1/32 Invader

Rob Colvin

I have seen all the threads...I know it has issues but was wondering...........If i were to correct the wing/ fuselage position, would the main gear need to be adjusted as well?  Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Rob Colvin

not sure I can help on the wings fuselage position as I wasn't aware there was a problem. I'm building the B version now.

I should say from the outset I'm not that fussed about accuracy as long as I enjoy the build and the finished plane looks like what it's meant to be. I know the engines are lacking a few pistons and some of the details are wrong (eg no top periscope, cockpit is later model, wing intakes wrong shape, no exhausts, there are mostly like more) however..... the fit has amazed me, it goes together really well.

I've scratched the cockpit to look a bit more like the B version, haven't touched the engines or the intakes - once in place they look ok in my view. I've scratched the periscope and I'm just about to start on some exhausts.  I've added aftermarket wheels, seat belts and the Look cockpit. Used some old PE from previous builds (a couple of instrument panels left over from a B-17, spitfire, JU88 and an SU30 !!!! to enhance the cockpit and rear compartment. It's a big and impressive looking kit (again in my view) and certainly looks like a A-26. I'm doing mine in the black and white colour scheme of a French aircraft from the Algerian War.  All in all I'm really enjoying building this kit.

38 minutes ago, npb748r said:

the fit has amazed me, it goes together really well.

having written that I just attached the nose which was the last major component to go on and the fit isn't as good with that - I'll need to fill it down as it's a touch too big around the circumference.  The rest is really good though - especially the way the fuselage just slots together with so many bulk heads inside, I wasn't expecting that. 

On 3/27/2021 at 2:36 PM, Rob Colvin said:

I have seen all the threads...I know it has issues but was wondering...........If i were to correct the wing/ fuselage position, would the main gear need to be adjusted as well?  Thoughts anyone?

Yes most definitely, along with other items I have in the pipeline there is some fixes for this coming as well. Alex Mayer has done some amazing work and he has sent me the files for printing, these are done but there is still a lot more finishing work to be done, I am wanting to get this project rolling again as soon as possible.

you will note if you look at the kit undercarriage parts that they shortened them TO FIT....maybe they realised that it would have looked like it was in stilts so to compensate they shortened the u/c length, so when you raise the wing the u/c will need lengthen.

all these changes ‘ corrections needed are making for a very complex and complicated fix, but hope to get there with most if not all of them, TIME IS THE KILLER.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, npb748r said:

not sure I can help on the wings fuselage position as I wasn't aware there was a problem. I'm building the B version now.

I should say from the outset I'm not that fussed about accuracy as long as I enjoy the build and the finished plane looks like what it's meant to be. I know the engines are lacking a few pistons and some of the details are wrong (eg no top periscope, cockpit is later model, wing intakes wrong shape, no exhausts, there are mostly like more) however..... the fit has amazed me, it goes together really well.

I've scratched the cockpit to look a bit more like the B version, haven't touched the engines or the intakes - once in place they look ok in my view. I've scratched the periscope and I'm just about to start on some exhausts.  I've added aftermarket wheels, seat belts and the Look cockpit. Used some old PE from previous builds (a couple of instrument panels left over from a B-17, spitfire, JU88 and an SU30 !!!! to enhance the cockpit and rear compartment. It's a big and impressive looking kit (again in my view) and certainly looks like a A-26. I'm doing mine in the black and white colour scheme of a French aircraft from the Algerian War.  All in all I'm really enjoying building this kit.

hi

some pictures of the WIP ???? it should be interesting .....

Alain

Hi there,

as Ali from Aerocraft Models said, there is the goal to create after market correction sets based on my 3d-model. Here is the current status:

wWOxNkN.png

Here you can see how the positon of the wing is changed in comparison to the HB kit.

O45qAaL.png

The HB kit seems to be flawed in many area. For a really accurate A-26, one would have to create a completly new model, so somewhere a line has to be drawn and some compromise has to be made. This is especially true for the wing root area, since I didn't want to create new wings. Here you can see how I tried to get a somehow acceptable compromise to get the kit's wings fit while having the (hopefully) accurate drawing in mind:

TriZ8ak.png

We'll see when and how this will turn out.

19 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Such issues with A-26 makes me glad they didn't instead make the B-26 Marauder!

Hoping that Revell or ZM will someday consider it...

Maybe I should also continue with my scratch build Marauder project so once finished, some manufacturer can announce a kit :)

Cheers

Alex

11 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi

some pictures of the WIP ???? it should be interesting .....

Alain

I'm not sure my modelling skills are worthy of a public display ! Will take a few pictures once done, showing off my models is not my thing really, I have a room in my loft that only I access and all of my models are built and stored there with nobody other than me seeing them. I guess we all build for different reasons (our differences is what makes the world tick, thankfully), mine is entirely for the building, once complete I hardly every look at what I've made and every decade or so I end up binning most of my built up collection  - I've been modelling since the late 60's with a few years of no activity during the mid-90s. The oldest built kit I now own is about 12 years old. 

I'm not far off finishing, this is a good kit and looks like an A-26. I can't say how accurate it is but built out of the box with a little scratch building and one or two aftermarket additions it's ok. I'd rather have it as is than not at all. If they released a B-26 to the same quality I'd snap their hands off. As I said earlier, we are all different and all have different views on what is acceptable and what's not when it comes to modelling.

16 hours ago, dutik said:

Hopefully ZM, Tamiya or even ICM...  :bow:

Regards

- dutik

p. s. Great job! looking forward for the final result! :yahoo:

Personally, I think ICM have their act together in all (1/32) aspects: choice of subjects, accuracy vs design compromise, styrene quality, price point excellent, decals. I will buy anything 1/32 that slightly interests me just to support them and help make 1/32 a succes for them so they make a ton of money and keep pushing out new ones. Frankly, all their kits so far were great fun to build.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:26 PM, phasephantomphixer said:

Such issues with A-26 makes me glad they didn't instead make the B-26 Marauder!

Hoping that Revell or ZM will someday consider it...

I think if we're going to see a 1/32 B-26 Marauder, HK is going to be the one to bring it to us. And I'm quite alright with that.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

On 3/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, npb748r said:

I'm not sure my modelling skills are worthy of a public display ! Will take a few pictures once done, showing off my models is not my thing really, I have a room in my loft that only I access and all of my models are built and stored there with nobody other than me seeing them. I guess we all build for different reasons (our differences is what makes the world tick, thankfully), mine is entirely for the building, once complete I hardly every look at what I've made and every decade or so I end up binning most of my built up collection  - I've been modelling since the late 60's with a few years of no activity during the mid-90s. The oldest built kit I now own is about 12 years old. 

I'm not far off finishing, this is a good kit and looks like an A-26. I can't say how accurate it is but built out of the box with a little scratch building and one or two aftermarket additions it's ok. I'd rather have it as is than not at all. If they released a B-26 to the same quality I'd snap their hands off. As I said earlier, we are all different and all have different views on what is acceptable and what's not when it comes to modelling.

Sometimes it's completely forgotten that we do this hobby to entertain ourselves.

The errors on any kit are interesting but not vital for most modellers who build construction kits beyond our 'pure' world on here.

How many modellers on here or indeed on other sites actually show their models anywhere?

I'd wager the vast majority of hobbyists sit in their little domains glueing bits together and never give a thought to share their experience.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it seems to me that 95% of modellers are completely 'display shy' fearing rejection or harsh comments on their work.

I've always said, just enjoy your build and totally forget what you read if your not interested in an 'accurate' model because the truth is it will never exist anyway.

That's my humble opinion which some will disagree with, but again it's o.k to disagree, it's what makes this site and the hobby so joyful! 

Just have fun!!  :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...