1/32 F-5E/F exhausts coming soon - FINALLY!

seiran01

ResKit posted a photo on their Facebook page this morning of 1/48 scale F-5E / RF-5E burner cans in the works for the 1/48 AFV kit. Of course this looks stunning ("so-so" is not in their vocabulary) and I asked them if they had plans to do a 1/32 version.  They have confirmed that indeed they are also developing full 1/32 scale exhausts for the plane.  That's one product that's been sorely lacking for not just Kitty Hawk's kits but the older Revell and Hasegawa kits as well. WOOHOO!

Here's the 1/48 version they're working on and scaling up

E7dpMr8.jpg

Oooooo.... I hope these are done in the months prior to the Nats in Las Vegas (if they’re still on next August).  I’m planning on at least one entry.... the Hasegawa F-5E marked as a Nellis Aggressor.  My wife volunteered to tote another one for me on the airplane.  I might have two.  What that second one will be I haven’t decided.

6 hours ago, f5guy said:

This is good news for sure! No if we could only get someone to do much needed resin cockpit sets for the E & F. Then I might actually build one of the 15 KH kits in my stash! Fred K.

I’m part way through a build of one, and much to my surprise I’m really enjoying it. Perfect wing fit/alignment to fuselage with no effort, only minor sanding to pose the gun panels closed. I’ll close the canopy on mine and chuck in the eduard zoom, and call it a day on the cockpit I think 

On 10/3/2020 at 6:23 AM, thierry laurent said:

FYI, the blackbox/avionix cockpit is very nice and can be used quite easily. 

Yes it can. I do believe that Chuck here on LSP did a very nice build using one. The problem is as Mike S. mentioned above.... finding one. IF they show up on ebay you can plan on spending better than $50 for one for starters. It kills me that I used to have about 15 of them that I picked up from Squadron when they were clearing them out for $15 each some years ago. I unloaded all of them when the KH kit was announced. Who'd have thought that 1) KH would botch the cockpit so badly, and 2) the kit would be completely ignored by the resin manufacturers. If it had Swastika's or red meatballs on the wings, or were a teen fighter, we'd have hundreds of aftermarket options, but the F-5 just doesn't get much love :BANGHEAD2:  Fred K.

If anybody is interested, the Eduard PE mesh does a pretty good job of creating a decent looking exhaust area without a lot of fuss.  I have some pics of it and my application of the Black Box/Avionix resin cockpit here:

1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Build

pny4Th.jpg

LLFgTy.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck