Nichimo 1/20 Cessna 172 "Juliet" Scratchbuilt overhead console

Hawkwrench

I did a little bit more work on the engine accessory section.

I painted the oil pan gunmetal followed by a weathering using a AK aluminum pencil and white pastel chalk.

The oil filter was a big oversized cylinder, so I scratchbuilt one from my spares along with a generic decal and then glued on a resin bolthead. Waiting for my plug wires to come in to start wiring it up.

That's all for now!

20230430_003148

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I worked on painting alot of the accessories to the engine like the alternator, belt, starter and the cylinder covers.

That was followed up by a dirty wash using Tamiya black panel accent color. 

The cylinder covers were painted using the new Vallejo Game Color Blue.

20230508_024000 20230508_024025

Comments and critiques welcome. 

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Finally rounding third and heading for home on the engine.

I finished wiring the spark plugs and wires and made the engine baffles from construction paper and tamiya tape. 

It looks rough, but all baffles are like that from the cowlings being taken on and off repeatedly. 

I also scratchbuilt a oil dipstick tube from spare parts and glued a Anyz 1/32 WW2 knob onto a punched disk to make the oil cap.

Just a few more hoses and wires and she'll be done.

20230529_014249 20230529_014336

The firewall is about done as well. I just have to figure out from actual pics where the hoses go.

20230529_020222

That's all for now!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

Well, you’re pretty much there with the firewall.  Heavy wire from the starter relay to the starter, scat tube from the muffler shroud to the cabin heat box, oil lines from the cooler attach to either the pan or the crank case (I forget), and a fuel line from the sump/strainer to the carb.  Three control cables come from the carb and pierce the firewall - throttle, carb heat and mixture - and there’s a piece of scat that goes from the muffler heat shroud to the carb air box.  And then the various electric lines from the lights and engine instrumentation and a hard line for the oil pressure gauge.  Wires run from the voltage regulator to the alternator.  And hoses from the vacuum pump to fittings on the firewall to run the gyros.  Oh! And you forgot to  safety wire your oil filter.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Well, you’re pretty much there with the firewall.  Heavy wire from the starter relay to the starter, scat tube from the muffler shroud to the cabin heat box, oil lines from the cooler attach to either the pan or the crank case (I forget), and a fuel line from the sump/strainer to the carb.  Three control cables come from the carb and pierce the firewall - throttle, carb heat and mixture - and there’s a piece of scat that goes from the muffler heat shroud to the carb air box.  And then the various electric lines from the lights and engine instrumentation and a hard line for the oil pressure gauge.  Wires run from the voltage regulator to the alternator.  And hoses from the vacuum pump to fittings on the firewall to run the gyros.  Oh! And you forgot to  safety wire your oil filter.

Well crap, guess I gotta start over then!!! The scat tubes are going on this weekend along with a few more wires and fuel hoses.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Set the engine aside for a few and decided to tackle the instrument panel and center console. For the instrument gauge glass, i used laminating sheet.

The layout of the panel is different than the kit part and was supplied by a fellow Cessna 172 model builder.

Thanks John!!!

The radio stack was custom 3d printed by Arms Corps Models and his work is amazing!!!

20230701_213539

That's all for now!

Tim

• 5 months later...

Wow, 5 months since my last post. Sorry, but life and work has gotten in the way. For now, I'm back. 

I've been SLOWLY working on the interior of the 172, having to custom mix the interior colors to match the customer's colors.

More updates tomorrow night.

(Tried to post 2 pics, but it won't let me. Is their a new rule???)

Comments and critiques welcome!

Tim

20231202_020957

Edited by Hawkwrench