Su-25 Ejection

Finn

1 minute ago, rahulred5 said:

He ejected at low speed from an already slow moving Su25 so I don’t see it as impossible for the GoPro to be attached. I for one think this video is a real one.

However it looks like he may have clipped a power line and not from a Ukrainian missile as someone on twitter claimed.

my point was the instantaneous G’s from the ejection sequence; not the the speed of the aircraft. I can barely keep my GoPro attached at 5g’s. Must be a robust mount.

P

1 hour ago, John1 said:

On a semi-related and much more somber note, the HUD footage of the 2021 T-38 crash in Montgomery, AL was released a month or so back.   The USAF instructor and his Japanese student were both killed when the jet hit the ground while landing.   I don't feel it's appropriate to post it but it's easily found on the interweb.   It just illustrates how quickly things can go from normal to horribly wrong in aviation.    

That was a gross and completely preventable accident. Breaks my heart.

P

I think that its a Go Pro was an assumption.  Every camera people use for stuff like this is seemingly referred to as a Go Pro. Sort of like Kleenex or Band Aid. No one knows how the camera was attached or where. I assume his helmet. Who knows, he may well have bolted the thing on. The point is, simply because someone doesn't know all the why's and hows, doesn't make it fake. Its like the moon landing deniers who try to point out why this or that couldn't happen, but its usually because they don't understand how something actually works, functions or operates in space or on the moon. I have no idea why a military pilot would have a Go Pro in the cockpit in the first place, but that doesn't mean its not real. There is another one of these from a Russian helo shoot down/crash, the camera actually survived the crash and lays on the ground next to the helo as it burns and its ordnance cooks off. Anyhow, like most things, we will believe the "truth" we agree with. I'm sure its real, YMMV.

Edited by eoyguy

On 10/24/2022 at 8:25 AM, Cheetah11 said:

A still from the video just after ejection. About 2/3 of the fin missing and most likely an engine surge due to the yaw.

42E349C6-708C-4F36-BB5A-35F801569ECD.jpg

Star on fin should have two points on the bottom. One point means the star is upside down...

Or I'm missing something...don't think it's a squadron insignia, never seen a pic of a frogfoot with anything other than a star...slice looks too clean and neat, not with any debris or any damage at all, almost surgical. 

JMO.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

I don't believe that this is faked for a moment. If it were fabricated, they would have made the "action" MUCH easier to interpret.  Also, who would go to the trouble of faking it? The Ukrainians? I think that they have much more important things on their minds at the moment. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

57 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

Star on fin should have two points on the bottom. One point means the star is upside down...

Or I'm missing something...don't think it's a squadron insignia, never seen a pic of a frogfoot with anything other than a star...slice looks too clean and neat, not with any debris or any damage at all, almost surgical. 

JMO.

Don

Its not a star, its a V tactical marking. As for the damage, who can say what flying through a high tension power line will do?

txVEdPZ.jpg

qNzUY9G.jpg

Edited by eoyguy

On 10/24/2022 at 8:25 AM, Cheetah11 said:

A still from the video just after ejection. About 2/3 of the fin missing and most likely an engine surge due to the yaw.

42E349C6-708C-4F36-BB5A-35F801569ECD.jpg

Strange how the red star marking only shows 1 "spike" of the insignia- I'd think you'd see 2 partial spikes forming an inverted V shape.

9 hours ago, Finn said:

Some had the Z marking:

Jari

Couple of takeaways here:  Apparently Russians fly around the countryside randomly firing rockets at no discernible targets, Russians have never heard of lawn care on their airfields, and sometimes Russian pilots fly in their underwear.  Okay, that’s three but you get the idea.  Oh! And note the GoPro mount on the dude’s helmet.

4 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Couple of takeaways here:  Apparently Russians fly around the countryside randomly firing rockets at no discernible targets, Russians have never heard of lawn care on their airfields, and sometimes Russian pilots fly in their underwear.  Okay, that’s three but you get the idea.  Oh! And note the GoPro mount on the dude’s helmet.

They discovered that flying close towards the target tends to get plenty of return fire so they, and helicopters as well, have adopted the lobbing method of rocket delivery, not as accurate but a bit safer.  Also note the Su-25 wingman fires his rockets pretty much close to the same time as the leader, hopefully doesn't hit him and has to avoid the flares the leader pops off.

Jari

41 minutes ago, Finn said:

They discovered that flying close towards the target tends to get plenty of return fire so they, and helicopters as well, have adopted the lobbing method of rocket delivery, not as accurate but a bit safer.  Also note the Su-25 wingman fires his rockets pretty much close to the same time as the leader, hopefully doesn't hit him and has to avoid the flares the leader pops off.

Jari

Spray and pray.      Great tactics.   I’m impressed.