First ever LSP - Tamiya’s Mk VIII Spit - Progress on the cockpit!

On 10/21/2022 at 1:32 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice detailing, Will!

Kev

On 10/21/2022 at 6:37 AM, Scale32 said:

You got that right Kev, looks wonderful 

Cheers Bevan 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:52 AM, MARU5137 said:

Hello Will,

Good to have you back Coronavirus  free and from your USA trip.

:yahoo:

I am also catching up with this build after a long time  and I must say your  detailing is Splendid!

Jolly Good work.

:goodjob:   :wow::bow:

I see nothing wrong with your photographs. 

They look good and I can see the details.

:clap2:

MARU5137 

15 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Very impressive so far.  Looking forward to see how this progresses.

Cheers,

Michael

15 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Welcome back Will .

Thanks for the kind comments guys, it’s good to be back working on this one again! 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, nmayhew said:

impressive scratchbuilding, but I do question how much of that stuff back there you can actually see, even with canopy off and going looking for it?

I question it for your sanity btw, nothing else!

what scale do you normally build if this is your first LSP?

Cheers, you’re right though, I’m sure most of it will never be seen once it’s all sealed up… Oh well!  certainly question my own sanity too sometimes… :mental:

Growing up I just built 72nd scale stuff - your standard airfix planes, jeeps, landing craft etc, all whipped together and finished in less than a day. Since coming back to the hobby as an adult I’ve completed one 48th scale Eduard Bf109 and started a couple of other 48th scale planes but that’s it. Decided I wanted to make something bigger so just jumped in at the deep end with this one! 

I’ve managed to get a bit more paint on the fuselage halves, picking out the cabling and other non-green stuff. Still needs a wash/weathering and the decals but it’s coming along…

HLYjsF.jpg

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

Was the oxygen hose not clipped to the starboard cockpit wall on the Mk. VIII?

It was indeed, I’ve got it painted up as a separate part to add later when I’m putting it all together, as with the landing gear controls and a couple of other bits and bobs like the air tanks and O2. 
Cheers

Will

• 10 months later...

Ladies and Gents,

Hello again! I know it’s been a very long while since I last posted an update on this one but I’m back working on it again and slowly progressing…

The cockpit is nearly done. It’s been glossed and I’ve added all the small Barracuda decals that come with the cockpit sets and a couple of extra Anyz decals, all of which went down very well. 

I then dirtied everything up a bit with an oil wash and it’s just waiting for everything to be completely dry before I spray it all with a coat of matt. Here the starboard side and cockpit floor are all just dry-fitted together to see what it’s going to look like. 

LC7RRp.jpg

zVtp8Z.jpg

I ended up purchasing one of Barracuda’s new 3D-printed spitfire control columns as I wasn’t completely happy with how my original one had come out. I can say that it is well worth the cost and much nicer than the old cast piece or the kit parts with far more detail and all the hoses in place. You also get three in the set, so I’m good for two more spits yet! The only thing I did add was a brake wire down the back of the column made from thin copper wire.
0USE60.jpg

lvLEyq.jpg

Old cast Barracuda part on left, new 3D print on right.

0jMzgM.jpg

Painted up and weathered the armour plates and compressed air bottles. Just need to add paint chips and scratches to the rest of the cockpit too now…

qfOZ1p.jpg

TbDQCU.jpg

Away from the cockpit, I also put together the engine and ancillaries, which was very enjoyable as it’s a beautiful little gem in and of its own. I am planning on detailing the engine too so this is just the beginning. I’ve got a set of Anyz 1/32 spark plugs ready to be fitted and plenty of copper and lead wiring to be getting on with. 
it3XMj.jpg

As you can see below, I forgot to add the magnets when assembling the oil tank below the engine, so had to perform some very indelicate drilling to allow me to put those in after the fact so that my cowlings would still attach to the completed engine. :doh: Luckily, my butchery should be completely hidden once installed properly.

FPuuGp.jpg

Finally I have taken it upon myself to make the wheel bays more accurate as I didn’t like the stubs that the gear legs attach to but which were clearly not present on the real thing. I ground out the cylindrical stubs, rebuilt the bay with plasticard and added the stiffeners and some of the linkages for the landing gear. I made sure to glue the legs to the small hole parts that insert in to the gear bay walls before doing all this and whilst the stubs were still present to make sure they were fitted at the right angle once the surgery is finished. 
98VLTc.jpg

So there you have it! Sorry it’s been a while, but I’m cracking on again  and hope to have another update for you guys soon. 

cheers,

Will

Very nice project this Spit and I'm glad you can continue it.
I was wondering whether to buy the Revell Spit with a Big Ed kit and resin accessories or just the Tamiya Spit kit.
I thought the Tamiya was fantastic with nothing to add, but I see you've added a lot of resin detail to the cockpit.
Or is the reason that the cockpit of this Mk VIII is very different from the cockpit of a Mk IX?

7 hours ago, zaxos345 said:

Really nice!!!

Love Roy's stuff!!! 

John

Thanks John, yes Roy’s stuff really is great and adds a lot of detail to what is already a nice kit!

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:coolio::speak_cool::popcorn:

Cheers Mike!

3 hours ago, Furie said:

Very nice project this Spit and I'm glad you can continue it.
I was wondering whether to buy the Revell Spit with a Big Ed kit and resin accessories or just the Tamiya Spit kit.
I thought the Tamiya was fantastic with nothing to add, but I see you've added a lot of resin detail to the cockpit.
Or is the reason that the cockpit of this Mk VIII is very different from the cockpit of a Mk IX?

Thanks Denis! I would certainly go for the tamiya kit over the revell, budget allowing of course. I have a revell kit at home too and the surface textures and detail of the Tamiya are significantly nicer. Revell also made a few accuracy errors on their Mk IX which tamiya avoided. You also get a beautiful engine with the tamiya kit which you don’t with the revell, if that’s something you want to show off on your model. 

With regards to the cockpit detail I have added you are correct in that most of it is to correct the internal differences between a Mk VIII and Mk IX. Tamiya seem to have made the relevant outward changes to the airframe for this kit but kept the cockpit the same as the previous Mk IX release. If you’re looking to model a Mk IX there’s certainly no need to add anything in the cockpit if your don’t want to as it will be more or less accurate. Don’t get me wrong, there’s always more detail you can add even to the best of kits but that’s just because I’m a masochist and I like adding it even though I know that almost none of it will be visible once the fuselage halves are together! :hmmm:

Long story short, I’d get the tamiya spit if it’s going to be a IX (or an VIII really, there isn’t a better option) as they are miles ahead of the revell in terms of textures, detail, accuracy and build experience.

Thanks for your reply Westland WhirlWill.
Indeed, I want to build a Spit Mk IX.
So it will be the Tamiya kit without needing to add accessories.
And I'm curious to see (and assemble!) a Tamiya kit.
It must be an absolute joy to have parts that fit together perfectly and not have to take out your tube of putty...
So I'm going to put this kit on my Christmas gift list.