32nd Cheetah E (ScaleWorx resin conversion set)

Mistral

Thanks Sinuhe. The Cheetah Es came out with blue castles and gold bokkies. These were toned down variably it would seem. I have photos of the E with castles ranging from a dull blue to almost imperceptible. I sprayed a base coat filter over mine to tone them down a bit, but not too much.

Onto her undercarriage. After the weathering I treated the model to a coat of Tamiya TS-80 matt clear decanted from the rattle can, slightly thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner and then airbrushed on. The result is a noticeably lighter grey with a slight satin sheen. I'm happy as it is :

50356898842_612ba8d1e2_c.jpg

50356898767_c509cb81d2_c.jpg

Undercarriage took a whole hour to get in place :

50356737666_0591c5d943_c.jpg

And with wing tanks on :

50356898712_ce03fa2162_c.jpg

The artificial light is messing with the photos. The closest colour in reality is what you see on the right wing in the image above. A nice faded grey. Now to tackle the windshield ....

very nice job ! I like !!!!!!!!!!!! will look impressive with all the loads .......... do you have a FS paint ref that can match with your own paint 

I cross fingers you won't have troubles with the windscreen , gluing it at this stage could be tricky , some joins could need putty 

Alain

On 9/16/2020 at 3:52 AM, SinuheH said:

Nice work, Malcolm - odd to see those high vis castles on an otherwise muted airframe - look forward to seeing more.

:clap2:

Hi SinuheH, yes it is indeed odd as they were usually pretty strongly toned down however Mistral is correct that there was the odd anomaly see below 

Ok I am having no luck posting the pics, hopefully the links will do

The more usual low viz Castles

da2tj0h-90b617ca-dbdc-48e5-b478-48dd96b7

Hi Viz Castles

828-1910.jpg

Edited by gregair

Thanks Greg - a picture indeed says a thousand words!

I would have expected them to follow the same scheme as on the Mirage F1CZ in its air superiority scheme - or perhaps its just that I have such fond memories of visiting 3 Sqn SAAF after the Lanseria air show at that time.

22 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Malcom

The Cheetah is coming along nicely.  

You can try adjust the brightness and contrast before posting if you want a better representation of the color.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick. I photo edit all my piccies. The problem is the variable intensity lighting from one side of the model to the next. I'll take decent photos of the finished model when complete. I also adjust colour input to vary the hue. 

Thanks Kagemusha and Alain :)

Alain, there is no FS reference. I understand that the SAAF used BS mixes or locally produced colour mixes. I used 3 parts Tamiya XF-66 grey and 2 parts Humbrol H125 grey. It seems to be the closest match to the images which I think looked correct. It's a minefield though as the quality of the various images I have is incredibly variable, showing Cheetah E colours from dark grey to a light blue grey to a light plain grey. Look at the first image Gregair posted above. You can see in the image that the colour ranges from a blue grey on the rear of the aircraft to a lighter grey with a yellow hue towards the front of the aircraft. This is more likely a photo print problem. The blue grey on the left looks best to me. Similar to the debate about the toning down of the blue castles - again, the various images show these to have been variable from one photo to the next of various Cheetah Es. Another factor is the amount of exposure the individual aircraft had to the sun and the paint's chemical composition propensity to fade under harsh UV conditions. In addition, who knows what was done at squadron level. Daan Conradie advised that those Cheetah E which had the fin tips painted white, later had these over sprayed with an opaque grey layer. This may have coincided with similar treatment to the markings. So, bottom line, nothing is 100% sure.

5 hours ago, SinuheH said:

Thanks Greg - a picture indeed says a thousand words!

I would have expected them to follow the same scheme as on the Mirage F1CZ in its air superiority scheme - or perhaps its just that I have such fond memories of visiting 3 Sqn SAAF after the Lanseria air show at that time.

Greg, thanks for your comments :) A picture does speak a thousand words. Just imagine the variation when you have 50 pictures all with different photo quality ...:rolleyes:

Sinuhe, the F1CZ had a three tone colour scheme. The Cheetah C and later Cheetah D colours were two tone but much greyer in hue than the Mirage F1CZ blue-greys.

Anyway, all will be revealed when I take photos of it in natural outside light....

Here comes trouble....

50363720618_4957fbfceb_c.jpg

The canopy sections are around 5mm too wide at the base. Luckily a bit of treatment with a hairdryer sorts that out...

I added some plastic card detail to the canopy. Tamiya tape used to mask. The canopy breaker is the little white part - it goes on the port side of the canopy.

50364417506_723a819734_c.jpg

Here's a lovely little piece of art :

50363720563_dfcc244143_c.jpg

In place, unpainted :

50363720428_de6912ac11_c.jpg

V3Bs and launchers. Need to still paint the IR seeker heads :

50363720398_effb307284_c.jpg

Looking like it means business....

50364417261_f16b02ac2c_c.jpg

Another one finished. Final bits added included the emergency canopy release handles - made from thin wire and painted red, with small pieces of clear plastic for the windows - single pitot probe ahead of windshield, drag chute cone and another blade antenna on the spine. The refuelling probe is loose fitted with a brass rod for strength. Canopy also left loose. Nav lights also painted green/red. I'm very happy with how it looks - she wears that grey suit well :

50379211628_c2552b1a1c_c.jpg

50379211613_646fee6ee6_c.jpg

I really like those intake pylons and bombs :rolleyes:

50379907666_18bb39ee5b_c.jpg

Photos of exhausts show them to be rather silver and shiny :

50379907631_e4ef6c277f_c.jpg