Luftwaffe's Warthog: The Hs.129

Uncarina

15 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice cockpit.  The Quinta decals give it a nice lift.

I used the Z-M/Eduard etch when I did mine, and this turned out well.  I built the fuselage before the cockpit, and put the shoulder belts on after attaching the completed cockpit to the fuselage.  They attach to the bulkhead separating the fuel tank and cockpit through the armour head rest, which has to fold back so that the pilot can get in and out of the plane.  Apparently, the fuselage insides were canvas lined.

The one thing to be careful of with this model is attaching the cockpit to the fuselage, or you'll have trouble attaching the outer forward panels later on.  It's not difficult as long as you can get a smooth transition through the gun troughs and the bottom rear cockpit mount line up well.  the it's plain sailing.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks again Michael. You weren’t kidding, and that step came up immediately, so your advice was fresh in my mind. I attached all of the bulkheads to the right fuselage, and test fitted the left after attaching each one. The fit is pretty impressive.

Cheers,  Tom

Just now, Uncarina said:

Thanks Andy! I also appreciate you and Michael keeping me on track, and I’m flatteredthat this build inspired you to get the   B-3.

Cheers,  Tom

So my last Hs129 I built as a Romanian airframe all bombed up and ready to go in a winter scheme as all the parts are there in the initial boxing. The B-3 will be built with the fuselage Bay covers removed in a spminer scheme.

Regards. Andy 

7 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Great looking office, Tom!

Thanks Gary! I have your work to thank for a lot of the inspiration.

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Nice save Tom!  I could never get Vallejo paints to work for me, you have obviously mastered their use!

Ernest

Thanks Ernest! It took some tricky painting. I’m with you: I couldn’t get Vallejo paints when airbrushed to ever work, but I find them the best for brush painting, due to their color density. In this case I wanted the slightly less uniform finish from brush painting anyway.

5 hours ago, mc65 said:

alright, you got me hooked, I'm going to try and get one of these kits! I didn't know anything about the internal lining of the cockpit, do you have any good books to suggest for me to study this kite?

TIA, Paolo

Thanks Paolo! It would be great to see you work your magic with this kit. The books I have (pictured in my first post) are probably not the best for the cockpit, but Andy’s photo is the clearest I’ve seen so far.

4 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

The North African photos are an amazing reference source! Are the barrels of rock and sand intended as aircraft protection, from bomb-splinters? It seems the most likely explanation, from where I'm sitting. Lots of great period details to be found here.  

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

Chris thanks, it’s my pleasure! I agree: the desert aircraft pics are fantastic. In fact, Red G (or C?) is documented on both sides, which is a big help.

Cheers,  Tom

18 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thanks again Michael. You weren’t kidding, and that step came up immediately, so your advice was fresh in my mind. I attached all of the bulkheads to the right fuselage, and test fitted the left after attaching each one. The fit is pretty impressive.

Cheers,  Tom

No problem, and glad it all fit as it should.  From reading elsewhere, I think this is the trickiest part of the build.  Get that part right as you have, and the rest is straightforward.  This is the first Z-M kit I built and a real pleasure, so I built another (Do-335A-12) and now I have two more Z-M kits in my stash. :)  Can't wait for their FW-190.

Cheers,

Michael

9 hours ago, Uncarina said:

the FW-190 will be a treat.

My kingdom for a 1/32 FW190 that doesn't have fat trailing edges and parts that actually fit.

From 2016:
"The Fw 190, which is currently under development, will be ready for next
year.
Hideyuki Shigeta
Zoukei-mura"

Edited by Woody V

Believe it or not, I managed to finish up most of the fuselage assembly, due largely to the engineering and fit, and also because I will have all hatches and panels closed. From trial fitting I suspected some of the interior pieces like the radios would interfere with the fit, so these items were omitted. Note: if you are assembling the hatches and panels closed I recommend doing so before the fuselage halves are attached. This way you can adjust the inside and outside of each piece for a flush fit. After I closed up the fuselage, sanded seams, and restored panel lines I finished riveting. A fellow LSP'er very kindly sent me a riveting diagram, and I used this before I started assembling the airframe. However, I reasoned that rivets would correspond to bulkhead locations, so I added them as well even though they were missing from the diagram, and I think it makes the fuselage look better.

vNsR4Gb.jpg

SdM5znJ.jpg

bu0loBZ.jpg

Kwc4Lp7.jpg

You might notice in the last photo that I removed the plastic between the rudder trim tab fairing and the corresponding rudder piece; I will be adding a short length of rod for better detail. Wings next!

Cheers,  Tom