Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9: "Black 3" II./JG6 at Halle, Germany

Here is another example of a subject that, when I saw photos of it, I knew I just had to build it. Being that I hadn't yet added a "Dora" to my Focke Wulf collection, this seemed like the perfect opportunity. This was also an opportunity to test out a variety of late war Luftwaffe colors, from a variety of manufacturers. For a more in depth paint comparison, as well as the complete rundown of the build process, feel free to check out my WIP thread, located here: WIP Thread.  The paint manufacturers that I ended up using, were mainly MRP, AK Interactive's  "Real Color" line and Gunze/Mr. Hobby. There were also a few paints from Tamiya used, mainly for your more basic colors. All were acrylic lacquers.

In addition to the paint, I armed myself with the following additional aftermarket items. 

Quickboost

Exhaust

Cowling

Cowl Gun Cover

Instrument Panel Hood

Air Scoop (supercharger intake)

For the cockpit, I added the Yahu instrument panel and HGW belts/rudder pedals. I also sculpted a lumbar cushion for the seat, from Milliput and built the throttle from plastic scraps. To finish out the exterior and paint, I used the following:

Trumpeter Rivet Wheel for riveting the entire airframe.

Aber 13mm MG131 brass barrels (the 20mm barrels I made from aluminum tubing).

Jerry Rutman's resin spinner and his 20mm cannon mounts for the inside of the gear bay.

Montex masks (but they didn't make a set for this plane that I'm aware of. It was an A-8 set that had the correct font number "3" that I needed).

Eagle Editions decals for the stencils, even though it was from the set that includes this aircraft, I masked and painted everything except the stencils.

Speaking of not using the decals from the set; at the time that those decals were printed, there were fewer photos available of this aircraft. Jerry Crandall knew the approximate Werk Number block at that time, but other photos had since surfaced that made it more clear. So, I made my own decals for those, using my computer and some decal paper, along with Microscale Liquid Decal Film. In addition to that, I also ended up cutting my own masks for the fuselage crosses, underwing crosses and the swastikas for the tail, using my daughter's Cricut cutting machine and my scanner/computer.

The kit provides an "engine plug", which represents the rear portion of the engine that is visible on the D-9 when viewed through the landing gear bay. I took it upon myself to enhance this area, as well, using various wiring, copper and aluminum tubing and guitar string. The spent ammo chutes were made from rectangular brass tubing. The landing gear and bay received a similar treatment, by wiring the locking arms, tail wheel retraction line and I also added the tow hook eyes to the landing gear legs, using sheet styrene and brake lines from stretched sprue and wire. The tires even received valve stems made from stretched sprue. The gun camera in the leading edge of the left wing was represented by inserting a short piece of aluminum tubing, then inserting a "lens" made from a small section of stretched, clear sprue, polished on the exposed face.

This was the second build for me using my Harder and Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus airbrush. Armed with that and all of the photos of the subject I could gather, my goal was to try to get the camouflage as close to the real thing as possible. This was mostly in it's pattern, as the exact colors are always something of debate, especially with many late war Luftwaffe subjects. So, this is my interpretation. It's not perfect, but it was a ton of fun trying and, overall, I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I hope you enjoy it, too!

Happy Modeling,

John

20210330-014455.jpg

20210419-141531.jpg

20210425-153745.jpg

20231114_213505.jpg

Fw190-D-9-WNr601090-II-JG6-Halle.jpg

457eb371b2103d3094a46f0ee25da72b.jpg

Indoor_2.jpg

Indoor_5.jpg

Indoor_6.jpg

Indoor_13.jpg

Indoor_9.jpg

Shadow_6.jpg

Sun_7.jpg

Sun_3.jpgShadow_7.jpg

Sun_1.jpg

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

7 hours ago, Furie said:

Your langnasen is sublime, John, but you know, I’ve already written it to you.
I may have missed something during your WiP, but I would like to know if you did a special treatment on the canopy to make it very transparent? 

Denis,

I usually coat all of my canopies with Future or, as I currently have, Pledge brand "floor gloss", which is the same thing. It makes them look cleaner and also helps reduce/eliminate any frosting from CA glue, which I use a lot of.

John