1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Tei Hien

Thunnus

Three awesome projects, no matter the direction you take.

Really like the progress on the Tony. Have you tried out the Ammo Shaders yet? They seem to be the same as the venerable black-brown mix, and can be cleaned off with water or Micromeshed off if you don't like the results. I like how they work on the limited tests I've done so far.

Matt 

Thanks guys!

On 8/9/2023 at 5:32 PM, scvrobeson said:

Three awesome projects, no matter the direction you take.

Really like the progress on the Tony. Have you tried out the Ammo Shaders yet? They seem to be the same as the venerable black-brown mix, and can be cleaned off with water or Micromeshed off if you don't like the results. I like how they work on the limited tests I've done so far.

Matt 

Thanks Matt! I was not aware of that product but it looks like a good way to achieve more consistency with this method.

Trying to push this one over the finish line but other things keep getting in the way!

After doing a bit of post-shading on the top, I had to confront one of the bigger finishing hurdles... salt weathering.  I don't think this technique is appropriate for every build but I think a worn Hien would benefit from it. Here is the model after the salt application.
IMG-4925.jpg

After the salt is completely dry, I sprayed a VERY diluted lighter color (Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55) over the salt.  After the salt is removed, you should have some random stains on the surface of the model.  This is what the model looks like after the salt weathering step.

IMG-4931.jpg

IMG-4929.jpg

IMG-4930.jpg

And another look at the bottom after the first post-shading pass.
IMG-4933.jpg

The landing lights are solid resin pieces that came with the Wolf Pack conversion.  I painted the lights silver and then clear blue (or red) over that.
IMG-4942.jpg

The Ho-103 machine gun barrels for the wings, which I fashioned from sections of brass tubing, have been painted and glued into place.
IMG_4202.jpg

IMG-4945.jpg

The Ho-5 20mm cannon barrels are metal and came with the Wolf Pack conversion.  These were painted and glued into the cowling.
IMG-4946.jpg

IMG-4947.jpg

The resin exhausts and the baffle plates riding above have been glued into place.  Previously, the exhaust stains were built up during the post-shading process.
IMG-4948.jpg

IMG-4949.jpg

The tail wheel and the small actuators for the tail control surfaces are glued in.
IMG-4952.jpg

I think all of the spray work has been done so I can finally pull of the canopy masks.
IMG-4953.jpg

IMG-4954.jpg

IMG-4955.jpg

I have two version of the sliding canopy section, one closed and one open, so I can alternatively show the canopy in the open position.
IMG-4956.jpg

You can see the oxygen mask I made lying on the seat.
IMG-4957.jpg

Just a few more bits to go and this one will be finished...
IMG-4958.jpg

On 8/9/2023 at 5:51 AM, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the feedback!  

My first weathering step is to use spray a very highly diluted mix of brown and black and run it along the panel lines and joints.  I also use it to create subtle streaking corresponding to airflow across the surfaces.  It should be really subtle.  If it is too heavy, I rub it away with Micromesh.  The Micromeshing itself leaves interesting staining patterns too so I guess it contributes to the weathering process by way of partial subtraction.

IMG-4916.jpg

IMG-4917.jpg

Hey,

been following this and it’s really looking cool!

i like the thinned black/brown spray approach though personally I would be a bit apprehensive of spraying on too much, but I guess once you have airbrush technique nailed it’s ok

i also like the buffing / gentle sanding for additional effects - I will definitely be trying that!

thanks as always for sharing your builds here

Nick