Swiss F/A-18C J-5011 2012 FINISHED

Dukie99

I will join this GB with another Academy F/A-18C. The F/A-18+ I built for the Training Day GB was a very enjoyable experience, so I thought I would build another one. I have decals for Swiss Air Force J-5011 in a 2014 Tigermeet marking. I have a fair amount of aftermarket for this one as well: Aires cockpit, Res-kit exhausts, 4dable model chaff/flare launchers, rhino seamless intakes and g-factor brass legs. I will load this bird with two sidewinders and two Amraams from Zactomodels which are their way. I have another F/A-18D in the stash and I may tackle it for the upcoming Navy GB, we'll see.

Box shot and AM

i-8cT3WP6-L.jpg

i-sxrz3Kt-L.jpg

I have cut and prepped the resin and gave it a thorough cleaning

i-wGTM8m4-L.jpg

i-Fbszrp4-L.jpg

i-6M7qV7H-L.jpg

More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

More progress. Finishing the cockpit before closing the forward portion of the fuselage. As far as Aires resin cockpit goes, this one fits very well within the two sides. the only difficulty is to match the step on top of the front landing gear, so careful cutting and sanding is required but once this is done the fit is snug and everything align. This is where it stands, I was bit heavy on the drybrushing but in the naked eye it does look better than on the close-up pictures. The lifted pain at the bottom of the tub will be covered by the bangseat.

i-66Rkq7X-L.jpg

i-Jfrfz9D-L.jpg

More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

• 4 weeks later...

How time flies, a month has passed since the last update. I have been working steadily on this kit but I have to admit I prefer spending time building than documenting every step, many much more talented modellers here who do that wonderfully. Anyway, this is a great kit and a pleasure to build. I have used the Reskit exhaust and the quality is top notch even though the instructions could be a bit clearer. I have also used the Reskit resin wheel and the quality is excellent and well worth the cost.

G-factor leg just prepped. You need a good metal saw and good diamond files to clean the casting seams, but once this is done, they look great and fit really well in respective fuselage slots. Glueing detail pieces to the metal is a bit tricky with superglue but it works. 

i-2LhQfwM-L.jpg

With added detail kit parts

i-5DrFnhQ-L.jpg

and painted with a gloss coat, waiting for decals and a wash

i-jZvbs7t-L.jpg

Reskit cans, also waiting for a wash

i-gswB5Wr-L.jpg

i-TMKVT87-L.jpg

Zactoman's Aim-9 and Aim-120

i-3cMgF8j-L.jpg

Painted and in the process of being decaled. The quality of the casting and the details are just phenomenal.

i-hFgsTS9-L.jpg

More update soon.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

Maru and Gazzas thank you for leaving a comment. A quick update but an exciting one for me. The centerpiece of this build and its make or break moment is the tailart: two different photo-realistic tigers on the outside face of the tails and a detail close-up of a tiger eye in the inside face of the tails. Decals are from Syhart and they are are huge, covering the entire tail, with thankfully a separate decal for the moving part. Given the shape of the tails and the number of details molded there, I was very concerned about the decals conforming well to the plastic. As soon as I finished the general painting and gloss coat on the bird, I decided to apply these decals first. Although it was a nerve racking process over several nights, the Syhart decals (printed by Cartograf) reacted beautifully to micro Sol and gentle persuasion (and a lot of patience) and I am very pleased with the result. It is not perfect but in real life it looks amazing. See for yourself (the moving part of the tail is just dry fitted and will be glued with PVA later on). Only one of the tails, the other tail is also done, but the moving part would not remain in place when dry fitted, so no picture yet)

i-gGsFk3B-XL.jpg

i-fWxrTVf-L.jpg

More update soon.

Cheers,

David

I call this one done. Very happy with how it turned out. I have one more F/A-18 in the stash (a D) but will wait a bit before tackling it. I will go for the MH-60S Knighthawk for the Navy GB. Here are the RFI pictures, sorry for the quality of the pictures, I am not much of a photographer.

i-g4wLZpk-L.jpg

i-mWNjnMf-L.jpg

i-WKSvfR7-L.jpg

i-4SbVDbW-L.jpg

i-HWdwBCG-L.jpg

i-vvB3FdX-L.jpg

i-psmXrh2-L.jpg

i-SQCZkp9-L.jpg

i-PPG8xbf-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

• Dukie99 changed the title to Swiss F/A-18C J-5011 2012 FINISHED