HK "Nose Art" Lancaster B MkI R5868 QL/Q No. 83 Squadron

Greif8

4 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Ganz ausgezeichnet Ernest!

Exactly. I couldn’t have said it better. Eduard stepped up their game, IMHO, with regards to this instrument panel. Lately it seems that their instrument faces are very generic looking but those look very nice.

The rest of your work looks fantastic as well Ernest. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank You Wolf!  I agree that Eduard has improved their IPs.  I see one this one the instruments come with clear covers that are slightly domed.  They look pretty convincing.

Sincerely,

Ernest 

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

It’s taking shape, both impressively good and fast! I remember fiddling with those 14 throttle levers: a real test of patience, but you pulled it off nicely. You might want to double check the access railing color. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the yellow color was a postwar addition for restored warbirds. I’ve been wrong before however!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom!  Being semi-retired allows me a lot of time at the bench.  Of course it also allows a lot of time for my spouse to come up with "honey-do" lists as well! :lol: I will a look at the railing color and fix it if required.  Thank you for the heads up.

Sincerely,

Ernest 

59 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Ernest, when I saw your IP my chin hit the floor!   Very nice details!

Thank you Gary, though to be fair Eduard did the hard work designing and manufacturing the IP; I just assembled it.

Sincerely,

Ernest

I joined the fuselage this week and spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the joint seam.  The seam at the rear on the inside had to be filled as this can be seen when viewing the cockpit from the rear.  I did that with a combo of evergreen strip cut to size, and then a few tiny pieces of the same stuff melted into place with Tamiya quick setting glue.  It was then hand painted.  All that took a surprising amount of time to do and as it is pretty boring work, I did not take any photos of the progress.  I also "made" the forward escape hatch.  I will explain the process I used in the photos below.  First up though is the buttoned up fuselage.

IMG_3799

Not much to say here, it looks the part I guess.

IMG_3803

The opposite side.

IMG_3804

View from the rear.  It is out of focus, but you can just make out some of the filling I did to the seam.  Also, unsurprisingly the interior is fairly dark.

IMG_3802

The maps turned out well.

IMG_3798

So the escape hatch.  I thought a lot about how to replicate this.  Until fairly late in it's production life, the Lancaster escape hatch was 26.5" long x 22" wide,

67cm x 56cm for us metric types!  That scales out to be 2.09cm x 1.75cm.  Part P13 is where the forward escape hatch was.  You can see in the above photo I traced the hatch in the correct scale dimensions with a pencil and flexible ruler.  I forgot to take a photo of the next step for the exterior, but I lightly scribed the outline.  I'll explain why below.

IMG_3797

And here is the interior of the hatch traced in.  

IMG_3808

I then cut up some wing walkway boundary decals, as well as the rounded corners of some handle outline markings and applied them over the traced area - all this is still drying.  Photos I have seen show "No Step" or "Do Not Step" in red and white lettering at the front denoting where the ummm Opening Handle is.  As you can clearly see in the macro photo I ended up using the German "Do Not Step" as I don't have any red lettering in English.  Fortunately you can't read it at normal viewing distance given its location in the aircraft.  The white lettering is a decal from a Dauntless decal sheet, and of course say's something else then what was actually said.  Again, you won't be able to read the words at normal viewing distance, and you might not even be able to see much after everything is in place.  I plan to replicate the exterior in similar fashion, hence the light scribing to give me reference lines to decal after painting.

IMG_3811

Macro shot of the part test fit in place.  I am sure once the turret is installed much of this work will disappear.

IMG_3812

Macro photo from the front.  It is pretty clear that the turret is going to cover the majority of this up, which is good as there was a bit of silvering in a couple of areas!

Thanks Wolf, I thought the "No Step" in German would be a bit of fun - of course if I had the decal in English I would have used it!  I have installed the front turret and nose Perspex; and as I suspected you can hardly see the escape hatch, so the language turned out to be a total non-issue.

Ernest 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys, its been a few months since I posted anything.  In mid-August I got broadsided by a person who ran a stop sign.  I suffered several broken bones and lots of cuts and gashes, but nothing life threatning fortunately.  I has taken some time to heal up and it has only been the last few days that I have been able to get back to the bench.  The first order of business is to finish this project which is coming down to the final phases. 

The photos are pretty basic but show the base paint job on the exterior, as well as, the support dolly.  It is good to be back!

Ernest

IMG_3901

IMG_3902

IMG_3903

Edited by Greif8

15 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Ernest! I’m so glad you are on the mend, and sorry to learn about what happened to you. 

Your build is proceeding very impressively, and looks to be on the home stretch!  Welcome back.

Sincerely,  Tom

4 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Glad to see you back Ernest.  Nice progress as well.

Thank you guys!  It is good to be back.

Ernest

The build is just about finished; I just need to remove the tape from two windows that I forgot before I took the photos!  :doh:  This was a fun build and my scratch building skills got a work out.  I will post some better photos tomorrow in the "Ready for Inspection" section.

Ernest

IMG_3904

I kept weathering to a minimum, just a couple of chips and some scuffing of the paint here and there.

IMG_3910

Man, that black is a dust magnet; believe it or not I cleaned it about 5 minutes before I took the photo.

IMG_3917

IMG_3907

Frontal shot, showing one of the two windows I forgot to unmask!

IMG_3913

IMG_3914

IMG_3915

IMG_3937

The scratched cabling turned out pretty good.

IMG_3922

The sharp eyed among you may have spotted a black rectangular object in the bomb bay area.  It is a painted 9 volt battery to power a red light.  I thought it might

add something different to the build.

IMG_3922

Oops, same pic!

IMG_3921

IMG_3933

IMG_3928

Hope you liked the photos!