Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

Nice to see this will get some progress, the Hasegawa P51 is the only P52D in my display cabinets, I have fond memories of building it.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. Happy birthday!

Kev

• 2 months later...

Just bringing this one to the fore, as it's one of the in-progress builds I have that I really want to finish before I start any more. It has been sitting on the sidelines for months now, stalled because I have no idea how to proceed with the weathering (and because my first attempt to paint the national markings was a failure). I really need to get it done, so would appreciate any tips, advice, prompts, recommendations, warnings, sympathy, empathy, donations, and general words of wisdom and encouragement from my betters.

Here's a reminder of where it's at:

gt3IGz.jpg

Kev

Nothing wrong with that Kev it looks like an ideal blank canvass to me, when I fail with painted on markings I go the lazy route and use decals to get the build over the line.

It would be a shame to abandon it now after the work that you have already put into it, and it does look good as it is.

Or you could go the HGW wet transfer route, I believe that they do P-51D markings, I have had mixed results with them but like painted on markings when they work out they are really impressive.

Either way just go for it.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for your input, fellas. The finish already has some usable variegation from the black basing, and I was hoping to really push my weathering on this one. I'm pretty comfortable with post-shading using darker colours, but with this one I wanted to do some fading and lightening of the Olive Drab first, since it's already pretty dark, and only going to get more so. Quite why this has so completely paralysed my progress I'm not sure, other than not really knowing how to approach it. For the sake of just getting the build moving again, I'm just going to work on other areas, and see what happens.

Kev

Why stress about the weathering, Kev? There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with a lightly weathered model and, as others have said, there’s already some lovely variation there. I often feel weathering effects are over-done and rarely resemble the real thing - all for the sake of an ‘artistic’ finish. My advice would be to put some decals on and get it done - you may surprise yourself at how happy you are with it.