Infinity Models 1:32 de Havilland Vampire F Mk.3

Iain

Thanks Thierry,

Yes, I have that image - and printed at 1:32 with respect to longitudinal dimensions - and I'm pretty certain now where some tweaks need to be made.  :)

I've also been comparing with the Airfix CAD for their 1:48 release.

So far the nose looks pretty good in side elevation/profile.

The nose is about the right length. It does look too wide towards the bottom in plan elevation - and too blunt on that section towards the nose.

The good news is that my current thoughts are that this is a fairly easy fix with a couple of razor saw cuts by the intakes and 'squeezing' the sides around a former and reshaped bulkheads - followed by squaring off the upper and lower mating surfaces.

I've already had it looking a lot better in plan and front view just by squeezing the sides in with my fingers! :rolleyes:

I'm still, cautiously, going through data I can find - any input there *really* appreciated! B)

The cannon muzzle positions are out and need relocating.

Cannon ports should be straightforward to relocate and I'll use styrene, or aluminium, tube to replace - depending on what I have on stock.

There are a few other things that need addressing also - but nothing I haven't had to do in similar fashion on mainstream kits.

I like this kit - and the build is progressing pretty well so far - but do reserve the right to change my view as things progress...

Made a little more progress at lunchtime - if I get a chance later I'll post more images.

Happy kitbashing everyone!  :lol:

Iain

Good to see you starting this one. I remember when the initial CAD came out, the nose looked a little bloated.  Guess that made it into plastic. Hopefully isn't too much effort to sort.

Look forward to following this build

Matt 

There's definitely something not right about the fuselage shape. The rear part of the fuselage nacelle looks bloated, almost area-ruled (coke bottle shape). And as for the nose profile - I've checked it against the Airfix 1/48 kit, as well as the Alley Cat resin kit and John Adam's Aeroclub corrected fuselage for the Classic Airframes kit, and it seems that the Infinity nose doesn't become vertical enough at the very front. If you sand a bit off, would that make it too short in relation to the nose wheel leg?

I'd trust the Aeroclub shape over anyone else's if there's a difference.

What with a dodgy fuselage shape and woeful sliding canopy (which looks like it will need a vac-formed replacement for sure), plus the thought of the time commitment for getting rid of all the fictitious rivets on the wings, I'm beginning to go off the idea of getting the Infinity Vampire. It seems like too much money for a kit that will need a lot of work.

I'm waiting with bated breath to see how it turns out. Good luck.

Tony P

The kit actually stacks up pretty well in profile against the Airfix CAD images (as I said earlier, these are based on LIDAR scans - so should be pretty accurate).

Airfix designer blog post with images.

Canopy isn't actually that bad - in fact, it looks like trimming a little off the rear of the sliding portion (frame area) the profile will match pretty well - with one caveat: The angle of the interface between rear sliding portion and the windshield doesn't look quite vertical enough from what I've gleaned so far - but I have a plan for that that won't involve replacement...

The aim of my build will be to improve the look of the kit - the nose area of the Vampire is a focal point of the airframe and can make, or break, the look. I'm reasonably confident at this stage I can make this close enough simply with some nips, tucks - and a little judicious 'bending'.  :)

Rivets - they're pretty fine - I suspect they'll pretty well disappear under a coat of my favourite automotive rattle-can primer and a quick sanding session.

BTW - assembled the tyre halves last night - the CAD designed detail parts on Sprue D are superb - and the fit is spot on.

Bit busy today - involved in some flying over the weekend (50 odd retired RAF Trainers at Goodwood and over south coast of England on Saturday/Sunday) so probably no further updates until next week...

Blue skies! :piliot:

Iain

Indeed, the CAD-made parts are exquisite. I also like the hand-made, nearly organic feeling you have when looking at the large parts. This is the same kind of feeling you get when looking at full scale airframes of that era. This would not make sense for a F-35 kit but, to me, this gives a convincing look. The rivets are not Trumpeter divots and I'm also convinced they will look ok under primer and paint. This kit will need a little bit of work but nothing looks terrible to me. 

Additional thoughts...

I've seen a few negative comments out there on the interweb - it's a short-run kit and, to be fair, anyone building this type of kit will probably have the skills/confidence to make some alterations to the kit if  they feel they're warranted.

If it had been a resin kit - at more than twice the price - I suspect there would have been less hyperbole - but because it's an injection-moulded kit it's 'too expensive/not accurate enough'.  :huh:

I'd also point out that many mainstream kits from the big names have their fair share of things that can be improved.

This is a limited edition kit - from a very small team - I suspect that it'll be the only injection-moulded Vampire we'll see in 1:32.

It deserves supporting IMHO.

I really don't want this thread to put people off - hopefully it'll give some ideas for possible modifications others may want to incorporate in their builds, or not.

If not - you'll still have a nice looking Vampire IMHO.

For me fettling a kit what modelling is about - and I quite enjoy it!  :)

Iain

I'm with you Iain, a lot of the kits that I build are not exactly Tamiya quality but I am just grateful that someone has kitted a subject ignored by the majors, there is always AM and if desperate modelling skills.

The Vampire is not on my list  of wants but if it was I would have bought it regardless of the negative comments, I do have an Infinity SB2C in the stash in spite of the challenges because I want a kit of that subject..

Cheers

Dennis

On 8/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, Iain said:

There's a whole family of conversions that may be possible with this and the Matchbox Venom Thierry - I'd love to do a Venom FB Mk.1, or FB Mk.4...

Want to get this one cracked first - and I don't have the best reputation for actually *finishing* things!  :lol:

Iain

Actually I thought about building a Venom FB4 and a Vampire T22 (with a modified nose). This should be possible if you cross-kit the Vampire and Sea Venom kits.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, thierry laurent said:

One thing that is going to ask for work is the air intakes as the full scale ones were totally smooth. This is probably the most useful item that could be offered in resin!

...or printed... ;-)