Delta Dart

Dandiego

On 1/18/2021 at 11:49 AM, Panzerwomble said:

You might be interested  - I watched a series of interviews with a retired F-106 driver about his experiences in Vietnam on youtube , there are a couple , absolutely fascinating . He smoked F4's for breakfast ! 

Linky Interview Bruce Gordon

Just to be clear, I can’t find any evidence that F-106s were sent to Vietnam or flew combat missions there.  Anybody have evidence to the contrary?

All the books I have read, suggested that the F-106 was not sent to Viet Nam. This includes:  “Worlds Fastest Single-engine Jet Aircraft: the story of Convair’s F-106 Delta Dart Interceptor” by Col, Doug Barbier USAF (Ret.) 2017. 

Some progress.

Here is my 3d printed cockpit shell and a pilot/seat combo meant for an F-105. The cockpit is rather tight and you can only see the top of the seat. I will change a few details of the seat to better represent an F-106.

iIdsRXr.jpg

Here are some fuselage formers. The challenge is that each fuselage side is slightly different so that each side needs to done from scratch.

ZaXkHeZ.jpg

3d printed forward wheel well. Printing this part leads to strength, it is all one part, and squareness. I have added a hollow tube so that I can slide in the landing gear.

1TnLrop.jpg

Rear fuselage with tail, primed grey to protect my eyesight and my sanity. Which is seriously in question.

0yRoOyU.jpg

Forward fuselage. The plastic shell is quite thin and will need serious re-enforcing as everything comes together.

mqF624k.jpg

Fuel tanks puttied and sanded, ready for paint.

ixwmFPo.jpg

Thats it. Dan

Edited by Dandiego

38 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great! Looking forward to the airframe taking shape.

Me too Brian, and that is a long way off. Why ? Well......

I need to make and fit many components into a flimsy fuselage and come out the other end with a detailed sturdy  structure. First I have been working on the internal components in the forward fuselage. Nose gear well isn't that bad but I have to design,build and detail the cockpit before I can close up the fuselage.

Concurrently I will need to reproduce the engine/exhaust/tail supports as well. Then the most difficult, detailing the main gear wells and designing something to support the wings. I have a few ideas but it will be very exacting in order to have a strong structure that keeps the wings level.

And we even haven't discussed the weapons bay yet. Any one of these wouldn't be that hard but everything must come together perfectly before the fuselage can be closed up.

I anticipate lots of epoxy,  lots of bondo, lots of head scratching.

Dan

Well some progress on basic airframe construction today. Sometimes after pondering for a few days I just decide to cut plastic. Today was one of those days.

One of the biggest hurdles was how am I going to attach the wings? They need to be level and well attached.

I decided to use wooden paint stirring sticks from the hardware store. They are straight, rigid and lightweight. I determined where the wing should sit, red dashed line, and then cut some openings that would accept the sticks. Everything is just dry fitted for now but you can get a sense of what the final shape will be.

7i9Q4iU.jpg

f6Oita3.jpg

I really need to finish my other projects so I have room to work on this beastie on my desk.

Dan