F-15DJ Aggressor - Finished.

Stokey Pete

Yeah, mixed bag of opinions on my part with respect to order of painting. It seems to make masking simpler but complicates the painting part. You reminded me of that experience with them. I think the best solution, if you can call it that, was to cut the mask out leaving some space around it, then use the leftover surrounding paper as a mask that keeps my overspray to a minimum. I never found a way to avoid spraying primer back overtop the overspray. Those dark colors just have to be muted or they show through as you know all too well.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, Stokey Pete said:

Ok, so here starts the painting in anger. This is the result of a whole afternoons work, and I’ve still to do the masking tape work as well yet. :BANGHEAD2::rofl:

I’m happy to say that I’ve managed to repeat my paint recipes several times with no variation between mixes.
During…

52687556903_6639039771_b.jpg

Preparing to peel…

52686559042_eb53383577_b.jpg

After…

52687487925_3380d76934_b.jpg

My only real gripe, if you can call it one, is that the painting order is back to front for my liking. I’d rather be painting the light colour first before finishing with black. 
The way the masks are designed and cut, means I have to paint black, brown, tan, greys. 

hey Pete how are you planning to deal with the joint for the vertical stabilizers? I know you have built a few of these before and would love some advice. Especially seeing that you’re getting them painted now.

chris

4 hours ago, themongoose said:

hey Pete how are you planning to deal with the joint for the vertical stabilizers? I know you have built a few of these before and would love some advice. Especially seeing that you’re getting them painted now.

chris

In all honesty buddy, I have no idea. In the past I’ve simply been lazy and left it as is. I didn’t even know there was no seam showing on the real thing until recently, so I’ve always built oblivious to the fact. 
In all likelihood, I’ll leave this one too, the angular lines of the camouflage being a distraction to the eyes, leading away from the joint. 
If the opposite happens and I find it too much of a distraction, I’ll probably go down the route of taping up either side of the joint, and working a milliput joint with water and trying to keep sanding to an absolute minimum. 

Round 1 of 5 complete. 
This is the reason I’m going to be post shading this job, freehanded. There’s so much black real estate on this jet, and pre paint work would have been destroyed. 
I used Oramask copies of the masking films to locate the black outlines. They’re a bit more flexible for then curvier sections too.

52695556307_b7ce47e84e_b.jpg

Then hit it with nearly a full bottle of MRP NATO Black. 

52696722048_d5d766f22d_b.jpg

Almost masked and ready for brown.

52696281091_ff29afdce2_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Man that is a big beast Pete.  Looks like step one went off without a hitch though.

Ernest

I always underestimate how much plastic there is to cover on these big Eagles. At least I’ve remembered to mix up large batches of the brown and tan so I can maintain consistency. 

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Cool so far Pete ,  man that bench has been bombed  :o

It is looking a little war weary these days Mike. I’m terrible for blasting the airbrush clear of residual paint at the end of a paint session. 

The big reveal…

52699332545_54e1a5f3cf_b.jpg

Next to zero paint lift. Just a small few touch ups for overspray and alignment of some of the sections. 
Overall, I’m pretty darned happy with how it’s turned out. 
My head and eyes hurt now, so I’m gonna let it breathe for a couple of days before I start work on the greys and touch ups.