Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

2 hours ago, D Bellis said:

There are actually 5 mirrors in the Tamiya kit. Sprue B (horizontal stabilizers), parts 16 through 20:

jzdltQC.jpg

It looks to me as though you need part 18 for Butch Baby.

HTH,

D

Thanks, D! I do indeed have all three canopies, and as far as I can remember, the kit was new when I acquired it. It would have helped if Tamiya had included a parts layout in the instruction booklet, as the only RVM mentioned in the assembly sequence is the one on the clear sprue (so we're talking 6 all up, covering 4 different types).

Well, at least I've now got that small but prominent feature covered. Thanks, everyone!

Kev

36 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Hey Kev

The BMF patch around the tail warning radar is actually a raised plate that the antennae are attached to.

HTH,

Damian

I thought as much. I'll just mask off the shape and build up the area with some Mr. Surfacer I think - especially since it will help disguise the mess I've made! The Tamiya kit has a small piece of photo-etch that slides over the central loop on each side, which I'll be using to help as well.

Kev

2 hours ago, Furie said:

I'm glad these pictures can help you, Kev.
And I hope that this little accident on your Mustang is soon fixed.

I think the situation is, mostly, in hand.

Kev

So a quick update! May I present to you, Darth Vader's Mustang:

XZJiKQ.jpg

The sliding hood has now been masked off inside and out using the Montex masks. These required some additional help in the form of liquid masking fluid - in this case, Mr. Masking Sol Neo. I'm not a huge fan of the stuff, but at least it's easy to get off. The inside has been sprayed, and I'll do the outside in the next session.

If I had any doubts about having the canopy open on this one, a proper test fit with the token slide rails in place shows that the sliding hood is too short to meet the canopy anyway:

kCj7Mf.jpg

No doubt this is my own doing when cutting it out, but at least I have another option, and one that I had already chosen.

Oh, here's how the tail antenna is looking after my attempts to blend it in:

thbsJ4.jpg

I've amped up the exposure on those last two photos, so that you have some hope of actually seeing something. Anyway, I think it looks OK, and as I mentioned previously, I intend to build up the surrounding mounting plate with Mr. Surfacer, and that should help even more, provided I don't get too much build-up on the antenna poles themselves. But that's a job for next time!

Kev

6 hours ago, Furie said:

lNAA_P-51D_Mustang_Walkaround_H-307_Dutch

Hell,

at this point with that money shot, I would almost be tempted to strip off the PE and plate up that section with some styrene, then knowing they were round, bend 1 U shape and 2 rods for each side out of some jewelry wire................but yes, much more work and I usually never like stripping away something Ive already worked to fit.

Either way, looking good!