F6F-3 Hellcat..

williamj

10 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Beautifully done Bill!

Always liked the look of the Hellcat and you’ve definitely done it justice. 

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf....certainly not a Tamiya kit. be great if they did one though.Still waiting for an early Spitfire.

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looks awesome Bill.  I plan on doing the same.  I need to check out the in progress work.  Did you stuff any Trumpy bits into the fuselage?   Engine or cockpit items?   

Hey Troy...did not use any Trump cockpit parts..way to big for the Has. pit, used a combo of Eduard PE(for the Has.) Verlinden,(an old set) and CMK

I did use the Trumpeter engine and seriously regretted it afterwards...use the Has, engine and try to detail it yourself,you will be happier LOL. I actually hate that decision now.

We all learn from others mistakes here,Know I have.

The Trumpeter pit and glass are oversized ,too wide... you can see in the pic ,windscreen is the wrong shape .Gives you an idea as to how "fat" this area shouldn't be.

Had to cut up the main gear doors as well as they are too thick to use.used thin sheet.

And whatever you do don't forget the pitot at the tip of starboard wing (use the Has.right size)and paint it steel with a red body

because if you don't Martin will phone you at home.:P

Thanks again Troy..appreciate it.    Bill.:)

UOPccy.jpg

nice semi gloss to gloss finish.

RVpppw.jpg

ICWO5C.jpg

Edited by williamj

• 7 months later...

Yep, missed this one too, just tripped over it, but this is a great build, great finish, but most of all great kit bashing to get to this result.

I'd never have the "guts" nor time to try this out, have several Hasegawa Hellcats, and i'll just stick to the "original" with scratchbuild adaptations probably.

good show,

Jack.

What a gorgeous aeroplane, the Hellcat. You have captured the essential grace of Grumman's masterpiece. 

This deserves to be on a flight deck.

Grumman has always been my favourite. Grumman and Hawker.

Well done! :clap2: