Italeri to Release Tornado IDS/ECR; New Parts

Rick Griewski

1 hour ago, Breaker said:

That and the panel lining that was done with a shovel. 

Agree and on the price issue too.

I always associate Italeri's kit pricing (certainly here in the UK) as selling 'Woolworths' products at 'Waitrose' prices. How they are still in business given the industry competition and standards now demanded by modellers is nothing short of remarkable.

Gary

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d imagine the price will be pretty similar to the GR.4 kit.

£130.50 at Jadlam compared to £104 for the GR4 version

Edited by AlanG
wrong version

3 hours ago, AlanG said:

£130.50 at Jadlam compared to £104 for the GR4 version

What it looks like to me is just that Jadlam has a great price on the GR4.  Wonderland Models shows £145 for both the GR4 and ECR, and Hannants also shows £145 for the GR4 (no price yet on the ECR).  There is also a listing on EBay for the ECR from Italy for $140, which is the same from another seller from Italy for the GR4 kit.

Everywhere except Jadlam seems to have both priced about the same, at least so far.

3 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

I always associate Italeri's kit pricing (certainly here in the UK) as selling 'Woolworths' products at 'Waitrose' prices. How they are still in business given the industry competition and standards now demanded by modellers is nothing short of remarkable.

Gary

It’s probably because in a number of cases, there aren’t many other options.  If you want a 1/32 F-104, your only other choices are the old Hasegawa kit, which basically only represents a F-104J in any boxing, or the old Revell kit, which doesn’t even have an open canopy option.  Although the Italeri kit has soft plastic and wide and uneven panel lines, it does have a lot of weapons, more detail than the older kits, comes in single and twin seat boxings, and has a number of correct parts for specific versions, like the F-104 S.

Similar for the Tornado.  The Revell kit isn’t bad, but is missing panel lines on the bottom of the nose and sides of the fuselage, had no intake detail, is missing the second set of blow in doors, and you can only build the wings with everything up.  The Italeri kit, for all the hate, is much more detailed and has a lot more options than the old Revell kit.

You can repeat for the Mirage III kits.

The thing is, no one has to buy their kits, but they do, so they obviously have appeal to enough modelers to stay in business.

4 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

Gary

We're not exactly deluged with Cold War era jets from any other manufacturer, and Woolworths wasn't that bad. Just give it a French or Italian name and stick a Waitrose No.1 or Sainsbury's Taste the Difference label on it and you'll think it's authentic and worth the extra.

-*-*-

How is the Italeri Tornado kit canopy packed? The Mirages had them taped on top of a card box making it potentially vulnerable. Jadlam send kits in polythene mailers and £104 for the GR.4 is attractive, but after receiving a very squashed Airfix Sea King I'm a bit nervous about the bagged mailing method. 

Have the HaHen decals for a 1980s era Marineflieger Tornado, so Kormorants would be nice (but, sadly, I don't think these will be included).

Tony

Tony

I appreciate that Italeri are "the only game in town" for some big subjects but nothing they make appears to justify the prices they charge courtesy of that 'USP' factor alone being their main selling point or draw; it certainly isn't their mould technology or engraving that's for sure.  When you consider they charge the same for their big Tornado as, say, Academy were for their 1/32 F-18 when it was still available and their current F-16 Sufa kits, the content standards in the overall packages are night and day. Both those Academy kits aren't perfect packages I accept, but their tooling and plastic quality / detail is in another league.

The 1/32 Mirage IIICJ I bought when first released was like a 1/48 kit scaled up and after reading the awful build reviews, I immediately offloaded mine and struggled to get 40 quid back for it having paid about double that..which was about what it was actually worth. Likewise, their 104's are like a scaled up 48 kit but I love the subject so I will throw resin and etch at that one.

If others are happy with their products and prices fine, but I know lots of people I speak to at clubs and shows and with whom I correspond think likewise that Italeri refuse to move with the times (other than with their RRPs of course !) and haven't bought any of their kits for years.

Time will tell if they can stay lucky and compete indefinitely in an ever improving and evolving hobby.

Gary

6 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

Gary

My thoughts exaclty.. But I thought I was alone.. Never really liked Italeri - in any scale.. I would buy some, if they were cheaper.. But I think they cost way too much for what you get. Especially these days - with more competition (well.., On some kits)

I've been wanting to do a Luftwaffe IDS bird for some time.  But I read a lot of negative stuff about the Revell kits.  It'll be a bit more expensive here in Australia...  but it's my hobby.  I don't spend my extra money on much else...   Though our 20th is coming up next year and we've booked a cruise.  Now that will be expensive!!

Edited by Gazzas

10 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

aeroscale.net/news - Tornado ECR Incoming

“Tornado ECR  1:32 Scale (2517) - Coming soon 

Here some pictures of artwork, colour profiles and decal sheets. The new scale model kit will be released in the next days”………………………………Italeri

1428-entry-0-1634728069.jpg

1428-entry-2-1634728069.jpg

Juraj

The kit was originally listed as IDS/ECR but this looks like a straight ECR release with no IDS component.  Both aircraft shown (the two Italian aircraft shown are actually MM7053 at different times) are ECRs.  Also, the ECR armament of HARMs (and a Cerberus pod for the Luftwaffe aircraft) are already on the existing sprues, so I don’t see them adding any new weapons.  Be nice is they add IRIS-T missiles for the German bird, but I’m not holding my breath.

Edited by Dave Williams