RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

14 hours ago, jimbo59 said:

Amazing work!

Thank's very much!

6 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

You're building "one of a kind" here, Anthony. Attention to shapes and details is so impressive. A true master at work. Bravo!

Cheers,

Damian

Awww man, thanks buddy!  great still having you along my friend!

5 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Sublime Anthony!

:wow:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf, real encouragement from one of our LSP legends is humbling!  

4 hours ago, Fritz said:

This is looking fantastic!

Hey buddy, nice having another Kiwi watching this!  Thanks for looking in.  Where about in NZ are you?

3 hours ago, IainM said:

Loving that work!!!:clap2:

Thanks Iain.....got your paint booth ready to do my cockpit? LOL

Cheers guys, as much as I am doing this for me and my enjoyment.  For the first time in a build I also feel like I am doing it for you guys too, I dont know why?  Maybe it's because we have all waited too long for a kit of this lovely beast?

Anthony

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

For the first time in a build I also feel like I am doing it for you guys too, I dont know why?

It's a two-way thing Anthony...you supply the passion and enthusiasm, we supply the encouragement; the end result is is a total enjoyment package for all of us! (keep the end goal in sight).

Cheers

Derek

With my topcoat of Mr Surfacer 1200 on (hopefully) before wash and then one day painting.  I have been fine tuning the fuse as I make my way back down the left side.

Here you can see I 'tweaked' the rear canopy fairing to match photos of RAF ones I have (not sure if they differ to J-79 ones) but I sanded the access panel 'ring' flat and rescribed it and added fasteners.  I also rivetted a few areas and defined the fairing shape a bit better as the shape was a bit 'soft' from where I attached the kit  and conversion fuselage parts together.  I also replaced the big holes and 'divots' that were representing the fasteners around the edge by filling with CA and re-drilling smaller ones to match the rest of the airframe.

I also redefined the area where the intake blends into the main structure (has a bit of a curve in it.  Just realized i have to replace a raised panel on the top of the intake I added then removed....

Anyhoo, here's the mess I got myself into...

0s5ejS.jpg

And this is where I finished u last night, all now looks consistent with the rest of the airframe structure and a little more accurate.

rr6ur5.jpg

I am almost feeling brave enough to say the left side of the fuselage is done...

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Just now, Starfighter said:

Absolutely flawless work, Anthony - and as already mentioned, absolutely worth the time and effort! 

Thanks buddy!

I am going to start work on the surface details on the right hand side of the center fuselage section tonight.  I feel I am getting closer to having the fuse corrections done now.  With the nose section, tail section and left center section virtually done. I mostly only have to do the surface details on the right fuse center section.  Once those are done I guess I need to look at detailing the aux intake doors in front of the reheat cans and the cockpit.  Did I mention I hate doing cockpits???

Cheers Anthony

Amazing!!!  Love this stuff.

You've probably noticed in the last photo - the rear canopy emergency release handle(?) on the port side is slightly overlapped by inlet stuff.

I look forward to you thoroughly photographing every aspect of the final build for us punters who might want to give it a go.

KLP Ebook in the works?

Cheers,

Damian

11 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

A sure fire showstopper right there. Loving the processes and progress. 

Thank you sir!  lets hope I dont stuff the cockpit up...:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

I'd say this is some serious form of OCD, Anthony. You should seek professional help. :fight:

Cheers

Rainer

Hahah, yup.  Which one do you use...:D  

3 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Amazing!!!  Love this stuff.

You've probably noticed in the last photo - the rear canopy emergency release handle(?) on the port side is slightly overlapped by inlet stuff.

I look forward to you thoroughly photographing every aspect of the final build for us punters who might want to give it a go.

KLP Ebook in the works?

Cheers,

Damian

Thanks Damian

No mate, I had'nt spotted that so thank you I will fix it befire paint.  I have noted it down on my list now.  Hard to see in real life but super enlarged pics reveal all the flaws and missing details dont they!

I will find someone who is good at photography to take a ton of pics to help those out wanting to do the conversion themselves.  I am happy if Kev wants to put something together, or pin the thread but there would be a lot of clean up needed to reduce all the pages or no one will read it  LOL

Oh an interesting point has been brought up on BM tht the top vane on the intake vari ramps is actually a cable cutter and might have a saw tooth edge, something I will need to look into.  Yet another difference between FG.1 and FGR.2's?

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement.  The weekend is coming so hopefully I can make some progress on the left side surface details