spoke to Airfix yesterday..

airscale

1 hour ago, LSP_Mike said:

In 1/24 scale I see:

Spitty mkI, Hurri mk I, 109E, Stuka, FW190 & Harrier - Airfix 1970s-ish

A6m5, George, & a really bad 109E, and equally bad P51D- Bandai

Trumpy- A6m2 + A6m2n, 109G & K, a good Hurri mk I, Spitty mkVb + floatplane, FW 190d9

VFS did a P40

I 'm not sure on the newer 24th kits, perhaps someone can add to this list.

If we know what's been done, we might have a better picture on what might be.

42 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Didn't someone do a P-47? Don't forget the Airfix Hellcat[ I gotta get me one of those]

2 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

That is a matter of opinion.

Besides Mike's list:

Crazy is right, VFS released 2 or 3 P-47 D Bubbletops. Pretty good in outline, detail rather heavy, especially in the cockpit.

Kenetic released a P-47D Razorback. VFS molds. Same problems.

Trumpy also released Hurricane IIC, IIC/Trop, and a IID. Really their best 1/24th kits, if a little heavy on the surface details. (what don't you like about them, DB?)

Trumpy also actually released four 109 G's; a G-2 as well as a G-6 early, late and a G-10. Some bad errors, unfortunately. And their Stuka's, all pretty error plagued.

Airfix's newer kits include the Mossie, the Tiffie in bubbletop and car door versions, as well as the Hellkitty.

In WWI we have Mengs very nice Dr.1 as well as the very rare multi-media Contact Resine Hansa Brandenburg D.1.

There are also some old Vac WWI kits out there.

As well as Fred Yarema's 1/24th Hornet and Attacker kits, vac with resin detail parts.

That is all I know of. Would love a 1/24th Corsair...

26 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

(what don't you like about them, DB?)

Trumpy also actually released four 109 G's; a G-2 as well as a G-6 early, late and a G-10. Some bad errors, unfortunately.

Sorry, Ray, I wasn't clear - was referring to the trum 109's. I've heard nothing but good things about the Hurri's.

Cheers,

Damian

I love all the niche-i-est comments and wishes.  You'd think Airfix could get rich selling 12 kits a year.  I really don't have a dog in this fight.  1/24 is just too much of a space killer for me.  I did the Airfix 109 and Spitfire back in the late 70's.  Was thrilling to be a kid with that much plastic in my hands.  Missed out on the Stuka. 

Hopefully it's not a 109F or G...   I'd hafta buy more than one.

9 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

In 1/24 scale I see:

Spitty mkI, Hurri mk I, 109E, Stuka, FW190 & Harrier - Airfix 1970s-ish

A6m5, George, & a really bad 109E, and equally bad P51D- Bandai

Trumpy- A6m2 + A6m2n, 109G & K, a good Hurri mk I, Spitty mkVb + floatplane, FW 190d9

VFS did a P40

I 'm not sure on the newer 24th kits, perhaps someone can add to this list.

If we know what's been done, we might have a better picture on what might be.

Vfs did 2 p47 razorback and bubble top. They were purchased and reboxed by Kinetic

To that lis, airfix did a p-51, f6f, 2x tylhoons

20 hours ago, Tony T said:

A 1/24th scale McDonnell F-4 Phantom II would have a huge market, and its shelf footprint is not really bigger than a Mosquito in the same scale.

I could see a lot of model makers of all ages being utterly thrilled by a big FG.1/F-4K Spey Toom. It would need folding rather than optional folded wings, or swappable outer wings to further reduce its display footprint, but would very likely be the kit of the decade.

An E.E.Lightning F.6 would be just as wonderful, but I don't think the Americans or Asians would buy stacks of them.

If it's a propellery subject I'd rather Airfix invested in a 1/48 Halifax or 1/72 Bristol Britannia.

Tony 

Now this could be a million dollar idea, IF they do it right! 

Never tought about it before but now that you mentioned it i want one! 

If they do a prop id live a sea furry. Monney wise corsair would sell well

Ppl keep mentioning the meteor, did we just get a good one in 1/32 ? I dont think that would sell much in 1/24

I think ideal is to have something with folding wings, that dosent necessarily have a great 1/32 counterpart this kinda takes the corsair out but does welcome in the F-86 minus the folding wings.

Its a tricky balance.

But Tony nust threw a wrench in with that monney printing f4, folding wings, no amazing 1/32 counterpart (taiya kit is getting kld and need a ton of am), would have infinite markings...

21 minutes ago, Neo said:

I think ideal is to have something with folding wings, that dosent necessarily have a great 1/32 counterpart this kinda takes the corsair out but does welcome in the F-86 minus the folding wings.

A Fleet Air Arm Corsair WITH folding wings would be very cool!

12 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

That is a matter of opinion.

We are modellers aren't we, no fun if every kit was a shack n' bake, in my opinion.

rgds

Jon

2 hours ago, Shoggz said:

2 hours ago, Shoggz said:

I dont think they would go for a Corsair as it is close the Hellcat in subject matter - but Ha ho I am usually wrong.

rgds

Jon

43 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

A 1/24th P-47 Thunderbolt has available for some time, now. Can't remember who make it, for the life of me...

Chris.   

Kinetic are currently offering three that I can see.

2 x razorback and 1 x bubble top

On 5/16/2023 at 5:16 PM, R Palimaka said:

I understand the desire for a 109, but I hope they continue with subjects with a British connection. I would love to see a Sea Fury or Tempest, but suspect it might not sell in the numbers they require.

I pondered this for a bit.

Why not?

They did the Typhoon!

The Sea Fury is such a great looking airframe.

Edited by CharmyDown

What will sell better than a 1/24 Spitfire IXc?

Narrow your desires accordingly

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ ♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤ 654321 ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ ♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧ 123456

It's all a game of luck. 

They'd be insane if they didn't do a [insert most obscure desire here].

Personally, I'd be really annoyed if Airfix didn't do [obscure] as we've been clambouring for [something only 1% really could care less about], so there!

Tony 

On 5/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, Zola25 said:

I have a feeling they burned their fingers on the F6F - I cannot substantiate that with any sales statistics so I am only judging by the people I know who didnt buy it - and are known to buy almost anything ^_^ I think it will be a while (if ever) before we will see something like a Corsair (unfortunately).

I've just been catching up with a TV series I recorded here in the UK called 'Hornby: A Model World'.

Hornby are the owners of the Airfix brand, plus others.

In it, Lyndon Davies, CEO Hornby, enquired about the Hellcat, a kit that had apparently been in development for some time. On seeing it, he insisted it be released as a statement to the wider modeling world that Airfix were back in serious business. 

He was advised the estimated sales figures wouldn't stack up.

So, that's why.

From the horses mouth!

37 minutes ago, CharmyDown said:

I've just been catching up with a TV series I recorded here in the UK called 'Hornby: A Model World'.

Hornby are the owners of the Airfix brand, plus others.

In it, Lyndon Davies, CEO Hornby, enquired about the Hellcat, a kit that had apparently been in development for some time. On seeing it, he insisted it be released as a statement to the wider modeling world that Airfix were back in serious business. 

So, that's why.

From the horses mouth!

Interesting story

But i do have to confess my deeply crooked mind read 

Hornby: A Model World

As 

Horny: A Model World

:whistle::oops:

1 hour ago, CharmyDown said:

So, that's why.

From the horses mouth!

The company that moulds the new 1/24th Spitfire for Airfix has been working 24/7 for months and still can't keep up with the demand. OK, a Spit will always be very popular, but - even in a time of financial uncertainty - Airfix are very capable of producing a genuine hit.

Chris.