1/18 Scale P-51B 3D Print Build

JayW

Wow, that is just gorgeous Jay.   Merci!   Thank you!  Whats a Talon?   And who is responsible for it?   Jets are for kids.  So are wheeled Helicopters we always use to say.   You gotta learn to land on skids in the mud or go home, damnit!   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Jay!

this is the first thread I check everyday. Super inspiring! Go buddy go!

Nothing like pressure.  :rolleyes:  I hope the folks who are enthusiastically watching as a 1/18 scale P-51B gets 3D printed before their very eyes (an exciting project in anybody's book IMO) first are not disappointed - for I do not have the crafting skills that some of the absolute geniuses on LSP have.  It's just awesome.   And second - I hope you have patience.  Unless I treat this as a full time job, it is going to take alot of time.  Time as measured in months if not years.  And of course we do not treat our hobby as a full time job.  This process is so involved.   Please be patient and don't lose interest.  There are very exciting things coming.  Just not very quickly.

Edited by JayW

22 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

What you guys are able to create using CAD and 3D printing is astounding, and here I am barely able to cut a square shim out of styrene sheet.

I was thinking on this a couple days ago.  Yeah - I have been working on a CAD program for a while now, and I am now mor acquainted with my 3D printer.  But 3D printing parts is usually much easier than scratch building.  I look back on the days of turning tires and wheels on the lathe, then carving on them to get the required details.  Huge projects.  Now, I can 3D print a tire and the hardest part is digitally creating contours that simulate a flat spot.  No comparison.    

Posted (edited)

I have updates.  My plan the last few weeks has been to finish up the "blue noser" painting, out of fear that the paint would degrade over time, and it will take a long amount of time to finish the fuselage to a point where the paint would ordinarily be applied.  To do that, I wanted to finish up the windshield surround and instrument panel assembly prior to painting, in order to minimize handling the (fragile) painted surface. 

Last we visited the IP and windshield surround was Feb 1, where I posted this picture:

1lGPplWh.jpg

Now, I have this:

3n0ERwqh.jpg

Added is a bunch of stuff below the IP:

Armament switch panel

Pilot's center switch box

Fuel shutoff bracket and handle

Fuel selector panel and handle

Hydraulic pressure gauge and bracket

Landing gear door emergency release handle

A close-up:

SfnXgqah.jpg

My stuff is never perfect, like some modelers on this site somehow accomplish, but this is the best I have done so far.  I'm good with it.  All these items should be familiar to the P-51 enthusiast.  All parts (with just a couple of minor exceptions) were 3D printed from the drawings, like usual.  The switch covers, turn knobs, handles and such were done separately and then bonded onto the panels, brackets, and boxes.  And, I will say again because it deserves repeating - Peter Castle is reponsible for the outstanding decals.  It must have taken him months to work it all out and have them printed.

Also, there were a couple of items added to the RH windshield frame:

BaVrdoph.jpg

They are:

Type C-5 fluorescent lamp

Recognition light switch box

Also 3D printed.  Very difficult and delicate installations with small parts.  I might add - this is the first of my 1/18 scale models where I have decent thumb switches.  Up til this point I have cut off bits of wire to do them, which is OK until you look closely.  Then not so much.  These however are 3D printed.  And as long as I am careful not to break them, they are fine.  MUCH better.  I will also add that upon studying for the upcoming Malcolm hood drive mechanism, I found that part of the field mod was to relocate the recognition light switch box further forward - the very same part that I worked so hard installing!  Grrr.  Wish I had noticed that earlier.  The reason - the box interferes with the opening/closing hand crank for the hood.  This:

35nP5DAl.jpg

I will have to follow suit and break off and relocate the switch box.  :angry2:

And then, it was time for the blue paint.  Assemble the forward fuselage with engine cowl onto the jig, and mask the critical paint boundary:

w22sW2jh.jpg

Here she is:

5oXZZAth.jpg

bsTCdlZh.jpg

The masks for the white crosses are from Thunnus - provided to me quite a while back.  Thanks John!

Here is what it is all going to look like:

LQkVs57l.jpg

v8ld9syl.jpg

5BZu72wl.jpg

I might add a semigloss coat to the new paint.  I think that's what I did with the engine cowl, and it should better the match.  BTW - the paint showed zero signs of degradation.  I guess I didn't have to go out of sequence, but I also would have fretted about it.  Now I don't have to. 

Lastly for this update - the Shapeways rear windows came in the mail:

klaBSnmh.jpg

"Diamonds in the rough".  And a bit pricey.  They will polish up very nicely I guarantee.  Recall the ones I printed off myself didn't fit very well; these fit perfectly:

Qic4CHvh.jpg

It is going to be a while before you see that crown part of the fuselage in action.  First will be the lower radio floor and fuselage tank, and then the upper radio rack and the SCR-522 radio equipment and the battery.  All in future installments.  

I believe the next step should be the Malcolm hood drive mechanism.  It will be all guesswork - whatever I can glean from the photographs I have.  I'm excited about it. And hope to have a great update in a couple weeks.  Take care all, and thanks for tuning in.   

Edited by JayW