1/32 Invader

Rob Colvin

2 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

So will this work with the kit landing gear or will they have to be lengthened?

Greg

According to his Facebook post, the new fuselage section will include new landing gear legs of the proper length. What is yet to be seen, however, is how much of the internal structure from the bomb bay will be compatible with these new parts. Also, will he correct the curvature of the upper fuselage? That would be all well and good, but it would obviously also necessitate a new canopy. Time will tell.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

With the amount of things that the Invader needs to be correct, you're almost going to end up with a new model. Going to be quite the Ship of Theseus when all is said and done.

Matt 

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

With the amount of things that the Invader needs to be correct, you're almost going to end up with a new model. Going to be quite the Ship of Theseus when all is said and done.

Matt 

So you're saying there's a chance...

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I should add, too, that a new canopy is likely not in the cards. When I inquired to Resin2Detail about creating 1/32 3-pane B-17 waist gun windows a few weeks ago, he lamented how difficult clear resin is, and how he's not currently dabbling in it.

But hey, if we get the wing location corrected, it's a step in the right direction. It's at least a nice color of lipstick on the pig.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

I offered one of these kits on the traders board with engines.  No one wants it.  Well now I know why… I am just going to keep it and build it. 

I'm nuts enough to have already started the wing root conversion, ala Iain on the boards. I'll give this conversion a go, as long as it's ultimately compatible, because I just want an A-26 that bad.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Hi Guys

I have seen what resin2detail is proposing and obviously he is moving a lot quicker than I, well to be honest if I had pushed on it would have been completed by now. I wish him all the best with the project the way he is tackling it, and I never want to speak against another after market retailer or model producer, as each has their own ideas and need to generate sales.

One of the main reasons that I stalled on this project was the huge task and cost it would be. With all the things that need changing and correcting you would be buying the base kit for say at least £100.00 in the U.K. and then from that you may salvage the rear fuselage and tail, and a few other pieces!! Which makes it a very expensive way to get a rear fuselage.
The way that it stacks up in my book is that it would be more cost effective, and a better model would result from starting from scratch with an entirely new resin cast and 3D printed kit, along with brass u/c etc.

I have no idea of cost and or full implementation but would there be any interest in such a plan? 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'd be up for a full kit, but I'd definitely buy some A-26 engine cowlings if you offered them separately. There's a few Reno racers I'd like to build that used them on other airframes. Might be able to recoup some of the costs that way, since I believe you had already done some work on those.

2 hours ago, F2G_lover said:

I don't know if I'd be up for a full kit, but I'd definitely buy some A-26 engine cowlings if you offered them separately. There's a few Reno racers I'd like to build that used them on other airframes. Might be able to recoup some of the costs that way, since I believe you had already done some work on those.

A friend drew the cowlings and I was never quite happy with them. I need to try draw them myself but it is a tricky shape to get correct.

I would like to see more aftermarket decals for the 1/32 A-26 Invader. There are so many interesting schemes for this ac, but only a few available at the moment. Thats a shame...

4 hours ago, RNoAF said:

I would like to see more aftermarket decals for the 1/32 A-26 Invader. There are so many interesting schemes for this ac, but only a few available at the moment. Thats a shame...

There are many great schemes and versions of the type that what makes it even more difficult to make decals for these large scale models. On a typical A5 SIZE decal sheet in 1/72 you can get say 6-8 aircraft, 1/48 4-6 options, 1/32 maybe one or two, obviously these are just quick random numbers. So you can only do a limited number of schemes, so do you do a WWII option, a Vietnam option, a colourful drone option, a French one, or one used by a smaller country or conflict. Because even I would like one of each at least, but once again in the BIG scale it becomes more impractical.

Further to the above over all the versions above you would require even more conversion sets to build the various options, just look at how many box offerings ICM have done in 1/48 scale so far, and I am sure more will follow in due time all being well.
Added to this the market is a LOT smaller than many would admit, secondly it was apparent early on that this particular kit is a disaster, so therefore how many are going to shell out £15-£20.00 for one set of markings for a really bad kit.

I firmly believe if I printed a decal run of say 100 decals for any one particular aircraft I would be lucky to sell 50 in the first year and the rest would just lay on a shelf….ask me I know all about it.

I do not mean any of this in a negative way but to be honest I think in this day and age you can see why not to many companies are putting their hands into their pockets for such projects, remember also that most of the companies are one man shows or very small groups of guys, but usually there is ONE guy that has the money.