FB-23, yep I am at it again

Dandiego

With the conclusion of the F-103 project it is time to start on my next project.

Once again Chad Summers has graciously shared a new and exciting file with me. Chad isn't as crazy as I am. His files are for a 1:48th scale model. but with a few key strokes in the slicer program.....Viola, 1:32.

I have been printing some of the fuselage parts. Here are the first few sections of the nose. It is already 15 inches long.

ZguhmsZ.jpg?3

The FB-23 was developed in concert with the F-23. This is a much larger bomber version that was never produced. But that won't stop me.  

Stay tuned.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

9 hours ago, Dandiego said:

If you could print anything,  what would it be?

That is a good looking question!

Honestly not sure atm. I've been SO busy with redoing my truck and fully going over the electrical system in our trailer that I haven't put much thought into what I'd like to print up first.

Got some time to think on it as the printer won't get here until August some time

Well, for me, printing has become addictive. I print almost everyday. I find that I have several projects going at the same time.

Printing your own parts opens up so many avenues to almost any subject, any scale. Scratch-building the way I used to do, Skyshark, F-90 has become a relic of the past. Design is the new paradigm. 

Dan

I kinda don't know what to say, but just to tell I'm quite impressed! :) That's wassup! Just a little question - why are there those subtle ''inward kinks'' in the chines? If we assume it is based on the A-version, the vertical walls of the fuselage above/below the chines should have been straight (like on the Raptor)... here I tried to highlight them in red. The concave surfaces were a characteristic trait of the YF-version of the plane... as far as I know... :)

Untitled.jpg

38 minutes ago, F`s are my favs said:

I kinda don't know what to say, but just to tell I'm quite impressed! :) That's wassup! Just a little question - why are there those subtle ''inward kinks'' in the chines? If we assume it is based on the A-version, the vertical walls of the fuselage above/below the chines should have been straight (like on the Raptor)... here I tried to highlight them in red. The concave surfaces were a characteristic trait of the YF-version of the plane... as far as I know... :)

Untitled.jpg

Well I will have to say that don't really have an answer to your question. This is quite a different aircraft from the F-23A. So some differences are to be expected. Also since this design was never produced I would say that there is no definitive answer to exact airframe details.

I did not design this model so I am unable to answer design/shape questions. I don't know where Chad sourced the drawings he used.

All I can say is that this is one heck of a cool model. One of the dangers of working on these types of theoretical aircraft is lack of info, the need to make some educated guesses. Chad, and I,  aren't very clear on many details. Some drawings show 2 main wheels per side, others show 4 per side. Rear cockpit is anyone's best guess. What do the weapon bays look like?

I don't let these unknowns slow me down. I just like to build cool, one of a kind, big models. And this baby is all 3.

Dan