An end to colour debates ??

Bob MDC

I hate to be that bloke ,:blush: but we were using photospectrometers in Lithographic printing for pantone / ink matching nearly 30 years ago . Mind you they cost around 3-4 months pay each back then ....long before they appeared in DIY stores. 

It gave a CMYK result not an RGB one IIRC , but ended debates such as "do we all see colour the same ?" . 

Edited by Panzerwomble

13 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I think Home Depot has had a similar capability for a couple of years now, matching paint colors to whatever sample you bring in.

I just used that feature. The cream white trim paint was almost perfect.  Kinda spooky.  This means I have to buy more and finish up. 

Just my .02 cents, but I think color accuracy was also affected by the realities of war. Sure, Bf-109e-3's had the same colors, but I doubt He-162s being built in caves had the same standards. It would be foolish to reject a paint batch that wasn't the exact shade of RLM whatever, I think they ran with what they got. That said, there is no way anyone can tell you with any authority that your colors are wrong.

We are human beings. Thus,

1) In terms of physiology we all differ from one another in one way or another. We see colors differently because of our differences. 

2) In terms of weather paint will fade and appear differently over time; particulary ranges of heat and cold, rain and snow, intensity of the sun. etc.

3) In terms of variations of the same color produced in different batches by different manufacturers under different environmental conditions youse just aint a gonna get the same color all the time.

4) Many old paints change slightly over time, irrespective of exrternal conditions. 

Being hooman beans many of us love to disagree, argue and seek the impossible. Thus the debate over colors is and wil be never ending.

But we have fun.:blah:

Enjoy. 

3 hours ago, ssculptor said:

1) In terms of physiology we all differ from one another in one way or another. We see colors differently because of our differences. 

So true, and to give an example, when MrsC and I picked out a new carpet and curtains for the lounge some years ago, the colour was called "Aqua" or something like that, and she always said it was blue.  But I see it as green. 

Hang on a sec :hmmm: are we back at "Lou IV" again??

23 minutes ago, MikeC said:

So true, and to give an example, when MrsC and I picked out a new carpet and curtains for the lounge some years ago, the colour was called "Aqua" or something like that, and she always said it was blue.  But I see it as green. 

Hang on a sec :hmmm: are we back at "Lou IV" again??

"A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one." Dmitri Shostakovich

That is Dmitri's problem. Not mine. 

1 hour ago, ssculptor said:

"A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one." Dmitri Shostakovich

Does it not apply to modelling too? Certainly does to mine. Happy New Year.

19 hours ago, ssculptor said:

But clearly sir , you are aware that what Dmitri wanted to say was , "I have to work on the next composition..... or Comrade Beria's NKVD will send my entire family to the Gulag. "

His Violin Concerto No 1 was subtitled  "Whoops , I've been denounced again ..."