I have switched from the infamous Photobucket to Flickr.

After three Tamiya F-14s, a Blackburn Buccaneer, a Vickers Super VC10, a Spitfire and an A3D Skywarrior it was time to re visit this long time resident on my Shelf of Doom.

So, here's where we are.

By this point, the Tamiya Corsair is not a "new" kit, but i keep learning new things with each one i build.

To that end, i've presented here what significant nuggets of information i'm able to pass along so far. I'll just do the data/photo dump first and then expand on any questions that get axed.

Fuselage-5

Fuselage-3 Fuselage-4 Fuselage-2 Fuselage-11 Fuselage-9 Fuselage-6 R2800-5 R2800-2 R2800-12 R2800-11 R2800-10 R2800-9 R2800-21 R2800-15 R2800-28 R2800-30 R2800-25 R2800-27 R2800-31 R2800-29

More to come, once i get settled in my new home...

-d-

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit more progress to report....

Outer wing panel fit check

i'm in temporary housing right now and my lighting situation is not the greatest, so i can do basic construction and sanding but no painting.

The flaps and ailerons are just press fit into the wings. I filled and cleaned up the ailerons and flaps separately, then once done i plugged em back into the trailing edge.

The ailerons in place serve to protect the sharp trailing edge of the aft wingtip, which tends to snag and hook onto anything close by (P-51 Builders will no doubt understand).

The outer wing panels are mostly done, the exception being the wingtip lights, which will require some painting and more sanding/polishing to integrate the lenses.

Outer wings test fit in place

If you follow the instructions carefully, the completed outer wings slide right onto the spars and cozy up to the wing center section just fine. A word of caution though is once the wings get glued on.... the model becomes suddenly heavier, and more ponderous and awkward to manipulate. So, i'm leaving wing installation off as long as i can. The lenses that comprise the gun camera window and the LSO line-up light will be the last things to go on.

So, until next time...

Always good to see a "Shelf of Doom" revival getting some attention, and this one is coming along very nicely.

11 hours ago, David Hansen said:

The ailerons in place serve to protect the sharp trailing edge of the aft wingtip, which tends to snag and hook onto anything close by (P-51 Builders will no doubt understand).

Oh yes indeed we do (or this one does at least).

14 hours ago, Jboldt007 said:

great post! I have an F4U-1A "in the hangar" and this info is very instructive. 

it's a great kit and obviously this is my third, but i don't claim to know everything about how to build this thing....

• 5 months later...

Well.... i think i decided on a paint scheme. Will be going with one of the VF-17 birds, similar to what's depicted on the box top.

Fortunately, there's no shortage of photos taken of VF-17s drama-filled workups aboard the then-new BUNKER HILL. The combination of black and white codes on the fuselage sides, along with the black painted propeller hub will look good.

It's an example of the somewhat unusual "Norfolk" paint scheme, which signifies the beginning the the three (or 4, in some cases) tone paint scheme.

It will be distinctly different from the two previous "Blue" Corsairs i've built so far.

Next task will be to get the wingtip lights and lenses installed.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, David Hansen said:

Thanks Brian.

The wheels are obviously resin aftermarket, but the rest of the undercarriage is just the kit parts and careful painting.

I'm a firm believer in weighted AM wheels for sure.

I've never been able to make IM two half wheels look weighted nor been able to make the seam disappear 100%.