1/32 Revell Messerschmitt Bf109 G-2 converted to an F-4 Trop

monthebiff

Been quite a while since I've done anything with this one. Been waiting for my head to be in a good space again to start painting this one as don't want to mess it up. I've made a start and painted all the yellow areas with AK Real Color RLM O4

20230409-093745.jpg

Time for some masking and then on to the tropical scheme.

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy

I've just read through your rather excellent conversion thread and wanted to mention something you might want to incorporate.

The 109Fs had a particular solution to boundary air running through the radiators. This basically took that air and routed through the radiator and out the back via a channel in the upper radiator flap, so that even with the radiator flaps closed, there was still a small open 'slot'.  Here's a link to a decent image that shows the difference between the F radiator and the later G solution.  Though your flaps are fitted, I think you could fix something with plasticard or thin alu sheet to replicate this.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/bf-109f-flaps.46140/post-1309593 Click on the image to get something reasonably higher res.

Cheers

Matt

19 minutes ago, mattlow said:

Hi Andy

I've just read through your rather excellent conversion thread and wanted to mention something you might want to incorporate.

The 109Fs had a particular solution to boundary air running through the radiators. This basically took that air and routed through the radiator and out the back via a channel in the upper radiator flap, so that even with the radiator flaps closed, there was still a small open 'slot'.  Here's a link to a decent image that shows the difference between the F radiator and the later G solution.  Though your flaps are fitted, I think you could fix something with plasticard or thin alu sheet to replicate this.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/bf-109f-flaps.46140/post-1309593 Click on the image to get something reasonably higher res.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for looking in Matt and that's a very interesting detail I've not seen before. I'm in agreement with you and will be a pretty simple add on even though the flaps are fitted.

Regards. Andy 

Cool, I thought you'd rather know about it and decide whether to have a crack at replicating it...

My only caveat is to have a look on Google or similar for some wartime images as the gap on that photo looks quite large and I recall it looking thinner on definite original images (i.e. I don't know if the image is an original part or a resto)...?

Looking good though.

Matt

I shall have a look Matt, the Revell G-2 is a nice base kit to backdate. I know a lot of people call the Revell 109's but they are great value and with some careful work build up nicely but you do need a set if replacement U/C legs as the kit parts are like plasticine unfortunately

Regards. Andy 

A little more and I have managed to get the main colour scheme down.

20230417_201119.jpg

20230417_201051.jpg

Rear stabilizers also painted and on this particular airframe are painted differently after a running repair with a replacement starboard part being fitted once this machine arrived at the Russian front.

20230417_201207.jpg

20230417_201229.jpg

So far so good and next up is the rough field applied camouflage

20220816-140233.jpg

20220816-140258.jpg

Fingers crossed I can  pull it off!

Regards. Andy 

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Very interesting scheme, Andy!  The tropical scheme base looks great so I'm looking forward to the interesting mottling!

Upper wing surfaces I'm feeling happy withbbut it's the fuselage sides that are scaring me at the moment as I want to do justice to the colour scheme.

Regards. Andy 

13 hours ago, monthebiff said:

A little more and I have managed to get the main colour scheme down.

20230417_201119.jpg

20230417_201051.jpg

Rear stabilizers also painted and on this particular airframe are painted differently after a running repair with a replacement starboard part being fitted once this machine arrived at the Russian front.

20230417_201207.jpg

20230417_201229.jpg

So far so good and next up is the rough field applied camouflage

20220816-140233.jpg

20220816-140258.jpg

Fingers crossed I can  pull it off!

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy , i am looking forward  to this too! The basic camo painting looks wonderful !

S.