Me 262 'White 17' (photos now showing)

IJ001

Kit - Revell

Paint - All Tamiya acrylics.

Decals - Kit & HAD

Extras - Yahu pre-painted IP, Eduard pre-painted harness. Various wiring, junction boxes etc from scratch.

wlx8R4K.jpg

5l65BsY.jpg

DJ2LF7I.jpg

umMHQRf.jpg

hLIoH8f.jpg

cw3ycTz.jpg

c5Q2pBI.jpg

WKpUc9g.jpg

pE5x16Q.jpg

AHMKvc4.jpg

VI2gunf.jpg

Been a couple of years since my last 1:32 build (a Trumpeter 109E), no particular reason just other shiny things grabbed my attention.

Not going in to any detail at all about the history of this particular machine, it's very well documented, as for the build, well it's a 'curates egg' of a kit - good points: well the undercarriage bays and gear detail are superb enough to keep most folks happy, but I added all sorts of wiring and junction boxes up inside which may never be seen but I know they're there. The cockpit is very good and didn't really need the Yahu IP that I added, purely because sausage fingers and middle-aged eyesight mean I can't get that sharpness that I once did by hand-painting. I expected the fit of the engine nacelles to be utterly horrid but I'm pleased to report that on my kit at least they were pretty close to perfect.

KIt decals were put to one side except for all the stencils which worked fine for me. I'm not a fan of RoG Instructions but these were OK with only the one blunder which most builders will have heard about so not going to repeat it here.

Bad points:- It may have been just my kit but I spent a shed-load of time, effort and putty blending the various nose sections together, the fit was very '1980's' if you get what I mean, most of the reviews out there don't mention this, but then most are of the earlier two-seater kit so maybe there's a difference in QC. The underside join between the front of the lower wing and forward fuselage still isn't right to my eye, but I was running out of patience at that point - so I admit to getting it to 'that'll do' as opposed to 'yeah that's spot-on'.

Paint is all Tamiya acrylics mixed using the Mk.I eyeball method, aircraft specific decals are HAD, first time using this company and the quality, opacity and adhesion is simply astonishing. 

So that's it, there's a few 'user errors' in the build including having to scratch-build a new slat as the carpet monster got a hold of one, also I thinned the undercarriage pegs a little too much so it's prone to wobbling on it's legs, but I really like it, and it has a shed-load of presence sitting in my cabinet. Please feel free to ask any questions, make any comments or criticism.

All the best from NZ.

Ian.

(edited - hopefully the photos show now)

Edited by IJ001
Photos in wrong format.

42 minutes ago, Chek said:

That's an incorrect format for this forum, Ian. Your pictures aren't visible.

Add them using the 'insert image from URL' button at the bottom of the frame.

Thanks, think I've got it sorted now.

Ian.

• IJ001 changed the title to Me 262 'White 17' (photos now showing)
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent 262!  The painting, especially the mottling is great!  I built the 2-seater just a while ago and pretty much echo the same comments you made... fit of the nose panels in closed position was disappointing but good detail in the cockpit and wheel wells.

I would like to point out that using the kit-supplied components for the instrument panel will yield a very nice result and does not require any detail painting since decals for the instrument gauges are provided.  I liked the result more than the Eduard alternative but I did not have the Yahu panel to compare...

IMG-0283.jpg

Great looking 262.  I fell in love with it when i toured Silver Hill, Maryland, where the Smithsonian restores their planes. 

i saw them take the markings masks off after they painted it.  The tires looked brand new.  

very nice result.  I have this in the stash, but not in the build cue yet. I need to get my skill level up substantially.  Thanks for sharing.