Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero - Finished

Dpgsbody55

After a few days mulling over my next project, I've decided to tackle Tamiya's A6M5 Zero.  Mine will be a Nakjima built aircraft, and probably a carrier based plane too.  This will also the only large scale Japanese aircraft I will have to go on the shelf of done.  When I get there, that is.  Just like Rome, my models are not built in a day. :coolio:

RHBqDx.jpg

I bought this kit locally in September 2020 and immediately started to acquire some aftermarket bits from Hannants.  Once I've bought a kit, I usually start looking for bits to enhance it as soon as possible after purchase, especially in kits like this which were released a while back.  Here's what I bought for this one.

z6dA1C.jpg

This lot should slow the progress down nicely :lol:.  I've also made a printable copy of the tweak list on this site, so between the kit instructions, the Eduard instructions and that tweak list, I'm not anticipating a quick build.  Added to which is the fact that this kit is a little toy like in some of it's features, one part of which I've already assembled to satisfy my inner child. So after about three one hour sessions at the workbench, here's what I've got so far.

HTc1o3.jpg

The silver is Tamiya rattle can AS12, the aotake (did I get that right??) is daubed on with a brush and I've added my first etch pieces in the form of the green RDF tray and it's support brackets.  I've also been drilling out lightening holes in the cockpit and two of the various bottles that seem to adorn this plane.  My next step will be to paint all those parts in Nakajima interior green, then I can start on the cockpit.  It seems I can put the fuselage together without the cockpit, which can be slid into place later.  That should be interesting.

Since this is a Tamiya kit, it should be a fun build.  However, what I know about modelling Japanese planes would barely occupy a postage stamp, so please stand by for silly questions.  All help/suggestions/criticism gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Michael

12 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Good luck on this one. The Tamiya zero is quite a sweet kit, even more than 20 years later (dang time flies)

Matt 

I didn't realise it was that old.  Time certainly flies!!  I also have the Tamiya Spitfire IX in my stash which I bought when it came out.  I know that's not twenty years old, but it might be by the time I get round to it.  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Michael

Hi there, the Tamiya kit is really good so you should enjoy it.  Quick point:  You might want to revisit the color of the fire extinguisher bottles.  They should be black.

Check out Ryan Toews’ Tamiya A6M5 Tweak List that’s available on this site.  It’ll give you a lot of good information.

...and maybe a little inspiration:

uSqy08S.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

On 6/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, MikeMaben said:

Have fun Mike, I have the A6m5c kit so I'll be watching and learning.  :speak_cool::coolio::popcorn:

I guess I'd better finish before you start yours then. :lol:

On 6/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, amurray said:

TWENTY YEARS it's been?!?  Oh, geez!

Time flies.  Perhaps I must have been having fun. :shrug:

On 6/23/2023 at 10:37 AM, Juggernut said:

Hi there, the Tamiya kit is really good so you should enjoy it.  Quick point:  You might want to revisit the color of the fire extinguisher bottles.  They should be black.

Check out Ryan Toews’ Tamiya A6M5 Tweak List that’s available on this site.  It’ll give you a lot of good information.

...and maybe a little inspiration:

uSqy08S.jpg

Yes, it does look like a good kit.  Regarding the fire extinguisher bottles, I've decided to leave them as is because I can't now get them out to repaint without making a mess.  That'll teach me to follow instructions!!  I have got the tweak list and have referred back to it so far.  Thanks for the inspiration.  All that's needed now is perspiration. :)

On 6/23/2023 at 4:09 PM, dennismcc said:

For some reason I shy away from Tamiya 1/32 kits, I have a lot of them in the stash and I also enjoy building Japanese subjects so this might just spur me on,

Cheers

Dennis

I strongly recommend them.  They're so well engineered that they're quite easy to build.  Out of the box, the detail is excellent too.  I think it's a pity they haven't released anything new in such a long time, despite the emergence of other equally good kit manufacturers. 

On 6/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, Thunnus said:

Nice!  I'll have to do a Zero one day.

Well, would you start now, please??  :lol:  So I can follow your build, as they're always brilliant.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:12 PM, Gazzas said:

Oh nice, a Zero!  Will follow along.

Eh, don't follow me.  I'm following him . :rolleyes:

On 6/24/2023 at 1:10 AM, Rocat said:

Lovely project :thumbsup:

I'm following!

Hope you enjoy the build.

Cheers,

Michael

After doing more research, I've had a small rethink about my direction with this.  So no painting or assembling the fuselage yet.  On that last point, I've read that trying to get the cockpit into the assembled fuselage, when you've added stuff, is a definite no go.  I'll be assembling the cockpit into the fuselage while it's still apart, in the more normal way.  Insofar as anything around here could be considered normal. :hmmm:

So I've done some of the etch bits on the cockpit pieces and added a few hoses to one of the fuselage bottles installed earlier, as I was able to get a drill onto this part.

XJQLWt.jpg

On the other half, I've added a little Eduard etch today, but it's yet to be painted.  As Juggernut pointed out, these are fire extinguisher bottles which should be painted black.  However, as they're already installed, I can't repaint them properly and getting them out may make a mess, so I'll leave them as is.  The instructions are wrong here, btw, probably the result of copying modern requirement on a restored plane.  I wonder what else is wrong, however.

PP4mzI.jpg

Next, a couple of pictures of bits that have had some etch added.  This is taking a lot of time as I'm physically less able to spend time doing this sort of fine work nowadays.  Rudder pedals and pivot:

dtbz50.jpg

Cockpit floor and right side.  That wire on the right side was supposed to be two etch parts, but Something Went Wrong :whistle:.  So I substituted 0.3mm wire, inset into the back of the part.

ve8PzO.jpg

That's all for the moment, but I should have more to show soon.

Cheers,

Michael

Many of the etch pieces are now in place, so I've sprayed all the cockpit bits with Nakajima cockpit green.  The cockpit back frame has been painted firstly in aluminium on the rear surface, and green on the front surface.  I've added all the etch to this, as well as the seat supports too.  The rudder pedals have had etch foot straps added along with the star adjuster wheel.

Z6Vk8p.jpg

Another picture of the cockpit bits.  I sprayed the seat with aluminium base then green, so before seat belts go on, that will get some scratching.

uQKwFc.jpg

The cockpit floor is now more or less complete too.  The wiring was picked out with flat black, semi gloss black was used on some of the other details, and the three handles on the raised section in front of the hydraulic what's it (getting technical here, if that's OK :rolleyes:) were painted aluminium with sg black handles.  There's a clear window in front of the control column (check the gear's retracted???) and the rudder pedals and foot plates have been scratched up a bit too.

cWK57V.jpg

I've made a start on the cockpit sides, but only as far as painting some of the details.  Next time, I should be able to show them in all their glory.

Cheers,

Michael