Albatros W.4 - #911 'Olt.z.S. Viktor Schulz' Windau (Finished)

kkarlsen

On 2/5/2021 at 11:13 PM, Kagemusha said:

thanks for illuminating these dark days

A bit over the top?

CUUqr96.jpg

Converted larger tail and elevator. Small details on the fuselage parts, I'm using the kit parts as much as possible to save some of the details.

The obvious closing of one of the machinegun openings.

Kent

That looks awsome, Kent!

One thing you could add, if this was a 160hp Mercedes engine, is the water pipe between the cilinder, though I'm not sure if it's worthwile. As in, if you can actually still see it once you close up the cowlings. The WNW engine came with that part, if you like or need it I have one left over from my Fokker D.VII.

1 hour ago, jeroen_R90S said:

That looks awesome, Kent!

One thing you could add, if this was a 160hp Mercedes engine, is the water pipe between the cilinder, though I'm not sure if it's worthwile. As in, if you can actually still see it once you close up the cowlings. The WNW engine came with that part, if you like or need it I have one left over from my Fokker D.VII.

Thank you Jeroen, I'm by no means an expert on the German WWI engines, but I think there may be different versions of the D.III engine?

I did use the WNW's D.III engine with the water pipe on the Rumpler 6B.1 build:

qTPRmqP.jpg

The engine in the Roden kit is of a different type with an 'integrated water pipe?

mercdiii_entire1+%25281%2529.jpg know 

I think it may be the D.IIIa engine, but I would be happy if someone could clear up this issue?

Kent

Thanks Mike, I'm not sure which one is the most 'appropriate' engine for an early Albatros W.4 but as long as it is a Mercedes D.III it's good enough for me.

Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

I'm not an expert either, but as far as I've picked up here and there:

160hp (D.III)

-very early D.III engine -> valve actuator boxes centered on the valves, water pump on a different position, water pipe next to the engine, small air pump on the rear of the engine near the decompression lever

-early D.III engine -> very much the same but with the air pump on the front as appears on your engine, as well as the picture of the orginal on page 1

180hp (D.IIIa)

water pipe through the cilinders as on Roden engine, but the boxes next to the valve actuators are next to the valves. Usually big round air pump, water pump different

My D.IIIa I built for my Greim D.VII, next to the D.IIIau I originally built:

2018-02-0415.41.24.jpg

200hp (D.IIIau)

small horizontal air pump (flat, like a boxer engine) and sometimes red stripes on the cilinders.

My D.IIIau I built for my D.VII, before I discovered it seemed to have had the D.IIIa:

2017-11-2616.11.57.jpg

The Roden engine appears to be a mixture of D.IIIa cilinders with D.III valves/boxes. 

On an Albatros with the cowling closes I don't actually think you can see the water pump and pipes anyway.

I haven't gotten to doing a kit with a D.III yet...

Jeroen

The floats had a little preshading before painting, to try and break up the black a bit...

PIeGCT4.jpg

1UK3a5y.jpg

Floats done.

sNXgD0i.jpg

OaKEk1r.jpg

Beginning to fit the interior parts.

Jfyez4s.jpg

cVAwCM7.jpg

Wing are now ready.

Kent

Edited by kkarlsen