1/32 Douglas TBD-1 Devastator by Trumpeter - TBD-1A in October 2023!

Kagemusha

On 8/23/2023 at 7:53 AM, firefly7 said:

There might be more floatplane lovers than you think, I'm looking forward to buying this kit.    Cheers.

Ah, I'm sure there is, I for one! I got a thing for float planes and flying boats and I can't tell you why[ got a few hours logged in a Beaver on floats ] ! I was happy flying that thing but it's definitely a different game  than flying a land plane ,big learning curve but fun!

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Honestly, to me the TBD-1A is a much better looking overall aircraft than the land born version.  

True it does look good but you know that it would be one slow D..O..G..! I mean the land plane versions weren't exactly zippy. I wouldn't have wanted to be caught in a combat zone in one of those , couldn't get out of it's own way. Thankfully no one had to do that. Bad enough that the crews that had to go into combat with the landplane types , those crews are to be commended the ones who sent them out needed to have a tender part of their anatomy put in a bench vise and squeezed !

Before going too far on the Trumpeter TBD, everyone might benefit from some of the things we discovered while writing Squadron's TBD Devastator In Action.  The large book (176 pages) hit the shelves on Monday and is now also available on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/386475906223 - I hope you all enjoy!

Cheers,

Dana

1 hour ago, Dana Bell said:

Before going too far on the Trumpeter TBD, everyone might benefit from some of the things we discovered while writing Squadron's TBD Devastator In Action.  The large book (176 pages) hit the shelves on Monday and is now also available on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/386475906223 - I hope you all enjoy!

Cheers,

Dana

Got my copy from Squadron a couple of days ago.  Very impressive!

3 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks for the heads up, Dana!

I'm assuming this is an improved version (or entirely new) of the old "In Action" title for the TBD. I have the old one. I'm curious of what may have been corrected or added in the newest addition (generally speaking, of course). The TBD-1 is definitely on my list of things to build and this new edition would certainly be on my list for references to obtain, in preparation for that.

Thanks again!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

37 minutes ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Thanks for the heads up, Dana!

I'm assuming this is an improved version (or entirely new) of the old "In Action" title for the TBD. I have the old one. I'm curious of what may have been corrected or added in the newest addition (generally speaking, of course). The TBD-1 is definitely on my list of things to build and this new edition would certainly be on my list for references to obtain, in preparation for that.

Thanks again!

John

Hi John,

Glad you took the time to ask - this is an entirely new book, based on three of us spending three weeks researching at the National Archives on Pennsylvania Avenue.  We found revisions to every previous book, particularly regarding:

- Development

- Engine installation

- Fixed armament

- That "kidney-shaped" lump on the right side of the forward fuselage

- Canopy design

- Hydraulics 

- Armor

- Formation lights

- Assistant pilot's flexible machine gun

- Norden bomb sight installation

- Gunner's installation

- Radio revisions

- Both approach light configurations

- Mark XLII bomb racks

- Wing folds

- Floatation gear

- Main gear strut revisions

- Production deliveries

- Paint schemes

- Squadron histories

- Wartime record

Additionally, the photos have been copied at very high resolution, and they're printed large, generally one to a page - you can see all the details.

My rule is that I won't waste my time writing a book that copies what is already written, so that you won't waste your money buying a book that offers nothing new.  My hope is that purchasers will find each book interesting to read and helpful for any modeling projects.

(However, I can't promise that anyone's wife will like it...)

Cheers,

Dana