quang

Dear friends and colleagues,
Like I said I was clearing my desk to make room for the new Italian bambino. Thus I took the opportunity to finish all my ongoing projects.

After the wurger bird in 1/35, here’s the finished bust of my heroine Amelia Earhart. It’s a 1/10 resin bust edited by Life Miniatures of Korea.
I painted it in Vallejo acrylics over a Gunze lacquer base. I’ve painted quite a few busts in a previous life all in oils. This time I put the oils aside and entered the new world of acrylics. I was using Vallejo acrylics like everyone in our hobby but never try to paint figures or miniatures with them. So this is what they call a ‘cross-over’ in music: jazz musicians playing bluegrass and vice-versa…:doh:

Anyway, here’s the result of a few weeks of brush-wielding. Hope you like it.

IMG-2722.jpg

IMG-2726.jpg

IMG-2728.jpg

IMG-2732.jpg

IMG-2733.jpg

IMG-2735.jpg

I particularly like this one. It looks uncannily like a newly- colorized vintage photograph.

IMG-2736.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and see ya next time under more familiar skies.

Cheers,

Quang

7 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Very nice!!!

Now you need a bust of Lydia Litvyak to sit beside her! 

And Amy Johnson of course (and while we're at it her DH Moth in 1/32) but we digress.

Superb model, and a perfect demonstration that you don't need oils to paint figures. :goodjob:

31 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Superb model, and a perfect demonstration that you don't need oils to paint figures. :goodjob:

It took me 15 years to find out :doh:

33 minutes ago, MikeC said:

And Amy Johnson of course (and while we're at it her DH Moth in 1/32) but we digress.

I don’t know about Amy but Lydia’s on the way :P

• 5 weeks later...

Just caught up with this Quang old chap, absolutely superb and totally convincing. I admire every square mm of the figure but the goggles are my personal “best bit”. Trying to replicate glass when it isn’t is a real challenge…..you’ve won! 

Max, you just put your finger where it hurts. :rolleyes:
Replicating glass in 3D (or even in 2D) has always been an artist’s nightmare.
You have to convince the viewer that: 1- the glass is transparent. 2- the surface is glossy. 3-the coloured glass is tinted.

My method is to deal with each factor separately and one at a time.

First to show that the glass is transparent, I paint the inside of the goggles the colour of the helmet underneath - as it there was NO glass.

Next step is to overlay it with a glaze of white and light blue to represent the sky reflected on the glass.

The final step is an overall finish of clear green-tinted varnish  to represent the coloured glass.

The true challenge is how to make the final result looks convincing notwithstanding the lighting conditions and the angle the viewer looks at it.

And this, friend… is a matter of hit-or-miss. :coolio: