Anyone heard anything about Squadron's website?

LSP_Ray

Reading on other sites I hear anyone who made a CC payment to squadron have been having the transaction just disappear from their transactions. Which is odd but is the same as a refund.

Squadron was my regular source of plastic until they changed their business practice and started selling at inflated prices.

Wow. They have been there since I was a teen. I finally got to go to an Eaglequest, and the warehouse sale a couple of years ago; had a lot of fun. Great work on the show tables as well.

Sorry to see them go, esp. as the coof seems to have re-energized this hobby.

For so many years you couldn't get Squadron to stop sending multiple copies of their catalog, then they tried to get you to subscribe and pay for it. The days of reading the paper catalog seem to have passed them by.

The same thing has happened to many other smaller hobby shops. Even in these crazy times, it makes sense to see if you can buy something locally to keep a place open to buy paint, glue and supplies.

Even the local restaurants are trying to survive with takeout. We just got some great crab sandwiches as they just opened up the season again.... and it was order online and pick up at the restaurant.

Those with good service may just survive. Hope and pray this crazy situation gets better soon.

Tnarg

To me this is a very sad situation for our US friends. Close to all US model companies disappeared, then many garage ones and many distributors and resellers.

Twenty years ago, I typically went to US shops for at least 25% of my purchases in spite of the possible customs fees. The price was ok, the range very large and the service globally ok with a good competition between them: GMW, Roll Models, VLS, Squadron, Victory, etc. They had a lot of products from small producers we could not find easily in the old World.

This changed drastically and the era of European garage industry businessmen moving to the US is a thing of the past. Most of the large US webshops disappeared.

It looks we Europeans stay the lucky guys in spite of the higher level of taxes we have to pay. The amount of very active producers and good resellers has never been so high. Except for most plastic kits, close to everything is now produced in our internal market. I was even puzzled when I saw that some Chinese kits were now far cheaper in Europe than in the US (Hobby Boss bombers). It looks we now have our Golden age.

I'm wondering if the era of cheap price of overseas goodies and the lack of actual import taxes did not have a nasty impact for the US model ecosystem? Too bad.

I wonder what this means for black box/ avionics. Arent they they owners of that? 

On the topic of them closing, i never ordered from them either their sales had nothing in stock until the day after the sale ended where it fealt they found a new full warehouse, or when they did their shipping to canada was by far the most expensive ive ever seen, like i was going to get a blakbox f-18d cockipit it was 45$usd of shipping... 

A sad situation but a sign of the times. For me, their shipping policy with correspondingly high costs meant that I had not used them for years. I was able to get items quicker and much cheaper from Hannants. So, in my opinion poor business decisions placed them in this situation.

Mark Proulx

Yeah really sad indeed since all modelers in the US have great memories of squadron as a kid.  I guess hopefully someone will buy their detail molds such as True details, Avionics etc.  and Squadron Signal did  some very good walk around series for sure.  We are down to one actual model shop and one HobbyTown now in my town of Louisville.   Newer Kit prices are so high and shipping is ridiculous soon guess something has to give. 

5 hours ago, Mark P said:

A sad situation but a sign of the times. For me, their shipping policy with correspondingly high costs meant that I had not used them for years. I was able to get items quicker and much cheaper from Hannants. So, in my opinion poor business decisions placed them in this situation.

Mark Proulx

Same here. A blind refusal to use cheaper shipping options (first class, parcel post), meant stupid high prices on shipping small items. Combined with an all too frequent lack of stock, I just slowly drifted away from them, heading more and more toward Sprue, Kitlinx and others. Now Squadron doesn't really enter into my thinking while referencing best prices for stuff, being little more than a distant memory. My recent discovery of Scale Hobbyist (thanks to a member here), adds even another option. Lots of Models is yet another source (at least at times), but he doesn't really stock kits, as such.

5 hours ago, oyoy5 said:

Yeah really sad indeed since all modelers in the US have great memories of squadron as a kid.  I guess hopefully someone will buy their detail molds such as True details, Avionics etc.  and Squadron Signal did  some very good walk around series for sure.  We are down to one actual model shop and one HobbyTown now in my town of Louisville.   Newer Kit prices are so high and shipping is ridiculous soon guess something has to give. 

The Encore stuff, while not necessarily great, were sometimes pretty cool too.

11 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

GMW, Roll Models, VLS, Squadron, Victory, etc. They had a lot of products from small producers we could not find easily in the old World.

There was quite a period of time when VLS, located just a few miles north of my house, sold anything you wanted at the front desk. They subsequently went to mail order only, then eventually moved somewhere west of here, and continued business for some years. As far as I am aware, they too folded up shop eventually, and are now no more. Some of the Verlindan garbage still gets sold frequently, usually on feepay by independent sellers, as does some of the Letterman stuff, books and whatnot.