P-51D-5NA 339th FG FINISHED

MikeC

A little bit more painting.  The IP is done, and I decided to go with the kit part for the centre console.  A little bit of painting, and a decal from the kit - yet to be added - and it won't look too bad.

20210915-143418-2.jpg

Time to fit the equipment rack on the fuel tank, and it all looks simple: fit the three pins on the rack into the three holes on the fuel tank.

20210915-143607.jpg

Errrm - how many holes?

20210915-143634.jpg

[Edit: I should have  checked more carefully, it seems there is a "blind" hole the other side.  Guess I missed it somehow - senior moment!

Edited by MikeC

• 2 weeks later...

And there I'm going to have to pause it: just got a commission of a Valiant for a magazine on a short deadline.  Who said 1/72 was small? That thing is huge!

But the Comet will be back asap. Thanks for staying with me so far.

Edited by MikeC

It´s looking good! I have two Tamiya in the stash - and one WIP (painting stage) - yet still tempted to get one of these for a cheap and quick (lol) build to hone some skills.. ;) So nice to see! I´ll learn from this..

If needed, I can get you one of my Tamiya canopies (minus windscreen..).

3 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

It´s looking good! I have two Tamiya in the stash - and one WIP (painting stage) - yet still tempted to get one of these for a cheap and quick (lol) build to hone some skills.. ;) So nice to see! I´ll learn from this..

If needed, I can get you one of my Tamiya canopies (minus windscreen..).

Thank you for the kind words, and for the offer.  I do have a spare Tamiya canopy  though, but I do appreciate the thought.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:05 PM, MikeC said:

And there I'm going to have to pause it: just got a commission of a Valiant for a magazine on a short deadline.  Who said 1/72 was small? That thing is huge!

But the Comet will be back asap. Thanks for staying with me so far.

Cockpit work looks great!! I really like the Barracuda seat with the backpack.

Don

• 1 month later...

OK, the Mustang's back on the bench after a small diversion:

I've done a bit in the meantime, and the wings are now on, after a bit of a fight!  All you guys who said the fuselage is a bit too wide when built, you're right.

Pics and more progress when I've got something substantial to show.

• 1 month later...

This one's back on the bench as of yesterday.  After the Valiant (see above), I tinkered a bit with this, but the width of the fuselage started to assume gross proportions, so I shelved it for a bit and picked up a Meng Dr.1.  That's had its own problems, so while I wait for a replacement undercarriage "The Comet" is back on the bench.  And d'you know what?  The insurmountable problem of the extra fuselage width really isn't insurmountable, in fact it's hardly noticeable!  As always, a break brings a problem back into proportion.

I think it's almost ready for some priming now: photos later when I have a bit more time.

3 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Mike , the cockpit cage needs to be flat sanded on both sides (before 'or' after construction).

Unless the fuselage is glued together already  :whistle:

Thanks Mike: too late for this one, but I'll certainly do that on the next.

And here's where it stands at the moment, ready to mask up and shoot a first undercoat.  The grey marks are the remains of where I've painted unthinned Tamiya acrylic into the joints, then sanded it back.  It makes an excellent tell-tale for any faults, and also acts as a filler for very small scratches and other dings.  Wet-sanding it with fine wet-and-dry can get a bit messy, though.

20220103-143126.jpg

Edited by MikeC

So the undercoat showed up several issue, mainly joints that needed a bit more filler, a few extra swipes with a sanding stick, or a bit more tweaking generally.  The worst was the tailplane-fuselage joint, and I ended up having to break the joints apart to improve the fit.  Fortunately they came apart with a bit of force, and a quick prayer to the modelling gods that there wouldn't be a break in the wrong place - there wasn't.  I ended up removing a great proportion of the interlocking location tabs arrangement to get a good fit.

This is all modelling of course, and it's always good to exercise one's skills.  But when you're in the mindframe to start painting, and fired up by seeing some progress, it's frustrating to have to delay it to deal with issues like this,  even though you know it's (hopefully) going to improve the end product.  So bear with me while I manage your expectations - and mine - about whether this will get finished before the GB deadline.

Edited by MikeC
typos!

• 2 weeks later...

[Excuse me, just sweeping the cobwebs away from this thread]

Some progress: I re-did the grey undercoat, then sprayed white where the invasion stripes, nose band and national insignia will go.  Having masked those out with the masks I cut and oodles of Tamiya tape ...

20220119-135451-2.jpg

... I sprayed some X1 gloss black where the silver (wings) and NM will go.

20220120-141624.jpg

Since then I've sprayed and masked the O/D anti-glare panel, and done the lacquered areas of the wings with X11 silver. 

Next job, my patent I-don't-use-metallisers natural metal.

Edited by MikeC