P-47D Thunderbolt 1/32 - Gabby Gabreski RFI

DugyB

The fun has begun, I used Tamiya’s X-4 Royal Blue, not realising it’s a gloss paint…..oops…. Looks like a pretty good match so far. Thought I’d start on the bottom in case I screw things up, next up is the white touch up followed by aluminium. Then on to the upper wing and fuselage insignia. My trusty 40 year old single action Badger died on me, so I’m now having to learn how to use a dual action airbrush.   :hmmm:

53450982153_18a79cac1f_b.jpg

53451274515_89e2b04bac_b.jpg

Looking very nice.

Don't be afraid of a dual action airbrush. I used a single action Paasche H and a compressor with no regulator, most of my life, until a couple years ago. Made the switch to a H&S Infinity and added a regulator and everything changed for the better. My only regret is not having done it many years ago!:doh:

Keep up the great work!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Cruising along like a old shoe today, had a marathon with Tamiya tape today,  the flaps aren’t glued in, i only set them in place to check my alignment for the stripes on the wings.  A bit of overspray here and there I’ll touch up tomorrow.  Next stop is silver on the bottom … 

53457578051_b77fdc4c22_b.jpg

53457700363_1d2fd14afd_b.jpg

29 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

:coolio::speak_cool::popcorn:

Thanks Mike,   one thing I’ve learned is to be more anal with the placing of masks, oh and not get ahead of yourself.  I’ve had to remove the A’s on both sides because I placed them too close to the insignia… hopefully just a minor hiccup :whistle:

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Really nice work going on here.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,  thanks for peeking and the shout out,  it’s a lotta work with the invasion stripes, glad they’re behind me now.  

Edited by DugyB

1 hour ago, DugyB said:

Dennis,  thanks for peeking and the shout out,  it’s a lotta work with the invasion stripes, glad they’re behind me now.  

It's a great feeling when you rip off (gently) all the masking to reveal perfect markings and various other bits, even a few bits of leakage or lift cannot take away that grin.

Cheers

Dennis

I’m now armed with some stills and pics of Gabreski’s fighter.  It’s interesting to have a close look at them, I’ve always liked the top pic of him in his Bolt, don’t think Gabreski was very tall,  but geez the P-47 just looks HUGE here ….. Will try and paint it after the ID stripes were removed from the fuselage and wings, pretty much the day or two before he augers in…. 

53460777999_d254f3632d_b.jpg

53460465336_3658ab749e_b.jpg

Another hurdle cleared, I used AKs Extreme Metal Dull Aluminium on the bottom.  Letting it dry now and I’ll do a bit more tomorrow and then next stop is to the top.  I do like the mask look for the insignias too, and my signature thumbprint (barely noticeable) looks cool also  :D

53459953887_6293358813_b.jpg

Super job Dugy, 100% agree with Dennis about masked markings beating decals (and I too am rubbish with them!). I think being anal is obligatory if you’re a masker…..needs must!