OIF Blackhawk

John1

Thanks guys.  Been making some progress on the floor.  First off - I added the markings on the BAPS panels using an artist's watercolor pencil.   Nothing fancy (or legible) but once I've weathered the floor and buttoned things up, I think it will look ok.   Also added the pilot's floor armor and started work on the pilot's seats.   

u8i7sgP.jpg

Next up, I started weathering the cabin floor.   Iraq was known for the dust, it got everywhere.   This is the first step, using ground up pastels.   I'll continue to tweak this.  I also added some avionics boxes and wiring to the recessed area under the pilot's seats.   This area was mostly open, its purpose was to allow the pilots seats to collapse into it, in the event of a crash.  It was covered with a velcro fabric panel but these panels were easily lost.   I left the pilot's seat "box" exposed, the co-pilot's seat as the fabric cover partially in place.    I also started working on the center control console.    The kit's part was decent, but I opted to use the Quinta decals.   To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about these.  All I can say is that they look better in RL than they do in these following pics.   One thing I noted is that the Lima model has additional control panels at the back of the center console that aren't included in the kit.   They come in many different configurations, evolving over the years.  Here's one.

406858720_1305027510156133_7143186423303

I scratch built the two boxes at the aft end, using a slightly different control layout than the picture above.   I used Archer rivets to add a bit of surface detail.   Lastly, I continued working the pilot's seats.  The real thing is a pretty complicated assembly, with a lot of equipment added to the backside, for use by the Crew Chiefs.

Note the two first aid kits and the battery cover on the floor.  These parts are all in the Werner's Wings update set. 

406077752_1298845157441035_4836345726766

Werner's Wings also provides the black stowage pouch and crash axe, as seen below.  

406579448_1298845507441000_1606748620772

For my seats, I used the Eduard PE seatbelt set.   Some of the belts in the pictures are sticking off into space, that's because I will end up draping them over various interior bits after the cabin is assembled.    I also added water bottles (from Live Resin) since these were widely present with US troops in Iraq.  I textured the bottom seat cushions to try to replicate the sheep skin seat covers 

QJyR8qD.jpg

74Rd318.jpg

KHZfYbf.jpg

Also added some wiring and details to the pilot's control sticks. 

2BNrTJO.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, once I get a bit further along, I'll put the assembly in a cleaner background and try to take a few detailed shots.

Thats it for now, thanks for checking in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues.    I've added the rest of the major cockpit assemblies.   One issue with using the KH UH-60S-model kit is that the IP in the kit is completely different than the one in the Lima version.   The S has new LCD displays, while the Army version is all analog "steam gauges".  Thankfully a great ex-Army crew chief I met online helped me out by providing the long out of stock Eduard PE instrument panel that was originally released for the old Academy UH-60L kit ages ago.  The PE IP is pretty basic but it does the job.  The only problem was that the IP is finished in a weird purple-ish grey color, instead of the flat black on the real thing, as shown below.   As a result, I had to carefully overpaint around all the placards and instruments.  Here's the real thing.

406091652_1298845557440995_6048432116785

This picture does a great job of showing all the clutter of the forward cabin.  

Here's my work.  Disregard the co-pilot's harness projecting off into space.  Once the cabin is assembled, I'll have it draped over the side armor plate.   I also added some random wiring behind the IP and the crew chief's area.    

dtmbIOX.jpg

FMRDori.jpg

Next up was the crewchief's seats.   To the kit parts, I added Werner's Wings headrests, inertial reel housings on the side of the lower seat frame and (for one of them) a seat cushion.   These tube and hard nylon seats were pretty uncomfortable to sit in over time and some crew chiefs pilfered a pilot's seat cushion for a bit more padding.   For the harnesses, I used the new Eduard PE set.  I also used Milliput to scratchbuild the "pouch" that protrudes off the back of the seats. 

This shot shows the inertial reel assemblies and the "pouch".   

406107991_1298845364107681_5988609448927

These seats may not be any more comfortable than the ones in the old Huey's but they are much safer in the event of a hard landing or crash.   They are designed to attenuate the energy of a crash by collapsing towards the floor in a controlled manner.   The inertial reels (identical to what you have in your car) lock the harness in place.    The old Huey seats simply had rigid aluminum tubing and a very basic lap belt that was just bolted to the seat frame.    Here are my seats:

OIbxylH.jpg

hHnjpMD.jpg

I tried to reposition the harnesses so that they don't look identical.   PE Seatbelts that just drape straight down have always been a pet peeve of mine, just looks fake. 

So that's it for now.   Thanks for checking in, comments and critiques are always welcome. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last update of the year!   First up - I completed the troop seats that are going against the aft bulkhead.   They are the kit parts with a few additions.  I used the new Quinta seatbelt set.   Instead of applying the belts like decals, I let them dry a bit once off the backing paper and then twisted them to have them better replicate the real thing, supergluing them in place.  Much more realistic approach than just having them rigidly attached to each seat.   Most of the time when not in use, the seatbelts were tucked into a velcro flap on the seatback.  Kept them from getting tangled up or blown around by rotor wash.   For the two seats I opted to build like this, I replicated the open flap by cutting out a section of lead foil from a wine bottle and adding small portions of seat belts.   I also added the thin wires that support the legs of the seats and the triangles that attach to those wires (also made from lead foil).   Here's the real thing:

406074595_1298845314107686_8213842183436

Here's my humble replication:

L5ToPCB.jpg

hYuQvtv.jpg

Note that you can't see the seat legs from this angle but rest assured, they are present.  They angle back and secure against the rear of the floor.  

Also adding more details to the cabin area. Added a radar warning display to the instrument panel (carved off a gauge from the kit IP), the countermeasure safeing box mounted on the side of the CE’s storage bins, various wires, a coiled-up intercom lead on the battery box and a Grimes light on the side of the co-pilot’s seat.  Have to admit, I’m nervous about how well the cabin is going to install into the fuselage. Anyway, this is probably going to be my last update for a bit. I’m waiting on some parts to arrive in the mail (Reedoke helmets / helmet bags) and a set from Meng that has some rucksacks and Pelican cases. Need to clutter up the cabin a bit before moving forward with the final assembly. 

qNvQ3Zz.jpg

mrAQnIY.jpg

ZbuXPy1.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback lads, hope every has a safe and happy New Years!

• 3 weeks later...

Back with an update.   Work progresses on the interior.   My planned subject is a Blackhawk making a routine supply run to a remote FOB, flying out a few grunts and some of their gear.   Nothing glamorous but it was a critical mission that UH-60's performed in Iraq, made even more important as the threat from IED's made road travel extremely hazardous.    I've loaded up the cargo compartment with a bunch of gear, the theory being that this 'Hawk was just waiting for the crew and grunts to get in, before being cranked up for yet another mission.   I put a lot of thought into the layout of the cabin.   In speaking with a couple of folks on FB who were Blackhawk Crew Chiefs during OIF, they said that often times, they pulled all the seats out (except for their two seats) and strapped down any cargo with ratchet straps.   Cargo nets weren't used very often because the rotor wash could get them tangled and they became more trouble than they were worth.   Sometimes they left the aft 4 troop seats in place (as I did), sometimes they pulled those seats as well and the grunts just sat on the floor (major safety violation in peacetime but during combat, the need for seats and seatbelts were waived).   The standard (peacetime) seating layout for a Blackhawk included an aft-facing seat mounted between the two crew chief's seats.   The guys on FB said this seat was nearly always removed so they could store more of their gear on the floor.   The only time it was used was if an Instructor Pilot was doing a checkride with the crew, in those cases, they would turn the seat around so the IP could face forward   As soon as the flight was over, they pulled the seat out again. 

Anyway, enough Blackhawk trivia for today.    I had a hard time finding applicable gear for the cabin.  Finally stumbled upon a set by Meng that did the job.

OIP.oEEFnT9jilTARPTCDtnuQQHaEt?rs=1&pid=

I was mainly interested in the rucks and the "Pelican" cases that are commonly used by the US military these days.   

Next up were some of Reedoak's amazing helmet bags (2 closed and one partially open) and a HGU-56 flight crew helmet.   This stuff is amazingly detailed, the only downside is the cost.   

e6HzSDW.jpg

Lastly, I added a few water cans, ammo boxes and other odds and ends.   The ratchets were from an aftermarket resin set, the straps themselves were lead foil from a wine bottle.     I'm generally happy with how things came out.

MFoeGVw.jpg

lrExi0G.jpg

SeX1LOj.jpg

xlhjPhV.jpg

KiIFU4N.jpg

Painting the ACU camouflage was a pain.   I did the best I could, knowing that the stuff wasn't going to be super visible once the fuselage was sealed up.   Here's a real-life ruck in ACU camo pattern.

ACU_Ruck__77547.1443743176.1000.1000.png

Regarding colors - note that the color in the pics I posted above is a bit off.  The lighting I used makes everything look lighter and glossier.   You will have to trust me on this one.    

So that's were things currently stand.   Any suggestions, comments, etc are always appreciated. 

9 hours ago, matt_1185 said:

Looking good! What did you use for the dust effect ? 

I bought a pack of cheap artist pastels at Michael’s (a US based art supply chain).   $9 investment gave me a lifetime supply.   Just use an xacto knife to scape the pastel onto some paper and apply the powder with an old paintbrush.  So much better than using paint and if I don’t like the effect, I just wipe it off and try again.  

3 hours ago, John1 said:

I bought a pack of cheap artist pastels at Michael’s (a US based art supply chain).   $9 investment gave me a lifetime supply.   Just use an xacto knife to scape the pastel onto some paper and apply the powder with an old paintbrush.  So much better than using paint and if I don’t like the effect, I just wipe it off and try again.  

excellent idea! Thanks 

I'm calling the interior pretty much done.   Mounted the crew chief seats to the brackets on the ceiling, I'll install the legs and support wires once the seats are fully in place.   These fittings are pretty fragile, hope these seats stay secured!   Also repainted the crew helmets in Helo Drab (my original color was off), repainted the pilot's seatbelts as well.  They got repainted in a darker shade; this was pointed out by an Ex-Army Hawk pilot over on FB.   Lastly, I added another helmet to the co-pilot's seat.    Next up will be the most challenging phase of the build, glueing the interior subassembly together and getting it to fit between the fuselage halves.   Some initial dry fitting shows I've got some trimming / sanding to do here.    Wish me luck! 

Ea3NicF.jpg

zEmQcQQ.jpg

3j2rbAW.jpg

I've also got a decision to make regarding surface detailing.   The kit is covered with recessed "divots", in contrast, the real thing has very pronounced raised rivets.   On FB I saw a guy using tiny "solder balls" to fill in every divot.   The final effect looked awesome.   I'm trying to decide if I'm crazy enough to go this route or just bit the bullet and keep things as they are!  My order of 10,000 .030mm solder balls just arrived from Amazon.... 

53 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

John, that's beautifully detailed.

Just wish you could find that elusive P-51K to do it the same sort of justice.. ;)

I’m still in shock that Kotare didn’t deliver on this.   Would have been a license to print money.    Thought about trying to scratchbuild a D into a K but that’s simply overwhelming.   Maybe by the time I finish gluing 10,000 microscopic solder balls onto this model, someone else will have stepped up.   Let’s all keep our fingers crossed.   

Edited by John1