Luftwaffe's Warthog: The Hs.129

Uncarina

33 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Nice job Tpm, falls together doesn't it!

Regards. Andy 

Andy, thanks, it does!

16 minutes ago, tucohoward said:

Very nice, Tom. I like the riveting. I do think in our scale it's a good detail to add.

Jay

Jay, thank you, and I agree! I actually like adding it, except when I mess up.

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, tucohoward said:

Very nice, Tom. I like the riveting. I do think in our scale it's a good detail to add.

Jay

Your right Jay, but I can never bring myself to do it. I've got the tools but never get round to doing it. Need to try and push myself to have a go.

Regards. Andy 

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thanks John! In some ways, it really resembles a warthog, especially face on.

Cheers,  Tom

actually, I think he is the cousin, if not the older brother of FMA IA-58 Pucarà: I found myself in front of the muzzle of one of these, and it was an illumination: for me they are undoubtedly relatives. :hmmm:

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Your right Jay, but I can never bring myself to do it. I've got the tools but never get round to doing it. Need to try and push myself to have a go.

Regards. Andy 

Andy with your skills you would excel. I actually find it a little addicting once I get into the rhythm, and for each build I first practice using a non-visible part like the inside of a wing, just to get a feel for how the riveting tool works with the plastic. For actual riveting once I’m back in practice I apply Dymo labeling tape, mark the line with a pen, then remove the tape and rivet along the line. I then freehand rivet along multiple curves like the top and bottom of the fuselage. That just works for me.

1 hour ago, mc65 said:

actually, I think he is the cousin, if not the older brother of FMA IA-58 Pucarà: I found myself in front of the muzzle of one of these, and it was an illumination: for me they are undoubtedly relatives. :hmmm:

I love the Pucara! Now that you mention it I see the resemblance, and long for a decent 1/32 kit. Until then I have the Kinetic 1/48 scale kit, which is a gem.

Cheers,  Tom

26 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Thank you Ernest! You would turn this kit into something stellar. Heading out to brave the 9 C weather now on my bike!

Cheers, Tom

You certainly are turning the kit into something stellar, that is for sure.

Have fun on your ride Tom.  I spent an hour on the trainer earlier today, a Wahoo Kickr V5 that has my road bike set up on it.  Weather has been too bad with very poor visibility for me to chance riding on the roads for the past couple of weeks.

Ernest  

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Thank you Ernest! You would turn this kit into something stellar. Heading out to brave the 9 C weather now on my bike!

Cheers, Tom

39 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Have fun on your ride Tom.  I spent an hour on the trainer earlier today, a Wahoo Kickr V5 that has my road bike set up on it.  Weather has been too bad with very poor visibility for me to chance riding on the roads for the past couple of weeks.

Ernest  

And you guys are cyclists too. Awesome! Building models and riding bikes have been my two main interests since I was a kid. Stay safe out there.

Jay

58 minutes ago, tucohoward said:

And you guys are cyclists too. Awesome! Building models and riding bikes have been my two main interests since I was a kid. Stay safe out there.

Jay

Cool another cycilist in our midst!  I am a fairly dedicated roadie Jay and enjoy riding quite a bit.  The only downside is how much it cuts into modeling Apr-Oct as I try to get in circa 700 kms per month.  Ride on man!

Ernest

Edited by Greif8

11 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Ernest  

Thanks Ernest! I completely understand about the weather, and the trainer is a big help.

10 hours ago, tucohoward said:

Jay

Awesome Jay! Me too. Do you prefer mountain or road?

Cheers,  Tom

I've completed most of the airframe assembly, and it went pretty quickly, again due to the engineering and fit. Prior to adding the wings I went back over the rivets to deepen them enough to show under paint, and used a beading tool to deepen the prominent rivets on the nose pieces, which are molded too shallow according to reference photos. After attaching the wings I added the remaining fuselage panels/hatches, and here is where I encountered my first significant fit problems. Three of the hatches join at the fuselage/wing interface, and since I was adding them closed there were some sizable gaps at the wing joint. Since everything else fit well I suspect these parts were intended to be shown open. As a result I used Tamiya putty to fill the ~1mm gap at the rear of the wings, and Vallejo putty for the finer gaps. After painting the appropriate parts RLM 02 I'll be adding the engines/nacelles next. I'm looking forward to paint!

GjzOFdp.jpg

LVgMCK9.jpg

yOORN0L.jpg

8k6jiVn.jpg

Cheers,  Tom