Is the ZM P-51D pretty good or should I stick to the Revell Germany P-51D

oyoy5

29 minutes ago, mark williams said:

each to his owns still think that the ZM kits better, certainly though Mikes stand looks cool.Ithink things will change soon regarding straight plane kits as opposed to the open up stuff,Kotares surface detail will set the new standard.

Agreed but on a couple levels one may not be what you are thinking.  The new Spitfire shows separate parts for the Fusilage spine, the fuel tank armor, the engine cover, and I think the bottom engine fairing.  If I were to define the future of LSP, to me this would be it, elimination of seams that are not on panel lines.  Surface detail can be added or removed.  Take the Tamiya wings, technically they should mostly be filled, I did that on my current build, it is a lot of hours of filling and wet sanding.  For me I could see a P-51D done with an outstanding pit, no engine, excellent wheel wells and no or minimal seams to fill.  Even on Tamiya I have some to fill.  I think a formula of excellent exterior detail and thoughtful design will have a big place in 1/32.

I like ZMs style of design, but pending getting my Kotare Spitfire in my hands, right now I believe I will like their style better.  I generally consider Revell my last choice.  I could spend my time on other things in the build over fixing issues Revell leaves behind.  By the time you deal with seam filling on Revells kit, you are likely in for about the same amount of work as the Tamiya kit which is far more complex.  If it were not for my compulsion to use Baracuda decals in my cockpits, I could build the TAmiya Mustangs a lot faster than what it takes me in the end.  However in my current build I used a Baracuda seat with molded belts, Baracuada IP and their cockpit stencils so the pit took me forever.  However even just at a glance from the sides looking in I think it looks a lot better with all that stuff in there.

Edited by cbk57

I’ve built five REVELL Mustangs. It was a pleasure to build all of them. Is it a prefect model, no. The only complaints I have with the model are the flaps and the sliding canopy. I was lucky to have some extra Tamiya canopies and they fit perfectly. I added a resin Aeroproducts filet tail to another and it fit perfectly. Regarding the flaps, lots of sanding got the sink mark out and then with some riveting it looked great. As Mike said once it’s on the shelf they all look the same. It is interesting that the new REVELL Mustang with the fin filet has significantly jumped in price to about $60.00. Still a lot less expensive than Tamiya or ZM. 

Jim

Agreed, if one wants to do an extensive “build up” on the engine of any model, having said engine is necessary. I for one never display a model with the engine exposed. That’s my choice because I like the smooth lines of any aircraft. I’ve seen some magnificent models with all the engine wiring and ducting, that look realistic, hats off to those who like to do the extra work. 
Jim

6 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Question about the canopy:

Do the Tamiya P-51 canopies fit the Revell kit?

Thanks,

Damian

Second hand, but I was looking for reviews of the Tamiya kit and saw a build thread where the author claimed the Tamiya canopies "perfectly" fit his Revell build.  

Whoops, it was a thread here I found through Google.  Second post shows it in place.