ZM TA152 and Kyushu J7W1 limited re-release

RadBaron

Glad ZM changed their mind about re-issues of older kits. Weren’t these some of their first 1/32 aircraft? Is this a hint of future re-issues? I’d love to have their -152H-O. The H-1 seems to bite a lot of good modelers in the face, repeatedly. The Shinden is mighty tempting.

3 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

The HO is moulded in all grey plastic. The H1 comes in silver and grey and black for various sprue. The engine is moulded in silver plastic which IMO does not look as crisp as other parts in grey or black.  Still a great kit and only one I know of besides the limited run From Pacific. 

Can’t order from VolksUSA til 07/29/20

Paul C 

Thanks Paul.  What I meant was that the H-0 kit was released later and had been heavily re-engineered, with much better parts fit.  At least, that's what my memory tells me from vaguely recalled earlier reports.  Hoping to get some clarification on that, if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Michael

1 hour ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Thanks Paul.  What I meant was that the H-0 kit was released later and had been heavily re-engineered, with much better parts fit.  At least, that's what my memory tells me from vaguely recalled earlier reports.  Hoping to get some clarification on that, if anyone knows.

Damian Andrus reviewed the H-0 in box for LSP. He reported  that surface details were more refined, among other tweaks, but the overall engineering appears to be the same as the earlier H-1. I have read on another forum that at least one issue, the uneven surfaces produced by the modular wing design, was inherited. Worth noting that Damian Andrus reported that the re-tooling effort extended to the H-1 as well. Hope this helps.

Adam

Having just built the ZM Ta152H-0 (I'm in the finishing stages of its construction), I can emphatically state that while the kit may have been "re-engineered" to include better details, the parts fit is still iffy, especially in the wings.  I have this kit almost finished and it's giving me fits...most recently, attaching the main gear legs has popped all the seams on the leading edges of both wing and the seams for the outer portion of the wings.  I am not a happy camper but am not going to refinish the scalloped  camouflage wing leading edges that now have a nice seam line through them. 

10 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Damian Andrus reviewed the H-0 in box for LSP. He reported  that surface details were more refined, among other tweaks, but the overall engineering appears to be the same as the earlier H-1. I have read on another forum that at least one issue, the uneven surfaces produced by the modular wing design, was inherited. Worth noting that Damian Andrus reported that the re-tooling effort extended to the H-1 as well. Hope this helps.

Adam

8 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Having just built the ZM Ta152H-0 (I'm in the finishing stages of its construction), I can emphatically state that while the kit may have been "re-engineered" to include better details, the parts fit is still iffy, especially in the wings.  I have this kit almost finished and it's giving me fits...most recently, attaching the main gear legs has popped all the seams on the leading edges of both wing and the seams for the outer portion of the wings.  I am not a happy camper but am not going to refinish the scalloped  camouflage wing leading edges that now have a nice seam line through them. 

Thank you both for your replies.  It's very helpful.  This is a plane that fascinates me, and I'd love to have a go at this kit.  Given what you've said, I may try to buy a kit once they're released later this month.  I have an 1/48 scale model of this that I built about 25 years ago, but perhaps needs replacement.  Here's a few photos.

Vk3eD7.jpg

pyTm8e.jpg

5NyzCb.jpg

This was all painted with brushes, as I didn't have an air brush.  But it was a fantastic kit, made by a manufacturer who's name escapes me but I think they went out of business.  It was extremely well detailed as you can see from the engine shot, which had about 50 parts in it.  There's plenty of LSP's about now with less detail.  On this kit, they provided metal hinges for the cowlings too which is something I like.  The only trouble is the model is getting old.  As I dusted it off to take these pics, the prop fell off :o.

So this is one that I'm keen to try again, but this time in 1/32 as my eyes aren't what they were 25 years ago :unsure: :blink:.  I've had a re-issue notice in with ZM for the H-0 kit for a while, but if you reckon the H-1 kit is about the same, then I'll definitely order it when it becomes available.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Michael

I never really understood the arrangement between Trimaster and Dragon. Dragon ended up Bringing the long awaited Ju-88 G6 to market under their name. It has been listed by Trimaster for years. Dragon also re-released the original Trimaster kits under their logo without all the Trimaster extras. I believe the last Trimaster kit was the TA-152 C which was in a white box with a black and white drawing of the aircraft. All in 1/48.  As I recall Trimaster’s Fe-190 D9 used the full wheel wheels from the FW-190 kits and did not have the rear of the engine exposed. I know the Dragon D9 has that error at least the early ones did. 

Most of the Dragon re-releases are still around. 

Paul C 

45 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

That was it!!  Thanks :D.  Did Dragon buy them out??

Cheers,

Michael

Dragon acquired all the extant Trimaster moulds at the time of the latter's demise, though I think they've been farmed out to other brands along the way.

Kev

A bit off the LSP topic but I still have these in the stash. I have build most of the Dragon re-issues but am a little reluctant to start these original Trimasters. 32 Years ago these were game changing in the  1/48 market and caused many other manufacturers to up their quality.

9-A4-E6-B9-B-437-B-4-BCB-BB3-C-375-DEF34

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

'. . . attaching the main gear legs has popped all the seams on the leading edges of both wing and the seams for the outer portion of the wings.'

Same thing happened to John (Thunnus) in his build.

Those Tri-Master kits are a thing of beauty.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Dragon acquired all the extant Trimaster moulds at the time of the latter's demise, though I think they've been farmed out to other brands along the way.

Kev

Yes Kev, i.e the TA 152 has been reboxed also by Italeri, Hasegawa....

Mold time line can be seen here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trimaster-ma-9-ta-152h-1--122226

In any brand, it's a very good kit.

Edited by rafju

I seem to remember that the Dragon kits were not as good as the Trimaster kits, so I never bought any.  But the Trimaster kits were all very good.  I built the TA-152H as you've seen, the Volksjager, ME-163S (two seat trainer) and five of their ME-262 variants: A-1a, B-1a, V-056 which was used for aerodynamic testing, V-083 which had the 57(?)mm cannon, and the V -464 bomber, in which the bomb aimer lay prone in the nose.  Some of the best kits I've ever had and amazing detail in 1/48, or so I thought at the time.  Still have them, though they're a little dusty!!

Cheers,

Michael

Apparently so. And it seems you can only buy one shinden at a time. 

2 hours ago, Steve C said:

So the Ta 152 H-1 is out of stock already?

Must have been a VERY limited re-release.

Steve