F-15DJ Aggressor - Finished.

Stokey Pete

Experiment number 1: A very quick and quite sloppy attempt at this scheme. 

I tried out the paint colours, using the horizontal stabiliser from the unbuilt kit. 
I’m almost convinced, maybe the brown needs a drop or two of red or orange to warm it up a touch. 

52682917013_dac497f1be_b.jpg

It looks pretty damned cool though. 

UPDATE.

52683353925_7299f62f21_b.jpg

I’ve tweaked the ‘recipes’ a little to warm the colours a touch. 
The left example being the original, vs the new attempt on the right. I also had a go at stencilling the grey areas for the decals. I’m rather happy to proceed based on the results of that little experimental session. 

Lessons learned from this? 
That it’s gonna take an awfully long time to get this one done, and that miles of masking tape will be needed. 

8 hours ago, Zola25 said:

Those colors look spot on to me - What colors have you used?

Thanks

Niels

They’re all from MRP.

077 - NATO Black which I tend to use any time I need black. It’s got a lightness that allows me to vary shades.

394 - Radome tan, to this I’ve added a couple of drops of yellow and maybe a tiny amount of red, to warm up the tone. (Still a WIP)

282 - olive brown, again with a couple of drops of yellow, and a drop of red to warm the tone up. 

7 hours ago, themongoose said:

I like the dark brown and the black. The tan I’m a little hesitant on. In the pic it looks a little more orange. How’s your test piece look in person, is it a little warmer?

chris

I’d agree with that assessment Chris. I’m waiting on seeing it in true daylight. The photo was shot under a fluorescent tube light which I think cools everything down. 

Update, on further reflection, I mixed up a small batch of orange. Added a couple of drops to the tan colour. This is the result. A much more pleasing result. 

52684067635_3e5f15eddd_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete

19 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

The colors look right to me Pete, and you are right this will be a complex masking job and the result will look spectacular.

Ernest

Thanks Ernest. 
My aim has been to paint as many of those little grey areas as possible. The DXM  decals are nice enough, but I’m wary of having 2 layers of decal for each marking. They’ll only be used for the complex shapes. 

Enjoying the build, excellent progress!! I've done a couple of JASDF Eagle Aggressor builds, last one i ended up with a ball of masking tape over a foot in diameter. Lots of small areas to mask, if you miss them, it looks off. IIRC i used the old Two Bobs sheet, had most of the stencils printed on grey backgrounds..

Don

6 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Enjoying the build, excellent progress!! I've done a couple of JASDF Eagle Aggressor builds, last one i ended up with a ball of masking tape over a foot in diameter. Lots of small areas to mask, if you miss them, it looks off. IIRC i used the old Two Bobs sheet, had most of the stencils printed on grey backgrounds..

Don

The DXM sheet is similar. There’s a lot of panel numbers with the grey backgrounds already on. But they also provide separate grey blocks and individual numbering too. The decal sheets are insanely packed. I’m kinda dreading trying to cut them off without trashing anything. 

52579034442_530452b2ac_b.jpg

9 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

The DXM sheet is similar. There’s a lot of panel numbers with the grey backgrounds already on. But they also provide separate grey blocks and individual numbering too. The decal sheets are insanely packed. I’m kinda dreading trying to cut them off without trashing anything. 

52579034442_530452b2ac_b.jpg

i can off a little mental stress relief in terms of stacking decals…i used the grey background and the lift here decals over one another and they laid down super smooth, nearly invisible before adding microsol. Very pleased with these decals!

40 minutes ago, themongoose said:

i can off a little mental stress relief in terms of stacking decals…i used the grey background and the lift here decals over one another and they laid down super smooth, nearly invisible before adding microsol. Very pleased with these decals!

That’s awesome to know, and will now make use of both layers. 

Ok, so here starts the painting in anger. This is the result of a whole afternoons work, and I’ve still to do the masking tape work as well yet. :BANGHEAD2::rofl:

I’m happy to say that I’ve managed to repeat my paint recipes several times with no variation between mixes.
During…

52687556903_6639039771_b.jpg

Preparing to peel…

52686559042_eb53383577_b.jpg

After…

52687487925_3380d76934_b.jpg

My only real gripe, if you can call it one, is that the painting order is back to front for my liking. I’d rather be painting the light colour first before finishing with black. 
The way the masks are designed and cut, means I have to paint black, brown, tan, greys.