TA-7C / EA-7L "Twosair" - Trumpeter conversion

Starfighter

1 hour ago, Starfighter said:

Rainer, automotive putty is a difficult medium for scribing indeed; I usually apply several coats of Tamiya Primer and try to scribe the primer only. To avoid damage in case I scribe too deep, I use a PE saw in these areas instead of a classic scribing tool. Rivets and fasteners are more of a problem. I usually do them with a pin vise, but that does not work at all on a brittle base such as automotive putty. The only choice in this case is doing the fasteners with a 0,3mm drill bit. 

A, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much, Ben.

Cheers

Rainer

A week has passed and most of the progress I have made is more or less invisible, but I have put quite a few hours of work into the TA-7. Flawless surface quality and surface detail being as neat as possible is very important for me, and to obtain this, quite a bit of filling, sanding and priming along with more sanding and scribing was necessary. The groove lines and fastener details are slowly taking shape. I have now marked the locations of the boarding steps the openings for which will be cut next. 

In order to avoid damage to the surrounding surface, I have protected them with masking tape. 

img_2858drjzl.jpg

I will also fit the panel with the cooling louvers behind the radome. The panel was removed from the Trumpeter nose and the louvers were slightly reworked with a #11 blade. Image quality is less than perfect, sorry for that... 

img_2862s8j9x.jpg

The recess for the boarding ladder from the Trumpeter kit will be used as well. 

img_2863avkol.jpg

The gun fairing needs quite a bit of modification in order to obtain a more realistic shape - whis is just the beginning. The muzzle was filled with 2k putty and will be sanded into shape once hardened. Pics seem to be fetting even worse... 

img_286129j0e.jpg

The refueling probe fairing was removed from the Trumpeter fuselage as well and its future position was marked on the new fuselage. Scribing on the starboard side has just started. 

img_2857l9k0l.jpg

img_2858drjzl.jpg

The fit of the fuselage airbrake was pretty bad. It required careful assembly, putty and some rescribing in order to obtain an acceptable result. The main landing gear wells required the airbrake to be lengthened towards rear; this should be pretty much invisible once primed. 

img_2860a4kax.jpg

I hope not to create a huge mess when cutting the boarding steps... more on that as soon as possible! 

Edited by Starfighter

So, footsteps and replacement panels!

A bit of drilling and filing...

img_02290vkvd.jpg

... and we have some footstep recesses. Having filled the gaps between the outer skin and the intake with 2K modelling putty increased the overall strength of the model, it made making the cutouts a bit more difficult. 

img_0230k5kcd.jpg

Next was the cutout necessary for the panel with the louvers behind the radome:

img_023113jfb.jpg

It fits!

img_0232lbjx5.jpg

The footstep recesses were framed with 0,25mm sheet and voilà, here we go. The plan to use the ladder compartment did not work as the Trumpeter part is too deep for my corrected intake, so I had to rebuild it using plastic sheet. 

img_2864e7k94.jpg

I also fitted the new hump to the wing center section after making an appropriate cutout in the kit part.

img_28657mjq7.jpg

And another overall view. I'll have to apply another coat of primer to get an idea of the surface quality before I can go ahead with the surface detail. 

img_2867wrkhc.jpg