Sharkmouth to Sabotage - a Hunter's Tale

Madmax

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow! That’s a huge improvement on the original, I’m not sure that I’ll be going that far with mine though.

John

Hello John, I have to admit that the wheel-well fetish is truly silly. I don't ever leave my models upside down in the display cabinet!

19 hours ago, BLACK MAMBA said:

That really looks good! Can't wait to see a splash of silver over it all!

Howzit Black Mamba! Yeah, I think it will pop under some silver, and a lot of oil and grime...

17 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Superb detailing

Thank you!

15 hours ago, SwissFighters said:

Fantastic work on the wheel wells! Makes me want to follow your lead with my own kit. Perhaps too late now, but G-Factor produced landing gear which is as crisp as the original plastic and more than strong enough. Maybe an option if these don't hold up (but I sure hope they do!). G-Factor gear for the Hunter is available through Sprue Brothers and elsewhere. In my opinion SAC stuff is, in most cases, worse than the original in every regard. Looking forward to the next post! Tony

Hey Tony, I took a look at the G-Factor gear. It does look great, but was sadly not part of the Hannants catalogue when I was shopping for AM.  Brass looks like a far better choice for the legs in comparison to the near crystalline metal in the SAC casting. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent work, Sean! Are those metal legs from SAC?

Kev

Hi Kev, yup - SAC. I don't have much experience working with their products, and in retrospect it looks as if one should possibly just use a fine wire brush on the legs to clean them up. The heavy filing and sanding clearly isn't the best approach! :huh:

6 hours ago, Jaro said:

Fantastic job! This upgrade is a real game changer! Keep going, looking forward for next episodes!

Thanks Jaro, I'll do my best to keep you entertained! The intakes should be fun, since it looks like there are a whole lot of different approaches to getting them glued together, if one glues them at all... :hmmm:

Hi

great job on the wheel wells , I 've to admit that I was waiting for you in these particular areas .....if you're not a fetishist, what would it be  if you were? Maybe not  fetishist, but  perfectionist, if you didn't make such detailing ,  somethings would have been missing ....hat off

Alain

Edited by alain11

4 hours ago, Madmax said:

Hi Kev, yup - SAC. I don't have much experience working with their products, and in retrospect it looks as if one should possibly just use a fine wire brush on the legs to clean them up. The heavy filing and sanding clearly isn't the best approach! :huh:

What I tend to do with the SAC stuff is, once I've removed them from the packet, I pop them quietly in the bin, and grab a beer to drown my sorrows.

Kev

13 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:
18 hours ago, Madmax said:

What I tend to do with the SAC stuff is, once I've removed them from the packet, I pop them quietly in the bin, and grab a beer to drown my sorrows.

Kev

Funny, but true - the white metal is way too soft for their designed purpose.

Derek

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 8:36 PM, alain11 said:

Hi

great job on the wheel wells , I 've to admit that I was waiting for you in these particular areas .....if you're not a fetishist, what would it be  if you were? Maybe not  fetishist, but  perfectionist, if you didn't make such detailing ,  somethings would have been missing ....hat off

Alain

Hi Alain, I know you've got a thing for wheel wells too! I agree, something would have been missing... thank you.

On 3/11/2024 at 10:03 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

I'll be following your example in future Kev! :beer:

On 3/12/2024 at 7:19 AM, Cheetah11 said:

Wow Sean,

this is turning out to be a super build. :clap2::clap2:

You must have been a hydraulic engineer in your previous life. :lol:

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nick, I think I was actually an aircraft hydraulic pipe; trapped in an airliner and seemingly always under pressure! 

On 3/12/2024 at 11:57 AM, Derek B said:

Funny, but true - the white metal is way too soft for their designed purpose.

Derek

This has become abundantly clear to me Derek. 

On 3/13/2024 at 4:12 AM, KiwiZac said:

I'm a latecomer to this and, wow, what amazing work so far! I'm at a loss for words! Utterly gorgeous!

Thanks Zac, there's still a long way to go. Enjoy!

I have to admit that the air intake assembly has taken me a bit by surprise.

It is a lovely bit of moulding, but it has an inherent design problem. Come to think of it, real intake ducting for full size jets must pose some engineering challenges too. The snag is that it has to slide into two grooves on the side of the fuselage, and in order to do that it has to be flexible since the grooves taper toward the front. :hmmm:

The instructions don't really solve this puzzle, unless I have missed something? The first step indicates that the parts should be glued together, but held together with tape. I understood this as: tape will be required to hold the parts together while the glue dries. Notice also that the assembly is 'upside down' at this point.

_Z7A1436-X2.jpg

Tape will definitely be necessary to squeeze these shell halves together!

_Z7A1439-X2.jpg

I cut auxiliary bypass slots into the trunking, after going to school on all the information that Art Murray gleaned on his Swiss Hunter build.

_Z7A1442-X2.jpg

And painted the inside a creamy white to look like the flexible intake paint used in the later marks of Hunter.

_Z7A1446-X2.jpg

Then I glued the intake halves together, not thinking about all the warnings not to in previous posts, and not attempting to slide them onto the fuselage first. Dry fitting is just so boring! Now it was a simple case of following the instructions, flipping the assembly over and popping it onto the nose section...

Even though it says to use glue (in the corner of the instruction box), even I could clearly see Mr Revell didn't really recommend glue for this step.

_Z7A1437-X2.jpg

But of course, the intake doesn't slide into position, no matter how good you are at twisted metal puzzles or Rubik's cubes. So I resorted to the next best thing - force!

In this photograph, I make it look as if I planned a solution, but of course I didn't. The intake broke. It does however now slide into the slots with a bit of scraping sounds, and If you are intending to build one of these in the future, you might want to just leave the glue off one side of the splitter plates. Then it's flexible enough to squeeze into position...

_Z7A1459-X2.jpg

Right, now that that is out of the way, I wanted to lightly rivet the aircraft as the basis for some later weathering that reveals where some rivet lines run. Rivet a Hunter??? Yes, I know that seems wrong, but just look at what I did to the intakes. :whistle:

I have a plan. Most of the rivets are going to disappear under paint, but I couldn't think of a way of only doing some sections. Let's see how it works out.

_Z7A1453-X2.jpg

_Z7A1457-X2.jpg

I accentuated the rivets on the 'shoulder' of the aircraft, since that's where the most of the weathering happens.

_Z7A1466-X2.jpg

Then I got a bit carried away with the top of the wings. The patterns are really intriguing...

_Z7A1461-X2.jpg

At least I left most of the underside unblemished by the wheel of holiness. I am really impressed with the flaps. Despite requiring a bit of attention on the ejector pin marks, they are a lovely subtle bit of detail. Mr Revell clearly put his best team on flaps, and the rest were left to work out the intakes, and instruction drawings.

_Z7A1464-X2.jpg

Apparently the tail assembly and mini-jet pipe have some issues. Maybe I'll actually contemplate that section before reaching for the glue.

Until then, Cheers!

Sean

the riveting is insane!  Why can't I do that? I just can't concentrate long enough. The hunter is a huge plane - but so beautiful. with so many livery options. I love the attention to detail - the wheel wells and gear are amazing. Like the 'dry fitting is boring' comment.... sometimes it just feels good to give'er and damn the torpedoes... 

On 4/7/2024 at 12:53 AM, Archimedes said:

That is very tidy work Sean - you are working wonders with this kit!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul! It is actually a lovely kit, so I have an easy job enhancing certain areas.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:48 AM, MikeMaben said:

Yep , if it doesn't fit, push harder.  Looking good Sean.  :coolio::popcorn:

Only solution, thanks Mike!

On 4/8/2024 at 6:07 AM, Jboldt007 said:

the riveting is insane!  Why can't I do that? I just can't concentrate long enough. The hunter is a huge plane - but so beautiful. with so many livery options. I love the attention to detail - the wheel wells and gear are amazing. Like the 'dry fitting is boring' comment.... sometimes it just feels good to give'er and damn the torpedoes... 

If you look closely, you will actually spot mistakes in the riveting all over the show. Like many others who indulge in this insanity, I draw pencil lines where I think the rivets generally exist, and then free-hand the riveting wheel down the lines (or as close as possible). Often, the accuracy is better at a reasonable pace, so you don't have to concentrate for all that long! Give it a go sometime... 

On 4/8/2024 at 8:18 AM, mozart said:

Hunters are in my experience rather challenging kits to build but you’re making a good job of it Sean. :clap2:
(Memo to self: must do the final buts on Echelon build).

Hi Max, thanks for checking in. Your Echelon Hunter must be very, very close to completion by now - but I notice there is often another Hawker aircraft to distract you. :lol: