Thunderbolt ...

Looking really good!

It's worth bearing in mind that some colour prints can deteriorate as they age. I have some of various airshows of the 70s and 80s, printed by a then-current chain - anyone else in the UK remember Supa-Snaps? Let's just say that I wouldn't rely on them now for colours of 70s-80s NATO jets.

Wich is a long-winded way of saying your OD is quite possibly nearer the true shade than the photo. Did I say the model looks great? :goodjob:

Edited by MikeC

On 4/17/2024 at 1:48 PM, MikeMaben said:

Thanks Michael, I wouldn't conclude that this pic is colorized. There are other pics from the same fighter group

that show some similarities. These a/c were re-acquisitioned from Brazil to Corsica and were painted in the

field in a rather hodge podge way (ie the rooster on the nose of the one I'm modeling is facing backwards).

I've thot since I first saw it that this photo was rather interesting in it's own odd way. Just having fun trying

to come close at least, as it's just another shelf sitter in the end.  Thanks for the comments tho.

UKCe5Eo.jpg

N1BYjC5.jpg

gpx9YLo.jpg

1TbUrKK.jpg

NBBUN1r.jpg

u5TYqck.jpg

I hadn't realised these were original colour pictures.  Great shots.  It's so good to have colour pictures of the plane you're modelling and these are fascinating too.  So many details to see.  Your rendition is turning out very close to these shots.

Cheers,

Michael

I use this as my main reference for USAAF World War II colours, as previously mentioned. 

Fighter command book

It was first published in 1991 by Motorbooks International so is probably out of print. The photos were taken by Bob Sand ( using Kodachrome ) and other groundcrew who also painted a lot of the nose art. It also contains stories/accounts by several of the pilots whose aircraft are featured.

I usually look at the sky first in any particular photo and if that looks good, like on the cover, then I take the aircraft colours as accurate. 

Edited by Biggles87

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Thanks gentlemen, almost finished, thinking about putting a pilot in the seat.

Hi Mike,

I think figures add so much to aircraft models and I'm surprised we don't see more models with pilots and crew members in them.   I guess, historically, we have been somewhat limited to the pilot figures included in kits - which probably explains why we don't many models with pilots in them!   :)

Can I suggest you take a look at this product? - https://masterdetails.com/usaaf-fighter-pilot-cold-weather-mid-late-ww-2

I have a couple of their modern USAF fighter pilot figures and they are amongst the best cast figures available.   Obviously they don't compare well with the latest 3D printed figures.   Anyhow, I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents worth...

Cheers,

Wayne   (Grissom) 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I use this as my main reference for USAAF World War II colours, as previously mentioned. 

Fighter command book

It was first published in 1991 by Motorbooks International so is probably out of print. The photos were taken by Bob Sand ( using Kodachrome ) and other groundcrew who also painted a lot of the nose art. It also contains stories/accounts by several of the pilots whose aircraft are featured.

I usually look at the sky first in any particular photo and if that looks good, like on the cover, then I take the aircraft colours as accurate. 

I bought that book when it first came out - it’s still one of my favourites and gets used probably more than any other..

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Grissom said:

Can I suggest you take a look at this product? - https://masterdetails.com/usaaf-fighter-pilot-cold-weather-mid-late-ww-2

Hi Wayne, yep, that's the pilot I'm using (just got assembled today). I have a couple more for future projects.

Does anybody know if our old friend Jay Laverty still owns Masterdetails ?? Just curious  :shrug:

Edited by MikeMaben

14 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Does anybody know if our old friend Jay Laverty still owns Masterdetails ?? Just curious  :shrug:

He never did, as far as I'm aware. His outfit was Mastercasters. But since he's presumably in jail now, I figure doesn't own anything any more.

Kev

Hi Mike, I just looked through your build thread and your work is fantastic.  I think the cockpit, engine and chipping stand out as especially well done.  There should be plenty of room in a Thunderbolt cockpit!

Ernest

I'm a lousy figure painter too Rich. I used to brush paint the whole figure. With this one I put the

guy together then primed , then painted the whole figure the tan suit color.  My hands aren't as

steady as they used to be so I did the details with colored pencils , sometimes dipped in water.

Other details were applied with some very tiny fine tipped brushes I have. There was plenty of

painting , booboo, painting to fix the booboo, another booboo, round and round  :rolleyes:

Find whatever you can with a fine pointed tip, doesn't  have to be a brush and apply small amounts

at a time. Don't be frightened, jump in.

(this from a rookie figure painter. We need folks like williamj  and others here who do super figures,

to show us how it's done).