1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

16 hours ago, Elftone said:

So you're now planning an even larger subject as a result?

Hiya John, welcome aboard!

Nothing planned - yet.

And possibly larger? I don't know...

The important thing for me is that I now know something like this *can* be done - and that I have the kit to do it.

Where that leads? Who knows - but it's all good fun and has opened up a whole vista of new possibilities...  :)

Iain

3 hours ago, Iain said:

Hiya John, welcome aboard!

Nothing planned - yet.

And possibly larger? I don't know...

The important thing for me is that I now know something like this *can* be done - and that I have the kit to do it.

Where that leads? Who knows - but it's all good fun and has opened up a whole vista of new possibilities...  :)

Iain

Hiya!

It will be fascinating following this journey - it's certainly inspiration, and I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

On 3/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, Iain said:

Well, I promised some airframe photos - so some 'quick and dirty' images on my mobile phone.

Yup, we appear to have a 1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon - or, at least, the start of one!

That's a 61cm/24" steel rule next to it - and tiles are 30cm square...

48b427_bbb380adb1a844b193f52683205fa37e~

48b427_dc652bf13aa54df9bb31bcd282fc81c8~

48b427_608303d4a10a415882847ba3d6e02e89~

More when there's more - but for now at least, a major milestone arrived at!

Blue skies...

Iain

Donnerwetter!

3 hours ago, Elftone said:

Hiya!

It will be fascinating following this journey - it's certainly inspiration, and I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Get involved, but be warned! Most who get engaged at this level go through a period of mixed euphoria and vertigo, when they realise they can now do ANYTHING THEY WANT!!! 

One of the wing sections (front Port) having it's mating surface with the rear section dressed off a la vacform, using 100 grit wet and dry.

When was the last time you saw such a coarse grade of paper used in modelling?  :rolleyes:

48b427_1d7b6217fbd443928d1dd6fcaa811d57~

Stainless steel rods to help reinforce the wing have arrived.

These are 2.5mm diameter x 600mm long - the largest diameter I figured I could get away with near the tip:

48b427_aca5b1c5c1924aacbc3712b5eb78ddf7~

If I get time later, I'll cut the rebates in the wing sections to hold these - and may make a start on marking out the 2mm thick styrene 'wing spars'.

Iain

11 minutes ago, Iain said:

When was the last time you saw such a coarse grade of paper used in modelling?  :rolleyes:

Honestly, I like nothing more than breaking out power tools to get after things. One of my favorite tools is a ******* file. The thing is easily 16” long and can remove material lickety-split. I like to call it the BAF (Big A.. File). I also talk to my builds and warn them to behave, lest I go get it and make them cooperate! That’s just me though :lol:

On 3/13/2022 at 2:05 AM, Iain said:

Stainless steel rods to help reinforce the wing have arrived.

These are 2.5mm diameter x 600mm long - the largest diameter I figured I could get away with near the tip:

48b427_aca5b1c5c1924aacbc3712b5eb78ddf7~

Nice work, Iain. 

Regarding the spars, have you given any thought to using progressively greater diameter rods as you move inboard, but nested, similar in manner to an old school radio aerial? Hope I described that clearly enough. 

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes, I did - but really not needed IMHO as the internal structure of each wing section is more dense as you go from tip to root - in addition to the increased wing depth.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

A small update - on a large 'thing'...

The front section of the port wing has had the slot cut and filed along the rear mating edge - using the circular cutter in a motor tool and a number of files.

The slot runs from the root to within about 15mm from the tip.

48b427_5aaba22e520f438c984d6d2d6de8947d~

Shortened 2.5mm diameter stainless steel rod placed in situ.

There will be a few mm clearance at either end of the slot to allow for any differential expansion of the steel and plastic.

48b427_89c808cae82848118101ecc3ebb3452c~

Doesn't look much - but, given the sizes involved, it's taken a little work - and another step forward!  :)

Iain

Should be pretty straightforward Jens - but bear in mind I scribe into several layers of automotive primer...

This *is* a test piece - so I'm developing ideas/methods as I go - that's part of the fun - and also part of the reason for doing it in the first place.

Once wings are prepped I'll do some detail scribing and report back, but let me get beyond the 'power tools' phase first! ;)

The overlapping skins on the fuselage will be done with masking tape and filler primer airbrushed along the edge - to provide a subtle raised step.

Iain

23 hours ago, jenshb said:

I was just thinking of this build this morning; how does the material take to scribing panel lines?  Both along and across the 3D printing direction?

Beautifully. Remember, this is HIPS, same plastic all injection moulded kits are made from. Another reason why HIPS is far better for this sort of project than PLA, etc..... You do need to have your extrusion settings working well though.

Edited by wunwinglow
extra line

As Tim says - printing using HIPS is sooooo much better than using PLA!

Happy to share current print settings if anyone with an FDM printer wants to try HIPS.

It just works - on so may levels...  :)

In the mean time - have added the slot for stainless steel reinforcement to the front starboard section as well now - and bonded 2mm thick sheet styrene 'spars' to both port and starboard sections using Revell Contacta glue, leaving the now closed channel open at the root end to insert the stainless rods later.

Now drying - but will get some photos when I get a chance..

Iain