Trumpeter F-8C Conversion, Brown Bear's 1 V 6 Duel (29 Apr: Done)

easixpedro

11 hours ago, John1 said:

51980669963_f28a3a6963_b.jpg

That's a "right-click and save" shot for sure (just in case I ever do an F-8 or an A-4).  As you mentioned so many details to take in, such as the absolutely filthy (and extremely small) flight deck, the replacement nose on AH416 and that crazy sci-fi looking antenna sticking off the side of the island.   Thanks for taking the time to post these pics, it adds so much to your build.  

You going to grunge up your F-8 as bad as some of the examples you posted here?

You bet I am!  One of the things about this picture that struck me is look at the exhaust from the carrier. It's called stack gas and is super nasty and corrosive stuff. It's dropping all over the flight deck and all the airplanes. Have a lot of pics and personal accounts from these guys--the depot at Cubi Point had a steady flow of aircraft they were doing repairs on and surprisingly the majority involved corrosion vice battle damage (though there was a lot of that too). I've got more pics of that sort of stuff that I'll share as I get going on the weathering.

On those scooters, check out the various rudders too. Some are white, some gray. Also the intake warning changed too. And of course you spotted the new radome. Frankly, I'm appalled looking at the kids on the flight deck with no flotation gear and very few cranials--just the ear protection.  How more of them didn't get hurt is always a wonder.

Sat down to do decals last night and the "AH" tailcodes that I'd planned on using from the kit shattered into a bajillion pieces. So more masking and spraying in my future. Will put a coat of sealant on the stencils and the few remaining kit markings I'll use. Minor set back, but still annoying. 

-Peter

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Not the squadron you are doing but one moving up to the cat:

019_19.JPG

a few other photos here:

https://twentyseven-charlie.blogspot.com/

Jari

Holy crap Jari, thanks for jogging my memory! Had totally forgotten about this blog! Those pics are spectacular and everyone should take a gander.

Seriously.

Click.

On.

The.

Link!

The pic of how the poor kid who attaches the holdback fitting, has to lay on his back and let the plane taxi over him...then roll out from underneath it?! And in glorious color too. I can only shake my head in amazement. NAVOSH (OSHA) would have a coronary if that was SOP today.

Thanks for sharing Jari, and keep 'em coming! 

1 hour ago, easixpedro said:

The pic of how the poor kid who attaches the holdback fitting, has to lay on his back and let the plane taxi over him...then roll out from underneath it?! And in glorious color too. I can only shake my head in amazement. NAVOSH (OSHA) would have a coronary if that was SOP today.

You mean like this guy:

Jari

10 hours ago, Finn said:

You mean like this guy:

Jari

THAT'S the exact video I was thinking about!

It's crazy. No float coats. Some cranials, some hearing protection. No eye protection. Blows my mind...

Love that 27-Charlie link Jari, thanks for posting it.   Still amazed that an A-3, something almost as big as a 737, could operate from those small decks (or actually, any sized deck).     

Pete you must have been heartbroken that you joined the fleet when you did.  A few decades earlier, you could have been flying in an EKA-3B! 

On 4/9/2022 at 6:27 AM, John1 said:

Pete you must have been heartbroken that you joined the fleet when you did.  A few decades earlier, you could have been flying in an EKA-3B! 

Yes and no.  I really, really wanted to fly A-6s, but the last 2 squadrons stood down the day I got my wings. In reality, I was just thrilled to make the childhood dream come true. As for picking Prowlers... had nothing to do with the mission. I grew up in the mountains of CO.  During flight school we did a cross country up to the PacNorWest. Spent the weekend up at a park on Mt Rainier and was hooked.  Too much like home to pass up, so off to Whidbey Island I went.  Spent a lot of time hiking the Cascades when I wasn't deployed. Which turns out as Prowler guy, was all the time.  Wouldn't have changed a thing though. Grew to love the community and the mission. We're all on the same team and all important to the overall goal.

break break

As for the build, took the better part of last week off as I took my daughter on another campus visit. Then it was momma's birthday, so taking care of familial matters took priority.  Managed to spend a few moments at the bench late last night after all the dust settled. Was able to mask out the "AH" on the tail and start applying some decals.  It's a mishmash from my bin of decals--interestingly enough, Trumpeter gives you a ton of stencils, but none of the rescue arrows or ejection seat placards.  Studying the photos show that there's no standardization and about eleventeen billion variations. And most appear to have been painted over with corrosion control efforts. 

20220410_190331

Still plugging along, will share some more once I get the markings completed and start the weathering. Will also have to sort out the Y-racks. I'd rather leave them off as Trumpeter's are all sorts of wrong. But, Brown Bear's jet had 'em on this mission, so I'll have to fix 'em. Debating how many AIM-9s to leave on there--by the end, he had one left on the rails that had failed (the other 3 missed). It's a toss up between fixing the missile racks or fixing the AIM-9s...

More soon.

-Peter

Happy Easter folks.  Managed to get the decals on and a panel line wash on. Will work on some more weathering as most picks I've seen from this point in the 67 cruise, show some pretty beat up planes. No kidding, for three years straight  they lost half their planes and a third of their pilots.  What was left was cobbled together to meet the flight schedule. 

Have started on the MiG while I decide how to tackle the horrible pylons and AIM-9s.

Anywhooo, on to the pics.

20220417_141338

20220417_141355

20220417_141417

20220417_141639

20220417_141553

20220417_141433

The pilot looks great, but I really should have made him twisting around in his seat to peer down at the MiG. 

More soon

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to Trumpeter F-8C Conversion, Brown Bear's 1 V 6 Duel (19 Apr: MiG-thoughts?)

OK want some opinions. Managed to get some Tamiya rattlecan AS-12 on the MiG.  The Vietnamese People's AF started camouflaging them as the air war ratcheted up, but the paint took a beating in the tropical climate. I wanted to attempt it as the AS-12 dries rock hard and Vallejo acrylics are easy enough to chip off. Down side is that 1/72 is so small I couldn't manage the darker shades and just dabbed 'em with a brush.  When I went to chip it, those dots stayed and the underlying paint lifted right off.  Looks OK on the bottom, but not happy with the overall effect.  

20220418_202112

20220418_202203

Think I'm gonna strip the green and reattempt. What do you think? Too overdone?  (no idea on the real markings mind you, so this is a generic representation with lots of artistic license)

-Peter

Edited by easixpedro

Honestly...?

I'm not getting really enthusiastic about the green and I'd stip it (especially if it comes off easiliy)

I always though this was a pretty cool scheme I, one day, intend to do on my AZ '17, with blue-tak shapes covering the metal finish.

s-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

By the way, if you need them, I have some markings (including the nose numbers separately to puzzle your own together) for 1/72 VPAF MiGs, just let me know if you're interested and I'll look the sheet up.

Jeroen

5 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Honestly...?

I'm not getting really enthusiastic about the green and I'd stip it (especially if it comes off easiliy)

I always though this was a pretty cool scheme I, one day, intend to do on my AZ '17, with blue-tak shapes covering the metal finish.

s-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

By the way, if you need them, I have some markings (including the nose numbers separately to puzzle your own together) for 1/72 VPAF MiGs, just let me know if you're interested and I'll look the sheet up.

Jeroen

Ohhhh, cool scheme!  Stripped it last night. About a five minute dunk in some windex (ammonia based window cleaner) and the greens wiped right off.  Now to decide how I want to tackle the camo.

Also, blew up some Hasegawa 1/48th pylons on a copier so I could check 'em against the Trumpeter ones.  Lordy those things are all sorts of wonky.  Kind of the right size, but the shapes are all out of whack. Need to think for a bit on how to tackle 'em...  More soon though!

-Peter

On 4/5/2022 at 8:28 PM, easixpedro said:

Holy crap Jari, thanks for jogging my memory! Had totally forgotten about this blog! Those pics are spectacular and everyone should take a gander.

Seriously.

Click.

On.

The.

Link!

Thanks for sharing Jari, and keep 'em coming! 

Thanks for sharing that  - just top-notch view from the "trenches".