Hobby 2000 Messerschmitt BF-109E-3 - Finished

Dpgsbody55

On 8/7/2022 at 3:32 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Yep, the old Hasegawa Emil is too long in that area. Basically, the cockpit is in the wrong spot, being too far aft.

Kev

Another reason to wreck this old build.  I've had the idea of fitting the engine into a Ki-61.  But that's a while off at the moment.

Cheers,

Michael

On 8/13/2022 at 1:29 AM, Thunnus said:

Keep us updated on the cowl part, Michael!  I'd love to see this build continue.

Me too.  Other than a couple of silly things in the instructions, and a missing part :angry2:, I think it's the best Emil on the market.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Look what I got yesterday!!  :m0152:

MqFSjR.jpg

The downside is that the part fits as badly as reports have suggested...  :(

sTWNjb.jpg

As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it. :hmmm:

I'll worry about this later and investigate a fix once I've finished my present Hurricane build.  But at least I can see how I'm going to finish this model.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Michael, I have now built two of these kits, the latter with the engine cowlings attached. I remember having to adjust the inner sides of the cowlings and then gently apply pressure the right places to make it fit - but it did fit well. It is probably just a case of not clicking into place on your model. It's a tight fit for sure.

Jens

Thanks for the tip on this.  I'm still working on my Hurricane build in the Nocturnal Activities group build, but this question is rattling about in the back of my mind.  I'm hoping I'll be back on it in a month's time, and I suspect that part of the cowl does hit something beneath it, so I think you're onto something there.

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrected from the shelf of incomplete, not the S O D. The model has been sitting about on a shelf adjacent to my work desk for the last couple of months.  Taunting me, like that annoying cat that just sits there looking at you...  :rolleyes: :)

In the last week, while finishing off my Hurricane build, I've been tinkering about with that ill fitting gun cowling.  A bit of judicious bending here and there has improved it, but it also needed some grinding of plastic on the inside surface too.  This has improved the fit to a degree, but I don't think it will ever fit properly.  I've come to the conclusion that I've made an error in the way I fitted the engine to the fuselage.  A look at the picture I posted on 17th September shows a gap on the lower edge of this cowling extending all the way to the exhaust.  The rear edge of the lower engine cowl does not connect with the fuselage.  Here's that picture again.

sTWNjb.jpg

A little grinding on the inside surface has brought it down a bit more, but the plastic is already on the thinner side, so I can only take off so much material.  It's now a bit translucent in places.  The intake fairing has been fitted to help align the height of this part in relation to the intake itself.  Don't want a step between these two parts.

8RiQRg.jpg

As I said, I managed to get it down a little, but it won't go all the way down, and there's a gap between the top of the engine cowl, and the top of the gun cowl.  Some of the real aircraft had this, so I'm going to leave it as is.  I've put a 0.5mm strip at the base of the opening which also seals the gap at the back of the lower engine cowl, and this is how it looks now.

QiU4q1.jpg

KCaXEH.jpg

T'other side.

dJUOAH.jpg

I've got this to fit a little closer since this pic was taken, but it's still not brilliant.  I'll have a bit more of a go at the cowl to see if I can make any further improvements, but I've also fitted the last small parts needed before I can start painting.

Mass balances to the ailerons, gun covers and pitot tube added.

qzpizu.jpg

Radio mast.

oPqRag.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

I've spent some more time on this gun cowling, test fitting, grinding, head scratching, test fitting, grinding, head scratching, etc, etc....  I'm still convinced I've made a mistake in the way I've mounted the engine, so by now, I think it's a s good as it's going to get.

After a bit of some test fitting and grinding, I decided to add a little extra plastic to the bottom edge of the cowl.  This was sanded back after it had dried and a little paint added to test.  Here's the result.

hOjLj6.jpg

The back of the engine cowl does sit down better than the picture indicates, but the masking I have inside is messing it up a little.  It should look better once this is removed.

The right side still wasn't fitting well, so more test fitting, grinding, etc, etc, and here's the result of that.

wcYgwe.jpg

So I thin k it's now at a pint where I can do no more with it.  It's pretty flimsy in many places now, so I've decided to leave well alone.  I don't want to have to source the gun cowl again.  :frantic:

After taking these pictures, I've added a missing panel line below the rear glazing on the left side as well as tidying up the right side fuselage where I let the canopy pivots into that side. 

My next step will be masking and painting.  On that subject, I have a question for the 109 experten.  I've already painted the prop spinner, back plate and prop blades in black, though these are not yet assembled.  However, I have a notion that the prop blades should be black green.  Is that correct on a 109E??  Hoping someone will be able to throw some light on this for me.

Cheers,

Michael

4 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I've spent some more time on this gun cowling, test fitting, grinding, head scratching, test fitting, grinding, head scratching, etc, etc....  I'm still convinced I've made a mistake in the way I've mounted the engine, so by now, I think it's a s good as it's going to get.

After a bit of some test fitting and grinding, I decided to add a little extra plastic to the bottom edge of the cowl.  This was sanded back after it had dried and a little paint added to test.  Here's the result.

hOjLj6.jpg

The back of the engine cowl does sit down better than the picture indicates, but the masking I have inside is messing it up a little.  It should look better once this is removed.

The right side still wasn't fitting well, so more test fitting, grinding, etc, etc, and here's the result of that.

wcYgwe.jpg

So I thin k it's now at a pint where I can do no more with it.  It's pretty flimsy in many places now, so I've decided to leave well alone.  I don't want to have to source the gun cowl again.  :frantic:

After taking these pictures, I've added a missing panel line below the rear glazing on the left side as well as tidying up the right side fuselage where I let the canopy pivots into that side. 

My next step will be masking and painting.  On that subject, I have a question for the 109 experten.  I've already painted the prop spinner, back plate and prop blades in black, though these are not yet assembled.  However, I have a notion that the prop blades should be black green.  Is that correct on a 109E??  Hoping someone will be able to throw some light on this for me.

Cheers,

Michael

Black green RLM 70 is the correct color.