Trumpeter F4U-4 Corsair - FINISHED

denders

Thank you guys! I also pulled out my copy of Osprey "F4U Corsair units of the Korean War" and had a look through the profiles. Some of those do have more color. I probably won't actually start on the for a couple weeks, so I have time to decide which one. I also have a lot of books which I haven't begun to look at too.

Well, that one is a post WWII and Korean War scheme. It's also an AU-1 and not an F4U-4 (kit). It is a different scheme and a nice looking scheme. There is a current warbird that is painted similar to that one and the only one that I've seen pictures of that is painted like that.

I haven't been able to look through the many books that I have yet (long weekend away.) But with the quick look through the Osprey book that I mentioned, I'm now inclined to go with a Korean War aircraft. A bit more color. and I'm pretty sure that just about any aircraft that I pick will fit the theme.

Now to spend some time perusing through the books. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly, yet, but I'm going to lean toward a Korean War aircraft because I've decided on the additional color as opposed to a late WWII aircraft. I've seen aircraft with the top of the fin and the propeller in color. I think I've seen some profiles with the wing tips in color too. I'm also leaning away from that "color" being white. I have a Cameo 4 so I can make most large markings as necessary.

You have a suggestion?

I've always called it my favorite. I bought the Trumpeter -1D and -4 when they first came out. I have at least three of the old Revell kits with addons. And a Tamiya -1. I can't tell you, without counting, how many 1:48 scale kits of all marks that are in the stash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great topic! I've wanted to do a -4 Corsair for a long time. My did served in VMFA-323 in Korea so I'm following this build closely. But I have a question. How do you plan to handle the cowl flaps? The Trumpeter kit has gaps between the flaps that obviously don't exist on the real aircraft. I'm looking forward to see how you fix this as I start my kit. Many thanks.

Chuck