Revell/Fisher Hawker Hunter T7

mozart

Just now, Derek B said:

Hi Max,

Nice work on your T-Bird!

Great masks - something I must learn to do one day for my models (I have all of the gear, but no idea! lol :D ). What film do you use for your canopy masks - it looks different to the normal Oramask 810 type vinyl mask film?

Cheers

Derek

No it’s just Oramask 810 Derek. As I’ve mentioned before, if you have any questions about designing, cutting, applying masks etc I’m only too happy to help out. 

5 minutes ago, mozart said:

No it’s just Oramask 810 Derek. As I’ve mentioned before, if you have any questions about designing, cutting, applying masks etc I’m only too happy to help out. 

:thumbsup:

Derek

Some intricate work on the front canopy section, assembling and fitting windscreen wipers!  The arms had to be drilled out first because the holes were too small to accept the spigot on the blades:

w3vLc7.jpg

Holding my breath I managed to get them in place:

B09wms.jpg

and gradually it's coming together:

bMeO4p.jpg

LqUy75.jpg

Not shown at the moment are the fitted gyro gunsights, I have yet to cut and fit clear lenses for these.  I have now to start my most hated aspect of modelling, fitting decals!  To ease myself in I'm starting with the drop tanks.

20 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

The decal stage is one of my favourite parts... For me it's when the model starts coming alive and gets it's identity!

I can understand that completely, but I have a great fear of the dreaded silvering which totally spoils even the best model, so for me it’s painted insignia whenever possible. 

11 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Very nice work on those windscreen wipers Max!

Are you a retired surgeon?!

Cheers Rich…..and no, I’m far too squeamish for that! Just blessed with a steady hand, patience and determination! :P

Superb workmanship, Max. I remember having started an Echelon two-seater Hunter just right after it was released. It was messy and distorted, nowhere as clean and crisp as your conversion. And those windshield wipers… :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, quang said:

Superb workmanship, Max. I remember having started an Echelon two-seater Hunter just right after it was released. It was messy and distorted, nowhere as clean and crisp as your conversion. And those windshield wipers… :rolleyes:

Thanks Q, it’s been a while but worth it in the end I hope, and another slightly unusual one for the 56 Squadron stable. And a have to remember and mention that I owe all of this to my late and much missed friend Lothar Wolf who so generously gave me the Revell kit and Fisher conversion. I hope he’s looking down with approval. 

Edited by mozart

The T7 has always been a favourite of mine. I remember having converted the IP into a plane used to train Buccaneer pilots during the Desert Storm campaign: regular Hunter IP on the instructor’s side and Buccaneer IP on the student’s. Most unusual panel done with a reprographic camera (I worked in graphic industries then) as crisp as today’s Artscale instrument decals.

Gluing these tiny wipers on the clear windshield must have been a bit stressful! Glad it turned out fine!

Did you ever find the 2 control sticks that went missing quite a while back?

Have fun with the decals, not my favorite part either, but so satisfying when it’s over!

Alain

8 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Gluing these tiny wipers on the clear windshield must have been a bit stressful! Glad it turned out fine!

Did you ever find the 2 control sticks that went missing quite a while back?

Have fun with the decals, not my favorite part either, but so satisfying when it’s over!

Alain

I did Alain, I had put them in a small plastic bag which had then fallen onto the floor at the back of the unit where I store all my modelling stuff! What a relief because the Revell ones are incredibly crude by comparison.