Model box art: what happens after the box?

Oldbaldguy

I think we all agree that box top art often sells a model, particularly if it is a really good rendering of whatever is in the box.  There is some truly cosmic box art out there and some of it rivals the best of aviation fine art.  Obviously, this is all commission work, so where do the original paintings go after the box tops are designed and printed?  Surely they are on display somewhere and don’t just disappear into the ether or get shoved into a corner to wither and die.  I’d love to see some of the really good ones up close and personal in an exhibit or even in something like a coffee table book.

4 hours ago, somebody said:

I think Tamiya publishes box art books periodically.

Hasegawa certainly does. I know one guy that bought a few prints (not originals, as far as I know) from Squadron/Signal (fabulous Don Greer stuff), when they were recently clearing house. The originals may well go to collectors.

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Hasegawa certainly does. I know one guy that bought a few prints (not originals, as far as I know) from Squadron/Signal (fabulous Don Greer stuff), when they were recently clearing house. The originals may well go to collectors.

That’s what I was thinking.  Aviation art was quite the thing therefor a while.

Whooooooo Hasegawa’s  Shigeo Kioke box art brought out the kid in me! I saved all the box tops from years ago when I started buying models again.

those things should be made and sold in 5X7’s…..feet that is, or wallpaper….dogfight wallpaper? Not sure my wife would like it but man I sure would!:D

36 minutes ago, chrish said:

Whooooooo Hasegawa’s  Shigeo Kioke box art brought out the kid in me! I saved all the box tops from years ago when I started buying models again.

those things should be made and sold in 5X7’s…..feet that is, or wallpaper….dogfight wallpaper? Not sure my wife would like it but man I sure would!:D

Here you go Chris:

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=Shigeo+koike

I love his artworks as well.  

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I could be wrong but reading the Roy Cross book about classic Airfix artwork a while ago , as most of the artworks were produced quickly and commercially ( "just another job"), once used, they were mostly discarded, not being see an important by the customer other than to put on the box for the relaunch / whatever . 

The book is an interesting insight , as a standalone commercial artist he was producing concept sketches and occasionally different offerings for the same model , alongside lots of other work for other agencies .   

The Vintage Years of Airfix Box Art Hardcover