Hog's firepower display - A-10C - Full makeup

red Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Engine nacelles work is completed.

That was a lot more work than I thought. I used almost half a sheet of Quinta's 1/24 black rivets, that's a lot of them.

A10C_popup_190.png

I coated the whole with Mr Surfacer

A10C_popup_196.png

I must say I'm pretty happy with how the Quinta rivets turned out.

The film is barely visible after three or four applications of Daco strong decal solution.

A10C_popup_197.png

That missing row was visible before paint (original trumpeter rivet's) but after paint they disappeared. I will add a line of Quinta's  

The fuselage sides were also populated with a bit more rivets, on the APU exhaust plate and on the wing fairing which are totally devoid of details.

A10C_popup_191.png

The APU intake on the back between the two engines has been worked on as well:

- Thinned from the inside

- Riveted (I learned that curving rivet decal is not as easy as it sounds :) )

- Added some aluminium plastic strips after the intake was glued in place.

A10C_popup_192.png

One annoying fitting issue is is that the nacelle seems not to match the fuselage on the left side. The right side is good.
I decided to add a 0.5mm strip on the left fuselage side before gluing the nacelle. This should not crook the nacelle on the side.
That will prevent a lot of sanding on the top of the fuselage

A10C_popup_193.png

The notches for the adjustment tabs of the nacelles were cut out of the strip.

A10C_popup_194.png

Fit is much better with that 0.5mm strip, the rear does not suffer from it either. The added rivets on the APU intake really add to the model

A10C_popup_198.png

Just a bit more work on the top rear end of the beast and I will have the rear fuselage assembly completed. Then I can start the dreaded wings :)

Thanks for following

• 2 weeks later...

Rear fuselage is complete.

I still have a few things to do but there's no point adding rivets that may be damaged when I will join the two fuselage section together. 

I also left the vertical tails out for now.

I was lucky to snatch a pair of remaining Archer rivets in circle sheet from an European shop and I was wondering how I was going to define which size to use but when I opened the pouch I realized Woody had us covered by supplying a clear acetate sheet to help us chose which one to use.

A10C_popup_199.png

A10C_popup_200.png

Pretty awesome thinking @Woody V

A few panel lines and recessed rivets need correcting on the tail the forward panel line is misplaced and should be more or less aligned with the horizontal tail panel line where identified by the thin red line. The original panel line and its triple rivet line were filled with the water based putty which can be wiped away without sanding.

The tail cone which is articulated has a double panel line where a single one should be sufficient. It was filled in the same way.

I also sanded the white tube alongside the fuselage contour.  This is where the support rod will enter the model.

A10C_popup_201.png

Then applied different positive rivets. I also cut the Eduard formation lights at the same length of the ones below. I think I understand why Eduard made the mistake. They probably scaled their formation light between the panel lines. But since the forward one is misplaced ended up with too long formation lights. 
No grudge on Eduard as mine are still a bit too long. Nevertheless this is looking much better and the reason why I went the extra mile to displace that bad panel line.  

A10C_popup_203.png

Some minor rivet work on the fuselage side:

Not how the circle rivets stand out perfectly. I'm so glad I didn't have to bend a rivet line to achieve this. 

The single rivets (Armor 1/35) from Quinta are also very handy. they are a bit more tedious to place and I always secure them with a drop of Tamiya ultra thin cement.

A10C_popup_202.png

Before gluing the massive engine nacelles on the back of the rear fuselage, I gave a quick coat of paint to the fuselage sides under the nacelles as this area will be harder to get to later on. Rough pre-shading in black followed by MRP-038 for FS36375

A10C_popup_204.png

A10C_popup_205.png

The APU plate was also quickly painted  in steel with some hues of burnt metal. I will add the deflective cover later on.

The nacelles could then be mated to the fuselage. the forward and back edges were puttied and the engraved lines were matched.

A10C_popup_208.png

Lots of rivets were lost in the operation. The forward ones will be remade once the front and aft fuselages are glued together but the rear ones were added.

A10C_popup_206.png

Forward and aft fuselage mates pretty well and pretty strongly without glue so I couldn't resist trying the support rod in carbon.

Happy to see it does not bend with the current weight.

A10C_popup_209.png

It starts to look like and A-10.
Let's now start the dreaded wings 

Thanks for getting your weekly dose of A-10 modeling :)

Edited by red Dog

Thank you gents.

Here's my plan for the wings:

- Major issue is the sponson shape. I don't know yet how to correct this but clearly it will be lots of styrene and elbow grease for sanding

A10C_popup_213.png

- Close all gear doors. This is surprisingly easy

A10C_popup_210.png

- Find a way to secure the wheels up. I will use the Cutting edge resin wheels.

A10C_popup_211.png
Did you know that the way the gear is designed, the warthog can land gear up and the wheels actually turn and do their job even in the wells.

- Cut the aileron away and secure them to the wings. That is to provide more depth. 

A10C_popup_212.png

- Detail the dispensers - the sponson dispenser are undersized and will be replaced by the Cutting Edge parts. The wingtips dispensers will be detailed with CE resin and Eduard PE.

- Not sure I will keep the possibility to lower flaps. Beside the way Trumpeter planned this is only one notch of flaps. They can't go full flaps without further modification.
In flight, these should be up anyway - it is not like the A-10 needs to lower flaps to fly slow enough for refuelling. (It's rather the refueler that needs to pops the flaps and gears and spoilers :)

- Detail the wingtips with ALR-69 and MWLS sensors

A10C_popup_215.png

- Update the wing fence with the CE part. The slat is no true aerodynamic slat but a device to ensure the engines get good (not contaminated & not turbulent) airflow

It deploys when the gun is fired to avoid gun gazes to be injested into the engines and it deploys at high AOA to keep the airflow  getting into those giant intakes as less turbulent as possible. They are also deployed on the ground when the engine is out but since I'm doing an in-flight they should not be deployed.

A10C_popup_214.png

-Add the small Stall Detection Tab - it's the same system that on the aircrfat I fly :) 

It's visible on the picture above, between the sponson and the outboard pylon

- I noticed on some pictures again that some A-10 have a sort of tape on the leading edge of the wings and tails. (See picture above on the right) 
 do not know the purpose of that tape. If you have any idea I'm interested to know. I thought it was some sort of anti-ice protection system but it seems more like reflective tape. I'd love to know.

-Dunno if I will make a stronger spar that go through the fuselage to better secure the wing. I will assess that as I progress

- Detail all pylons with more rivets

- And of course detail and correct the panel lines and rivets where necessary.

Nice work to date. Looking spectacular.

I did add spars, not just to strengthen the wings, but I also lowered the wings as they sit too high on the fuselage, and the new spars helped to get the position right

interesting Talon.

I inquired the same about the position of the wing. Mostly due to the strake issue.

but I came to the conclusion that the wings were not too high, the strakes are just undersized.

When you look at the fuselage pylon and the wing position related to them, the position of the wing seems correct.

I'd be interested to know your development and how you came to that conclusion, as It not too late for me to correct if that's indeed the case .