Echelon Hawker Hunter

mozart

Quite a bit of occasionally brutal sanding done on the bottom, but it’s now as smooth as ……….. a baby’s bottom!

CrOCXC.jpg

Those sleek lines are as beautiful as a Spitfire’s in my opinion:

FjJJHe.jpg

I think I need to bite the bullet and fit the canopy and forward spine section next. The curve of the bulkhead behind the pilot is too small on the resin pit so I need to carve that off and fit one of the proper size that I’ve prepared. Then it’s paint! 

The only slightly daunting thing about the canopy section is that it has to be secured with two-part epoxy, need to be very “neat” with that! 

Edited by mozart

I’ve taken the internal masks off, and also the two larger outer ones in order to try to get the optimum fit, still work in progress. New bulkhead in place, that’s the critical shape to get a good fit.

7KMxS0.jpg

Edited by mozart

Thanks Alain. Alignment wasn’t an issue at all, but then it wasn’t with the Echelon Lightning either. Must be testament once again to Echelon, especially remembering that there are no locating tabs etc. I had considered putting a rod through the tailfin as a reinforcing support for the tail planes but I’m glad I didn’t bother! 

Fitting the airbrake, thought I’d do it now cos it’s easy to forget! Took a bit of careful sanding but it’s alright:

1IarLV.jpg

Next job is to make a couple of tapered fillets to go down each side:

cdtqyG.jpg

Could easily be a coat of grey on the top and sides soon, I think the canopy and spine fit is nearly acceptable. 

• 1 month later...

Chance for a bit of work on the Hunter today, I’m using my favourite putty/filler (Apoxie Sculpt) to clean up and fill in areas around the canopy and spine areas. This will take 24 hours to fully cure, so in the meantime I can get on with the fuel tanks.

jVyVkR.jpg

One of the benefits of making my own canopy masks, a new set always readily available! 

Edited by mozart

• 2 weeks later...